Cold Laser Therapy and Chiropractic sessions for bulging disc's

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is there anyone here on AM that is suffering from bulging disc's? or had bulging disc's in the past? If so how have you managed to fix the problem.

Also looking for feedback on anyone that has had back issues, that has tried Cold Laser Therapy and(or) Chiropractic sessions.

I had an MRI done last year, results showed 1 bulging disc. Last week I got a cat scan and now I have 2 bulging disc's and my sacrum looks to be shifted a little near the nerv. So obviously me going light on training isn't light enough or I'm rehabing my lowerback wrong. I guess my issue is that I don't like to take things slow, did very little therapy before starting to do back extensions and hypers, to squats, back to boxing and now it has just got worse. I am now only doing light therapy exercises every second day, with stretching and core work.

I'm going to the doctors tomorrow to get a referral to see another surgeon, the one I saw didn't want to listen to a thing I said, I was in and out of the place in 4 min, I asked if there is anything I can do, he told me "no, your going to have to deal with this for the rest of your life, stuff like this will never get better, later on it will start hitting the nerv, once this happends I will do surgery" Than he left and thats it. Maybe a second opinion will be better...

Also tomorrow I'm going to see a really good physiotherapist and get his thoughts on everything. I have one guy that goes to my gym that is a chiropractor's assistant, tells me 5 weeks of adjustments and cold laser therapy, along with lower back therapy and I'll be feeling 100% again..... now this is $1200 for 5 weeks, pretty pricey, but well worth it if my back can heal up. Just not sure if I'm going to go through with that yet, I want to get as much info and everyone's thoughts on this before I jump the gun. I have looked up feedback online, but it seems to be on all these laser therapy sites, which make me question how legit it is, doing some more searching now, but figured I'll see if I can get some feedback on here too. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I suffer from herniated discs in my upper back and had very little help from chiro visits. Did not have any laser treatment, the only thing that seemed to help with my pain was getting back in the gym and strengthening my muscles in my back and shoulders. Hope you find what works for you! I have been having very little pain for going on a year and a half now!

M

Mmyamahar6

Awards
I have two bulging discs in my back I did physical therapy twice a day for about three months no laser treatments though it didnt help eventually after much praying and having my pastor anoint me wirh oil and being as careful as possible not to agitate it it healed I'm not saying it went away but my body adapted to it the doctor said muscle will eventually build a sort of shell to protect the nerve and in my opinion God did an amazing work I dont know were you stand with the Lord but you should think about prayer and ask others maybe your loved ones to pray for you

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I can't imagine trying the therapy exercises twice a day, but maybe that is something that it needs as well, obviously w.e I've been doing hasn't been working. I'm not as close to the Lord as I used to be, have been starting to change that lately, I hope with prayer I can find my way out of this mess I've put myself in over the last year.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't care who recommended you to this doctor who brushed you off, or what his credentials are, but if anyone ever treats you like time it's time to ditch him and look elsewhere. The guy clearly had a bad attitude, whatever the reason, and you need to find someone who will listen to you, who cares, and who is on top of the research in his field, and can suggest different things to try and help tackle the situation. You know, you very well might have what might be deemed in medicine as a "classic case" that you will not be able to "fix." That doesn't mean there aren't measures to slow down, stop, or reverse the progression of your condition. So definitely check around for other opinions. I know, this may cost you a pretty penny going around to different doctors, though it helps to have insurance for sure. Maybe others here may be able to contribute some other suggestions as to how to accomplish this cost effectively.

But no, no personal experience with herniated discs or the therapies described. I had a host of medical issues, though, when I was a kid, and some doctors brushed me off, saying "welp, don't really know what's wrong. We can't ever know. Nothing can be done, we just have to sit and wait." Obviously, I dropped that doctor immediately after he uttered those words, and the next guy pointed me out to somebody who nailed my condition on the head. It happened to be an upper respiratory condition that wasn't really defined at the time, but a series of treatments with certain inhalers and asthma medications went a truly long way, and here I am operating like anybody else.

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't care who recommended you to this doctor who brushed you off, or what his credentials are, but if anyone ever treats you like time it's time to ditch him and look elsewhere. The guy clearly had a bad attitude, whatever the reason, and you need to find someone who will listen to you, who cares, and who is on top of the research in his field, and can suggest different things to try and help tackle the situation. You know, you very well might have what might be deemed in medicine as a "classic case" that you will not be able to "fix." That doesn't mean there aren't measures to slow down, stop, or reverse the progression of your condition. So definitely check around for other opinions. I know, this may cost you a pretty penny going around to different doctors, though it helps to have insurance for sure. Maybe others here may be able to contribute some other suggestions as to how to accomplish this cost effectively.

