Cardio post workout question

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
True or false doing cardio directly after you workout will put your body in a catabolic state...pretty much wasting your workout? Also what about your post workout shake? Thanks

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Your body will be in a catabolic state (needs to be to produce fuel). Do you mean a constant state of catabolism? i.e breakdown of muscles/fat etc.? This will only occur is exercise is vigorous and intensive followed by lack of recovery and poor nutrition. When your body is at rest, it enters an anabolic state (building up of muscle tissue etc.).

The main problem with cardio directly after working out is the lack of muscle glycogen (resulting in poor performance), just ensure your "during" exercise nutrition is in check and you should be ok.

The Storm16

Awards
True or false doing cardio directly after you workout will put your body in a catabolic state...pretty much wasting your workout? Also what about your post workout shake? Thanks
False. Doing low intensity cardio right after your workout is a great idea...as long as its short. Theres a study showing that low intensity steady state cardio for about 15 mins immediately after a lift burns more calories than steady state without lifting(i think it was specifically more oxidation not just calories). In other words, you get more bang for your buck. After the 10-15 mins immediately after you lift, however, it is less effective so lift, walk for 10 mins and have a shake...I'm not at my computer but I'll try to remember to send that study when I'm at it. You may need to remind me haha

The only thing that stops you from going catabolic post workout is an insulin spike, which is why everyone should have protein and a simple/complex carbs after they workout. But this spike in insulin will stop your body from burning fat so lift, do a little walking and then have the shake. 10 mins won't make a difference in terms of getting good post workout nutrition so you won't undo your lift....unless you go hit the stair master for like 40 mins, a short cardio session is good

Claytonr4

Claytonr4

Awards
I just do a few quick sprints to get my heart pumping

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There is some research that shows that doing cardio after lifting reduces the initiation of protein synthesis. Now, whether that is an acute transient reduction (i.e.: temporarily decrease then returning to baseline) or long term, I haven't seen anything to point either way.

In a real life setting, will doing cardio directly after working out result in muscle loss or decrease gains - no, not so long as your nutrition covers your activity.

Br

And I like the idea of doing some quick HIIT conditioning post workout. 4-5 prowler or car pushes after an upper body workout is great.

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
There is some research that shows that doing cardio after lifting reduces the initiation of protein synthesis. Now, whether that is an acute transient reduction (i.e.: temporarily decrease then returning to baseline) or long term, I haven't seen anything to point either way.

In a real life setting, will doing cardio directly after working out result in muscle loss or decrease gains - no, not so long as your nutrition covers your activity.

Br

And I like the idea of doing some quick HIIT conditioning post workout. 4-5 prowler or car pushes after an upper body workout is great.
^^ THIS.

Right said man. Nutrition is the key, if it covers up your activity u are all good to go.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hasent hurt me. I used to do jump rope plus ball slams after my workout. Make sure its the right cardio for you. Ectomorphs shouldnt,messo morphs should do low intensity if they want and endos should do high intensity 1 to 3 x a week to prime for the hell your about to unleash in the form of carbs. I have endo propertys where carbs are present. High intensity helps me bulk with out fat gain or atleast minimize. Look up cardio and effect on carbs post workout.

Hope I helped!

My pwo shake consist of 1 scoop whey. When I get home I down complex carbs ,pwo supps and more protien. No pwo carb powder please.

flauntboy

Awards
Your workout is by default catabolic, you are tearing muscle fibers apart and burning glycogen and breaking amino acids ( when you do too much or your blood sugar is low )!
So dont blame the cardio.

But on the bright side, cardio after workout will make the blood flow faster,washing the lactic acid away which your muscles produce during the work out and it helps your muscle to recover faster.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your body is going to be in a catabolic state post-training , period, but doing post-weights cardio is not going to hurt you or be detrimental to your results as long as your nutrition is on point for what you want to achieve.

Whether you use a post-workout shake is entirely up to you, as is when you have it (if you do).

~Rosie~

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Your body is going to be in a catabolic state post-training , period, but doing post-weights cardio is not going to hurt you or be detrimental to your results as long as your nutrition is on point for what you want to achieve.

Whether you use a post-workout shake is entirely up to you, as is when you have it (if you do).

~Rosie~
So 15 min pre workout cardio burning about 150 cals and the same post workout then a protein shake will be good for weight loss without eating my muscle?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So 15 min pre workout cardio burning about 150 cals and the same post workout then a protein shake will be good for weight loss without eating my muscle?
I always suggest mobility drills and corrective exercises preworkout as the warm up, and then some HIIT conditioning post workout.

Br

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I always suggest mobility drills and corrective exercises preworkout as the warm up, and then some HIIT conditioning post workout.

Br
What is corrective exercises? And what if I can't do hiit bc I only have 1 properly working lung due to pneumonia last November that went untreated

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Muscle burn myth*facepalm*As long as your at a calorie surplus cardio can even help you!Usually the only time people do cardio is when dieting.The calorie deficit state is what burns muscle.The cardio is safe as long as you eat in a surplus.If you fill the need you can actually try and eat back the calories you burned if your paranoid but a surplus /week should keep your hard earned gains while building new ones.Prme example?Football players,FIFA players,Martial artist,Ect ect.Look scooby up on youtube.Hes a marathon runner.Like half ironmans...and built like a brick house.Natural too,seeing as he hasent gained mass in 10 years haha.Genetic potential and all.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I never look at how many calories are being burnt - kind of means nothing, IMO. Like I said, your NUTRITION THROUGHOUT the day will determine whether or not you lose any muscle mass if attempting fat loss, and you should be trying to PRESERVE what muscle you have as your #1 aim, fat loss only a SECONDARY benefit re fat loss goals, IMO. You really need to experiment with what is going to work best for YOU.

