To dip or not to dip

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by AutoKal47 View Post
    Dips are absolutely great, I love 'em
    They used to be considered the upper body squats

I've always had them in my chest day, heavily weighted, lotsa sets, dropsets etc..
    but recently I've been starting this protocol: every workout day (6 a week) I do both dips and
    pullups/chinups with a 2:3 ratio in favor of these last ones, usually at least 4 sets each,
    always weighted to some extent, I swap the timing depending on the day, they can be at the
    beginning, middle, as finisher, and of course I keep them on chest day as one of the first 3 exercies,
    high volume, big weights.
    Gotta love dips!
    Couldnt agree more here, I love the low volume Heavy heavy weight combo for this on chest day , and keeping a high volume other days , for me its 4 days a week when I lift, and when I do chest and OH press I always keep them in , chest day will be heavy for around 5 sets around 10-15 reps , and OH press day will be for high volume and sometimes weighted ^^ it feels amazing!!! I am now curious to throw them in at a ratio like that , normale chins/pull ups for me are the other 2 days , 1 day chins , one day pull ups on deadlift and squat day respectively oO!!!
    Anyway xD cant replace or take out the dips!! Even less for what a phoney like the one in the video says, he is a schmuck !

On a side note: Made the almond butter cookies and the cheesecake today :'3 bless you buddy , keep it up with the recipes!! I still got left over frozen chicken from the latest recipe!

2. I do them three times a week. I love them.

start off at 15-20 reps for a warmup
    then 45lbs for 8-10 reps (failure) then drop set with no weight until failure for two sets
    Then Finnish off with 12-15 reps with no weight.
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html
    •   

3. Dips are great because they are muli-joint very effective! Risk to reward, if you have shoulder problems work with ur PT and rehab!!

4. Quote Originally Posted by AutoKal47 View Post
    yep
    now post chest day happens to be my only day off, but the one before, yes
    Wow, I would think that all the chins on on top of regular back routine over work the back, but everyone is different.

I don't think that dipping for me more than twice a week would start to create shoulder problems.

Thanks for your posts.

5. Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf0420 View Post
    Wow, I would think that all the chins on on top of regular back routine over work the back, but everyone is different.

I don't think that dipping for me more than twice a week would start to create shoulder problems.

Thanks for your posts.
    I don't know your stats but think this: when's the last time you've seen someone and thought "damn his back is too big!"

What I'm saying is, the back is such complicated complex of muscles and it's really the base for any lift.
    In my opinion people tend to focus too much on arms, chest, legs and never enough on the back, especially the trap/mid back
    if anything is always the lats ya know? My chest started to grow again after a stall when I started to really focus on my back,
    my arms (I have long a## arms that look thin no matter what) same thing.. This is why I keep - and why the protocol is that way -
    the ratio always in favor of pullups/chinups. Different grips, different width, side to side (my fav!) etc..
    plus is really challenging if you do it with proper form.

As for the shoulder problems with dips, that is something to watch out for, it depends on your body type and overall is very subjective
    I hurt my left shoulder pretty badly some month ago doing DB press, it took a while to heal 100%, dips didn't bother me at all
    but DB and BB presses were, so like I said, subjective
    If it hurts tho', once you're sure is not your form, don't do it or do volume instead of heavy weight on a given exercise,
    don't power thru the pain especially with shoulders, don't be like me lol
    ..:: ENHANCED BODY FORMULATIONS ::..
    Recompadrol & AAV2 - PM me with any questions

•   

6. dips hurt? that sucks, and ithought i had it bad with straight bar bicep curls! if you can do them without pain, do them leaning forward and backward. and theyre awesome.

7. I managed a new PR on dips last night

20 body weight dips to warm up
    66pounds x8
    45 pounds x10
    25 pounds x 7
    bodyweight x12

I also see chins in the discussion now

For back i did:
    5 sets of 12 pullups

then later for more influence on the arms
    1 set 15 chins
    1 set of 10 with 22 pounds
    3 sets of 6 (BW) with a 10 second negative supersetted with cable curls.

Those last three sets bring pain!
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html

8. Thanks for your input.

I'm all for a wide back, I just don't want to over train my back. Chin's also exhaust my shoulders.

9. I am doing an expanded Madcow program right now, and throw dips in on bench day (M&F)

I am trying to keep to the 5x5 program on anything I add to the workout, so my dip workout looks like this.
    5 x bodyweight
    5 x bw + 90 lbs.
    5 x bw + 135 lbs.
    5 x bw + 180 lbs.

going to up it all 5 pounds on Friday.
    I was stalled out for a long time on my bench, got a huge jump when I added weighted dips. Now its mandatory at least twice a week.
  •