But no, no personal experience with herniated discs or the therapies described. I had a host of medical issues, though, when I was a kid, and some doctors brushed me off, saying "welp, don't really know what's wrong. We can't ever know. Nothing can be done, we just have to sit and wait." Obviously, I dropped that doctor immediately after he uttered those words, and the next guy pointed me out to somebody who nailed my condition on the head. It happened to be an upper respiratory condition that wasn't really defined at the time, but a series of treatments with certain inhalers and asthma medications went a truly long way, and here I am operating like anybody else.
thanks!

Yeah, def gonna see another surgeon, also get a this physiotherapists point of view on the laser therapy and chiro treatments.

ISU152

ISU152

Awards
I actually have a cracked vertebrae...but that's a whole other story that doesn't need to be discussed lol. As far as cold laser therapy. I had an extreme stretch/pull of my bicipital tendon and drove 45 EOD to get cold laser therapy to heal as fast as possible. (it happened mid-season). Did the cold laser bull **** for a month and noticed nothing. As far as I'm concerned it's just another chiropractor rip off

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I actually have a cracked vertebrae...but that's a whole other story that doesn't need to be discussed lol. As far as cold laser therapy. I had an extreme stretch/pull of my bicipital tendon and drove 45 EOD to get cold laser therapy to heal as fast as possible. (it happened mid-season). Did the cold laser bull **** for a month and noticed nothing. As far as I'm concerned it's just another chiropractor rip off
Yeah I had a Doctor look into and he was telling me the studies that were done on it only showed a 10% difference than the placebo testers :S

Just pulled the back again yesterday, freaking blows, gonna be stuck in bed all week now. Going to talk to a physiotherapist tomorrow and get his thoughts on what to do, going to cut down the upperbody lifts big time too now, my number one priority now is getting my back fixed.

I've done a lot of reading on bulging discs, chiropractic treatments, laser therapy and surgery. It honestly seems like lots of physiotherapy, stretches, rest and eating right is the best way to fix the problem.

ISU152

ISU152

Awards
Ive been dealing with this cracked vertebrae for 3 years and (besides the 6 epiderul shots I've received) the best thing to do is stretch. I went to physical therapy for about 6 months and came out in tears numerous times from stretching.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Judgement, whats the latest on you disc. I also had lower back problems after doing heavy deads on a regular basis (1x a week) for a while. Anyway, I went and had MRI done and showed that I have a bulging (herniated disc). Basically had some therapy done, and layed off the heavy lower body stuff for a while. Seems to have gotten better, but still have times where i get pains in my hamstrings/groin from my bulging disc in the L5-S1.

Just sucks because im pretty much have given up on DL'ing heavy. Trying to do more stretching and lower back/core strengthening stuff.

Looking into other types of stuff to help my back and came across the mckenzie method, etc.

Let me know what your latest update on your back it.

thanks

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Judgement, whats the latest on you disc. I also had lower back problems after doing heavy deads on a regular basis (1x a week) for a while. Anyway, I went and had MRI done and showed that I have a bulging (herniated disc). Basically had some therapy done, and layed off the heavy lower body stuff for a while. Seems to have gotten better, but still have times where i get pains in my hamstrings/groin from my bulging disc in the L5-S1.

Just sucks because im pretty much have given up on DL'ing heavy. Trying to do more stretching and lower back/core strengthening stuff.

Looking into other types of stuff to help my back and came across the mckenzie method, etc.

Let me know what your latest update on your back it.

thanks

I've tried the mckenzie, I didn't get much from it, seems like I tried everything for my back.

So I got my test levels checked, came back super low, 257ng total test. I decided to run test and deca, while focusing on mainly my lower back therapy exercises and weights. A few weeks in I started doing reverse hypers and back extensions, gotta say the test/deca cycle worked amazing, I ran test for 16 weeks and deca for 10 weeks. I'm just finished my last week of test now, start PCT Monday. My back seems to be pretty close to 100%, I still have some SI joint pain, but not near as bad, I can now do boxing 100% again, all my upper body lifts 100%, ab workouts, lower back workouts if it's just weighted reverse hypers or back extensions, I have yet to attempt heavy squats, I've been sticking with a lot of bodyweighted stuff, besides sled drags/running.

