Stronger Core Without Doing Situps

FubarFit

Awards
So I read all about the bodies core and I found a lot of interesting information that I did not know and thought I would share. For starters the core is important for everyday use and strengthening it will increase your other main lifts. I also found out that situps and crunches are not considered useful to many trainers because they have negative affects on the spine and do not use the core muscles in a way that they are designed to be used.
Does anybody else want to weigh in on this, because this is new to me but really makes a lot of sense.

Here are the links to sites I read with explanations and some solid workouts.

7 Best Ab Exercises With Kettlebells | Meglio Fitness

T NATION | 21st Century Core Training

Understanding Your Abs, Part II | Robertson Training Systems

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
good reads.

sal

Awards
Get an slings or bags amazing results no need for core workout

FLAwrestler88

Awards
Utilize a lot of single arm movements in your routine. Such as a standing single arm DB strict "arnold" press, stability ball DB presses, single arm DB presses...things of that nature

Remember your core also includes your lower back as well, i like to include "direct" core work with lower body days, as long as lower back

Utilize standing AB work, such as band AB pull downs, banded oblique twists, or in typical gym, using the cables work good

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Would love a gym with a yoke. That's right, the device used by strongmen in competitions that looks like a squat rack and they hoist it up and walk with it. I've heard that's the single best way to train abs, especially if you're aiming to increase you squat and deadlift.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Would love a gym with a yoke. That's right, the device used by strongmen in competitions that looks like a squat rack and they hoist it up and walk with it. I've heard that's the single best way to train abs, especially if you're aiming to increase you squat and deadlift.
you can also do front squat holds/partials far above what you normally use and zerchers.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
you can also do front squat holds/partials far above what you normally use and zerchers.
I'd try that if my form didn't lick dick, but I'll keep working on it. Thanks for the tips.

EDIT: I could try Zechers, that's true.

16gamer

16gamer

Awards
Wouldn't overhead squats work the core also?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established