~Rosie~

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What is corrective exercises? And what if I can't do hiit bc I only have 1 properly working lung due to pneumonia last November that went untreated
Hmm...that is a good question. What are your restrictions as far as exercise goes? I can't see you being unable to perform HIIT, only being limited in the amount and intensity of work you can do. And, exercise induced hypoxia may actually provide some (albeit, small) benefit WRT fat loss and body composition.

Br

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmm...that is a good question. What are your restrictions as far as exercise goes? I can't see you being unable to perform HIIT, only being limited in the amount and intensity of work you can do. And, exercise induced hypoxia may actually provide some (albeit, small) benefit WRT fat loss and body composition.

Br
I could get on the elliptical post workout like usual and go as hard as I can for 60 secs then slow for 2 mins then Repeat a few times...would that be better then just moderate cardio post workout? My goal is fat loss I have a stupid belly that won't go away and my diet is truly on point at 2k cals

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do about 30 minutes cardio post workout and it's Doing wonders for me. A lot better then when I did it pre workout. Like mentioned before you just have to make sure your diet is on point.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I could get on the elliptical post workout like usual and go as hard as I can for 60 secs then slow for 2 mins then Repeat a few times...would that be better then just moderate cardio post workout? My goal is fat loss I have a stupid belly that won't go away and my diet is truly on point at 2k cals
Yeah, that works out well. You could do one day of 60 sec all out with a 2 min rest, and another day of 20 sec all out with a 90 sec rest.

Correctives are similar to mobility drills with a greater emphasis on muscle activation during the stretch (i.e.: lower trap activation, gluteal activation, etc.)

Br

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, its really dificult when to know when muscle is being burnt. being in a calorie deficit does not mean muscle is being broken down if you keep youe meals timed well throughout the day. Keep your body fuelled and it has no reason to break down muscle. As to what you fuel your body with, that is entirely depenadnt on what you hope to achieve (body composition wise). I would suggest (if aiming to decrease body fat), that you add protein to every meal (preferably from animal sources or from a mixture of plant sources) and time CHO intake well.

However, a point to note is that low intensity cardio increase the proportion of fat to CHO utilisation during exercise, i.e. a higher proportion of fat is burned as fuel and less CHO is used HOWEVER during higher intensity exercise (60-70ish% Vo2 max), the proportion of fat used as fuel drops and CHO relience increases however the volume of fat burned is higher, also higher intensity work creates an 'after-burn' which increases caloric needs.

So yeah, follow Reds advice and go as hard as you can to get the most benefit of the fat burn.

Good Luck, I hope this makes sense.

anoopbal

Awards
I am guessing Zirered is taling about this study:

J Appl Physiol. 2012 May 24. [Epub ahead of print]
Low Muscle Glycogen Concentration Does Not Suppress the Anabolic Response to Resistance Exercise.
Camera DM, West DW, Burd NA, Phillips SM, Garnham AP, Hawley JA, Coffey VG.
Source

1RMIT University.
Abstract

We determined the effect of muscle glycogen concentration and post-exercise nutrition on anabolic signaling and rates of myofibrillar protein synthesis after resistance exercise (REX). Sixteen young, healthy males matched for age, body mass, peak oxygen uptake (VO(2peak)) and strength (one repetition maximum; 1RM) were randomly assigned to either a nutrient or placebo group. After 48 h diet and exercise control, subjects undertook a glycogen-depletion protocol consisting of one-leg cycling to fatigue (LOW), while the other leg rested (NORM). The next morning following an overnight fast, a primed, constant infusion of L-[ring-(13)C(6)] phenylalanine was commenced and subjects completed 8 sets of 5 unilateral leg press repetitions at 80% 1RM. Immediately after REX and 2 h later, subjects consumed a 500 mL bolus of a protein/CHO (20 g whey + 40 g maltodextrin), or placebo beverage. Muscle biopsies from the vastus lateralis of both legs were taken at rest and 1 and 4 h after REX. Muscle glycogen concentration was higher in the NORM than LOW at all time points in both nutrient and placebo groups (P<0.05). Post-exercise Akt-p70S6K-rpS6 phosphorylation increased in both groups with no differences between legs (P < 0.05). mTOR(Ser2448) phosphorylation in placebo increased 1 h after exercise in NORM (P <0.05) while mTOR increased ~4 fold in LOW (P<0.01) and ~11 fold in NORM with nutrient (P <0.01; different between legs P < 0.05). Post-exercise rates of MPS were not different between NORM and LOW in nutrient (0.070 ± 0.022 vs. 0.068 ± 0.018 %(.)h(-1)) or placebo (0.045 ± 0.021 vs. 0.049 ± 0.017 %(.)h(-1)). We conclude that commencing high-intensity REX with low muscle glycogen availability does not compromise the anabolic signal and subsequent rates of MPS, at least during the early (4 h) post-exercise recovery period.