Lower/outer chest

kdouthit34

Awards
I'm having trouble really gettin my chest defined. My biggest problem area is the lower/outer part of my pecs. Basically from my nipple to my armpit. Are there any workouts that really target that area? I've heard Gironda dips work well, but I'm a little hesitant to do those as they are really strenuous on the wrists and shoulders.

flauntboy

Awards
Do incline DB flys. Start with your hands wide open and bring your arms only half way instead of the typical inc db press.
Hi reps will make your outter chest explode.

Btw this is my first post!

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
Decline presses will help you... look up the correct form on youtube. Decline pressing is just good for overall chest development and it focuses more on the lower part. + if you have more bf % like me you'll prolly not get it defined well until you lose the BF

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dips and more dips. If you're worried about your wrists and shoulders, then buy some wraps and make sure your technique is always good.

kdouthit34

Awards
Do incline DB flys. Start with your hands wide open and bring your arms only half way instead of the typical inc db press.
Hi reps will make your outter chest explode.

Btw this is my first post!
I have actually added incline DB flys recently, but I go all the way out and all the way in. I'll have to give your way a try.

kdouthit34

Awards
Decline presses will help you... look up the correct form on youtube. Decline pressing is just good for overall chest development and it focuses more on the lower part. + if you have more bf % like me you'll prolly not get it defined well until you lose the BF
I already have decline bench in my routine, but I prefer DB rather than with a bar. Is that better or worse?

kdouthit34

Awards
Dips and more dips. If you're worried about your wrists and shoulders, then buy some wraps and make sure your technique is always good.
Lol if there is one workout I never skip, its dips. I do chest dips on chest days and tricep dips on arm days. Both weighted, 5 sets with 15, 12, 10, 8, 5 reps. I up the weight every other set. With that said, I have no complaints about my inner chest. At all. The only time I've ever felt discomfort was with Gironda dips. They're a dip with reverse-grip (palms out) and your legs extended straight out.

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
I already have decline bench in my routine, but I prefer DB rather than with a bar. Is that better or worse?
It's not about it's bad or worse, it about DOES IT SUITS YOU OR NOT? I also prefer dumbbells more cause of some reasons. If you feel more natural with dumbbells then you should go on with dumbbells. It's gonna take time thou, don't expect it to work magic in some weeks.

kdouthit34

Awards
It's not about it's bad or worse, it about DOES IT SUITS YOU OR NOT? I also prefer dumbbells more cause of some reasons. If you feel more natural with dumbbells then you should go on with dumbbells. It's gonna take time thou, don't expect it to work magic in some weeks.
Tbh, it really doesn't make a big difference as far as comfort. Not to me anyways. The only reason I use dumbells is if the weight gets too heavy or my arms gas out, I don't need a spotter. I can just push the DBs aside. Better than dropping a bar on your neck lol.

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
Tbh, it really doesn't make a big difference as far as comfort. Not to me anyways. The only reason I use dumbells is if the weight gets too heavy or my arms gas out, I don't need a spotter. I can just push the DBs aside. Better than dropping a bar on your neck lol.
That's one of the reasons I prefer dumbbells too.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
If you have access to a dip machine, try loading it up and using a grip halfway between a typical dip grip and a gironda grip. Sort of like you'd be holding a bar pushing straight down. Then just try and get the mind in the muscle and feel the squeeze in the lower pec throughout the movement. TUT is going to be your friend.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
There's no such thing as a lower or outter chest muscle. The pectoralis major is one muscle with two heads: the clavicular head and the sternal head. The sternal head is the lower head and the clavicular head is the upper head. You can hit the upper head and lower head harder depending on the angle of the incline, but inner and outter is nonexistent.

liljohn

Awards
There's no such thing as a lower or outter chest muscle. The pectoralis major is one muscle with two heads: the clavicular head and the sternal head. The sternal head is the lower head and the clavicular head is the upper head. You can hit the upper head and lower head harder depending on the angle of the incline, but inner and outter is nonexistent.
You're cool

Last edited:
asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
im surprised no one has said diet yet.

cokeholio

cokeholio

Awards
  • Established
It was mentioned to drop BF I think that's a solid idea