5x5 then supersets/giant sets

adeadbodyman

Awards
So I need some advice from some of you pro's on possible overtraining. I have been doing the following routines I made up, but by the last set I am just flat wore out, and I am wondering if I am doing too much at once. This is just one of my giant sets I do.

Shoulders and Chest:

Upright Row with EZ bar 5x5 w/80lbs
then immediatly move to:

1 set of 15 of the following:

Lying Dumbell Shoulder Press with 50 lb dumbells
Standing Side Bent Arm/Shoulder Raises with 25 lb dumbells
Standing Front Straight Arm Raises with 20 lb dumbells
Sitting Overhead Shoulder Press (kinda like military) with 45lb dumbells
Smith machine Shrugs @120 lbs, but only 10 times

The only break inbetween any of these is just walking over to it. I have it all set up ready to go, so when I am doing this, I am fuggin doin' it!!

After all that I will take a 1 min. break then move onto this:

5x5
Flat Bench with 180 lbs.

then immediatly to this superset of 15 reps

Lying Chest Fly's with 50 lb dumbells
Decline Bench with 140 lbs
15 push ups with hands back at side of ribs

1 min. break

Then do it all again 2 more times, and just add in the other 2 sets of Flat Bench and Upright Rows to complete my 5x5's.

I am trying to add some size to my chest/shoulders/neck area. I thought if I used a heavy 5x5 at first to break the muscle down, then do some immediate high reps to pump blood, I could do it. But like I said, by the 3rd set, I can't get all 15 reps in everything.

Is this OK, or should I be doing more/less/different to add some size up top?

Thanks everyone!!!
GUNS!!!!

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
you are overthinking this.

stankyleg

stankyleg

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Geez man. I thought I was over thinking my training. To be honest, I don't think the extra work of setting up all those stations will yield result in any extra gain. You are all over it as far as heavy range / pump range goes. Pick a plan that uses that idea or overall volume and eat. Eating is probably 70% of growth.

Bigez

Awards
I am old school powerlifter.Do heavy compund movements first so you can go all out for maximum effort in minimum time.Bench,squat,deadlift,military press,heavy rows,and drop so much accessory work.Choose one accessory movement to compliment the muscle group.Chest should be bench all out,then incline flyes and a tricep movement 8 to 10 reps.It is very easy to over train without even realizing it.Same for the other major groups.You go all out on the major lifts you won't be able to do so much other stuff,and you will surely get stronger and get bigger.Protein couple hours before workout followed by protein,creatine,glutamine,bcaa's within the anabolic window(30 min to 2 hrs after workout) for recovery and to help with soreness.

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
I am old school powerlifter.Do heavy compund movements first so you can go all out for maximum effort in minimum time.Bench,squat,deadlift,military press,heavy rows,and drop so much accessory work.Choose one accessory movement to compliment the muscle group.Chest should be bench all out,then incline flyes and a tricep movement 8 to 10 reps.It is very easy to over train without even realizing it.Same for the other major groups.You go all out on the major lifts you won't be able to do so much other stuff,and you will surely get stronger and get bigger.Protein couple hours before workout followed by protein,creatine,glutamine,bcaa's within the anabolic window(30 min to 2 hrs after workout) for recovery and to help with soreness.
agreed. always do compounds first for max growth... eat like a horse. you arent going to get bigger if your not eating tons.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
You'll know if your overtraining. Overtraining is not simply not being able to complete sets, thats just your body getting fatigued.. If you were over training ,which you most likely arnt, you probly wouldnt even feel like going to the gym.

adeadbodyman

Awards
great, thanks guys!!!

I will try to ease up some on the "accesories" and go more for heavywieght low reps then.

mike

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I agree on many points here , I do wendler 5/3/1 to build strength and mass , and I have had awesome results lately , key IS to do compounds first , heavy and strong , even low volume and THEN do the accesory work and punish yourself with high volume. This approach helps target the slow and fast twitch muscle fibers and enhace metabolism AND growth , but to all this...You gotta pound those kCals IN!! Loads of Carbs and healthy fats along with your protein needs!! Don't be afraid to be in caloric surplus and gaining fat! Fat can be shed away and leave a nice muscle base if cutting cycle comes around properly!! , bulking is the BEST!! Power+foods=awesomeness!!

adeadbodyman

Awards
i wonder if that is some of it as well, the carbs. I am doing a Carb Cycling diet, staying at 50g daily, then reloading with 250 on the weekend. Good carbs, not trash. But maybe I am in the deficit during a workout. Low Carb straight peels the fat off of me, I just don't want to get it back.
thanks

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
i wonder if that is some of it as well, the carbs. I am doing a Carb Cycling diet, staying at 50g daily, then reloading with 250 on the weekend. Good carbs, not trash. But maybe I am in the deficit during a workout. Low Carb straight peels the fat off of me, I just don't want to get it back.
thanks
Dont worry about fat if youre bulking bro. I eat 3800 cals a day with 400+ carbs on an all out bulk. Id like to think it works very well.