I havn't tried getting back into grappling yet, gonna focus on boxing for awhile first, but I have high hopes I can do grappling again. I'm very happy with the cycle, hopefully everything holds up in PCT, I'll report back.

learn

learn

Awards
  • Established
Judgement

I know this is an old thread but I am about to try this cold laser treatment as the chro and PT has done nothing to help. I haven't been able to lift since late november.

I may have to go the test deca route before I do the whole surgery thing

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Judgement

I know this is an old thread but I am about to try this cold laser treatment as the chro and PT has done nothing to help. I haven't been able to lift since late november.

I may have to go the test deca route before I do the whole surgery thing
Laser therapy and chiro seem to just hurt my lower back more.

The only thing that really helped my back was test/deca along with therapy exercises, reverse hypers, back extensions and planks. My back has sure did a compete turn, I remember how horrible it was 2 years straight of bad workouts. Finally I can do everything again, I do get some back pain still when I over do it, but not nerv/bulging disc pain, that type of pain everyday was unreal.

Hope you can turn it all around like I did, let me know how it goes.

learn

learn

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man I have been depressed and not wanting to do anything. jumpping off a cliff always comes to mind .... but thats not going to happen.
what doses were you running ? and what did you use to combat prolactin ?
Laser therapy and chiro seem to just hurt my lower back more.

The only thing that really helped my back was test/deca along with therapy exercises, reverse hypers, back extensions and planks. My back has sure did a compete turn, I remember how horrible it was 2 years straight of bad workouts. Finally I can do everything again, I do get some back pain still when I over do it, but not nerv/bulging disc pain, that type of pain everyday was unreal.

Hope you can turn it all around like I did, let me know how it goes.

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks man I have been depressed and not wanting to do anything. jumpping off a cliff always comes to mind .... but thats not going to happen.
what doses were you running ? and what did you use to combat prolactin ?
Yeah I hear you on being depressed with that type of thing, it's a horrible thing to go through, I remember one point trying to walk up the stairs and I couldn't do it without my legs shaking really bad from nervs going off, scarey to think maybe this is going to be for life.

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
In the end of 2011 I was at church praying, I remember bowing down and not being able to unbend my back. I thought that it might have been just some lower back pain, so I tried to treat myself with medical creams. Month and a half later the pain has increased tenfold and I cant do nothing. I went to the Doctor and explained myself and my situation and the doc wrote me up for a MRI asap. I ended up getting 2 MRI's, one on the Lumbar section of my spine and one on the neck section of my spine. The MRI showed 3 Hernia's 4 protrusions. 6.6mm Hernia on L5-S1, 5mm Hernia on L4-L5, and a 3mm Hernia on C2-C3. and several protrusions on the cervical and lumbar area.

After this I practically couldnt do anything for a whole year.After becomming handicapped I went from 190lbs 14%bf to 245lbs over 25%bf. Basically I ended up turning down surgery (eventhough I got top line military insurance the doc said that the paralyzation rates are 30%, and reoccurance 50%). After 42 days of hospitalization and therapy (in two 21 day incriments) I am back on my feet F**king things up. I still got the Hernia's and Protrusions, and they are still very dangerous. The only thing that changed after therapy is that the hernia's are not blocking my nervous canals. Thus I am experiencing far less pain. The pain could be described as a 800V shock that starts at the hip and travels throughout the leg into the toes. It can potentially take you off your feet... The Doc recommended I come down to atleast 16% bf in order to stop experiencing nerve pain. Currently I am at the lower 20% on a strict diet (christian orthodox lent diet)with 3 cheat days a month.

^ that was in an older post of mine about 5 month back. I also suffer your problems. I just got done with another 21 day hospitalization (3rd one) and I've never felt better. It's like the bulges and hernias aren't there. Bro I can recommend you a ton of **** but reality is, you need to find yourself the clinic that will handle you like they did for me. Each hospitalization cost me less than 1000 USD$ and this hospital I will forever return to is the ****, I owe them my life style.

T

tyrael

Awards
Hi, have you guys fully recovered? I have L5S1 disc bulge, will it ever heal? :( have rested for 2 years, I made a mistake of being inactive and just letting it heal, but it really didn't recover much.

thorsdad31

thorsdad31

Awards
  • Established
I bother with lower back pain i have 20% of my L5 vertebrae left . what does it for me is accupuncture and tons of stretching with inversion table and my chiro a few days a week .

thorsdad31

thorsdad31

Awards
  • Established
I forgot to mention traction therapy it helped me out alot most chiropractors offer it