Vertical jump

CPennington

CPennington

Awards
Hey guys just looking for any and all advice on building a better vertical leap with training.

CPennington

CPennington

Awards
No I've just started to try to get my vert up, I've just done normal leg training up till now, squats, leg press, lunges ect

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You could add some plyometrics into your routine. Box jumps would be a good place to start.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
work the explosive power of the hips. cleans, snatches and their variations will help a lot. as well as practicing your jumping skills.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DE box squats and glute-ham raises. When done properly, GHRs mimic the triple-extensions of a vertical jump.

CPennington

CPennington

Awards
Thanks guys, looks like some great places to start from :)

The Storm16

Awards
Vertical is a combination of strength and speed. You have to be strong and you have to exert that strength quickly. Cleans are great if you can do them well. If not, dumbbell snatches and kettle bell swings are great for explosive hips.

Plyometrics are key for agility and vertical. When doing box jumps, you want to be sure to land as softly and quietly as possible. Don't stomp your feet when you land. You want to absorb that force and remain balanced. By absorb I don't mean let your butt bounce on the back of your ankles like an Olympic lifter catching a clean, I mean control your impact.... Don't do box jumps every day either. Once every 3-4 days is better and don't do 100 jumps each time. Do a couple sets of 8 or so and take your time to set up before each one. If you look up Mike Boyle, you'll find some great information on all this

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Vertical is a combination of strength and speed. You have to be strong and you have to exert that strength quickly. Cleans are great if you can do them well. If not, dumbbell snatches and kettle bell swings are great for explosive hips.

Plyometrics are key for agility and vertical. When doing box jumps, you want to be sure to land as softly and quietly as possible. Don't stomp your feet when you land. You want to absorb that force and remain balanced. By absorb I don't mean let your butt bounce on the back of your ankles like an Olympic lifter catching a clean, I mean control your impact.... Don't do box jumps every day either. Once every 3-4 days is better and don't do 100 jumps each time. Do a couple sets of 8 or so and take your time to set up before each one. If you look up Mike Boyle, you'll find some great information on all this
Mike Boyle definitely knows what he's doing. I used to train with him years ago.

zalar4

Awards
explosive movements are key. Such as snatches. I also find deadlifts and squats very helpful. I strong core is very important too. Doing agility training and plyos are key- such as jumping with weight ball touching it on back board or jump off box then right up, resistance band jumping and running is very beneficial as well.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes to all the above advice.

Strong ass hips (pun intended!) equals athletic dominance.

Br

The Storm16

Awards
explosive movements are key. Such as snatches. I also find deadlifts and squats very helpful. I strong core is very important too. Doing agility training and plyos are key- such as jumping with weight ball touching it on back board or jump off box then right up, resistance band jumping and running is very beneficial as well.
i certainly agree that snatches can be beneficial. that said, given the nature of the movement (50% is above your head), your shoulders will usually get tired before your legs or hips. if your shoulders don't get tired first, you're probably doing them wrong and risking potentially serious shoulder injury. unless you have great shoulder mobility, i would start with cleans and slowly work your way to snatches as you increase your thoracic mobility--emphasis on slowly.

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
Box jumps and squats did more for my vertical than anything. Before I busted my leg I had gotten up to a 40" vertical doin squats twice a week on lift days and box jumps twice a week on cardio days along with occasionally jumping up the bleachers in the basketball gym.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i certainly agree that snatches can be beneficial. that said, given the nature of the movement (50% is above your head), your shoulders will usually get tired before your legs or hips. if your shoulders don't get tired first, you're probably doing them wrong and risking potentially serious shoulder injury. unless you have great shoulder mobility, i would start with cleans and slowly work your way to snatches as you increase your thoracic mobility--emphasis on slowly.
Granted the snatch is an overhead movement....but the power is still derived from the hips. The shoulders, especially the deltoids and arms, have very little part in the movement beyond stabilization. In fact, I might go so far to say that if your shoulders are fatiguing before your hips then you need to re-vamp your technique.

Everything else in your post I'm in agreement with.

Br

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Informative thread :yup:

sprintstar01

Awards
Get strong in the squat and deadlift. Then you can supplement box jumps and powerful movements like the clean and snatch. I've had good success with banded speed squats also.

themondtster

themondtster

Awards
Snatch pulls work great. Power cleans, clean and jerks and snatches are next in line. Then sled drags, weighted sprints, progressive box jumps. You could do the explosive Olympic lifts one day. Then squats, Deadlifts, split squats, box squats, etc. another. Then on day three do the conditioning exercises like 100% sprints, deep squats(body weight), shock squats(body weight), vertical jumps(body weight), weighted sled drags. If your training for a specific reason then you shouldn't worry about anything else. Take a rest day in between each and follow the routine for several months changing it up every couple weeks.