arm size

Imsleepinmonkey

Awards
this is a hypothetical question. since most (average) people on the street will judge how big you are based on your arms, .. What size arms should you have to be considered *big* --average male 6'0 tall

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
guy's think 17" is big, girls think 15" is big

I had a girl recently tell me i was "buff like usher"....I dont hit women, but she was pushin me.

t_dot_porkchop

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
17" lean arms are a good, managable size....i'll take two, thanks!

Imsleepinmonkey

Awards

I had a girl recently tell me i was "buff like usher"....I dont hit women, but she was pushin me.
:rofl:
that bitch!!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have about 17.5 " and had someone recently tell me god granted me with two sets of legs...Made me feel like going back to the gym for another work out :) I probably have 1/2' of fat though I could shave off if not a little more but with people who don't go to the gym and with 13-14 inch arms they get impressed . Now if I could only drop the love handles.

gabriel

Awards
I have about 17.5 " and had someone recently tell me god granted me with two sets of legs...Made me feel like going back to the gym for another work out :) I probably have 1/2' of fat though I could shave off if not a little more but with people who don't go to the gym and with 13-14 inch arms they get impressed . Now if I could only drop the love handles.
i hear that
stupid handles

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
the appearence of your arms depend on many things. like i know these guys that go to my school, most of them are fat **** bouncers (another thing i never understood, why do bar managers think that fatass out of shape cuntbags make good bouncers, well thats for another day) that probably have 20 inch arms that look like ****, because you couldn't see a striation cut or peak or any hint of definition and detail. so it all depends because i know some cafeteria ladies at my school with 24 inch "guns". the tape measure usually don't mean ****.

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Damn, Omar, that was funny...the bouncers, the lunchladies...too true!

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Very few people are ripped with 17 or 18 inch arms. As soon as I start to diet, I lose the fat around my arms and face first.

krie1g

Awards
its strange but i have no intension measuring my arms. I know that when i'm bulking up they tend to grow or atleast they're looking full , I cant' even see my triceps , its like they are drowned. Its surtainly makes a big difference when I go outside with the feeling I got big arms even know they are not cut, just slightly cut. But when i'm cutting my arms they will start getting smaller and smaller like toothpics. I wish i could stay full all the time but bulking too often with fatty foods aint good. On the other hand my shoulders are so wide that they never tend me to look skinny. Got lucky with a large frame, long bones

I'm 25 , 230 lbs, 6'5" , 25% bodyfat

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've had my arms slightly past 20'' inches before and they never looked big to me. Now my freinds think I'm huge but I just don't see it. I guess its because I'm used to seeing myself in the mirror everyday. If I remeber right people started commenting on my arms when they hit around the 18'' mark.

BigBadBootyDady

Awards
I've had my arms slightly past 20'' inches before and they never looked big to me. Now my freinds think I'm huge but I just don't see it. I guess its because I'm used to seeing myself in the mirror everyday. If I remeber right people started commenting on my arms when they hit around the 18'' mark.
Same here, had em pushing 21" but so used to seeing em it's no big deal. Like you the comments started around 18" but now I get this :eek: alot. I don't train em as hard as I used to, I think any bigger and they'll look cartoonish. Poor me right. :D

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn, 21 inch arms, I'd have to wear floaties on my arms to get em that size :)

BigBadBootyDady

Awards
I've been blessed with a chest and triceps that grow if I look at em long enough. For all you fellas that want bigger arms fukc biceps do your close grip benches, weighted dips and skull crushers. Your tri's are 2/3 of your arms. :thumbsup:

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I agree with Omar, I can't stand the fat shits of the world that think they're king **** because they have 20inch guns of purt fat. If they actually get there bf below 20% they would dwindle down to 15inches. LOL I mean are you fucking kidding me. To answer the question 17" arms that are defined look big to most people. I say don't be as concerned about size worry more about quality. Anyone can get 20inch arms, just eat like a slob.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
hehe, i also have been told i was 'cut' like usher. whats with girls and usher? :blink:
I would say 17 is solid. But of course, all depends on if you're talking about lumberjack fat sausage arms or lean solid 17 inches +. Interesting point that girls and guys see big arms with a different definition. I would agree with this statement.
Sage

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
And BigBadBootyDaddy is totally right on about tri development-->Your tris are 2/3 of your arm, and in my experience, grow faster than Bis.

Weighted Dips all the way...and lots of cable pressdown supersets with varying grips!

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The Usher comment is b/c his sexual allure for most women is off the charts, as are his record sales...which leads me to my feeling that arm size doesn't get you laid, and if that's the only reason you lift, you have a rude awakening :)

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established

:rofl:

Even the judge would understand why you had to hit her bro :D

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
the appearence of your arms depend on many things. like i know these guys that go to my school, most of them are fat **** bouncers (another thing i never understood, why do bar managers think that fatass out of shape cuntbags make good bouncers, well thats for another day) that probably have 20 inch arms that look like ****, because you couldn't see a striation cut or peak or any hint of definition and detail. so it all depends because i know some cafeteria ladies at my school with 24 inch "guns". the tape measure usually don't mean ****.
:goodpost: we need to make a distinction between big guns and fat arms or else even Rosie O'Donnell would have big arms if we just count the inches.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Come on we all know it's not the size of the Arms but how you use them :p

BigBadBootyDady

Awards
Come on now if Usher wasn't famous do you think he'd get 1/100 of the girls he gets now? I met Dale Earnhart Jr. at a club in Florida and this 5'4" 140 pound weasel had girls all over him. Some of them didnt even know who he was just knew he was famous and that was enough.

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
usher is a damn tool.....

I have had my arms to about 18 at around 20%

I have seen guys with 21" arms and the rest of them looked like crap.

all i am saying is that if you got massive ass arms use them to build up everything else...

i am leaner now, with around 17" looking lean,
i have a 40 lb db i keep at work and i do wrist curls at work(because that is all that is feasable while i am there)
them bastards have been growing, hell there almost 15" ,THAT makes you look like a big mofo, obviously in a shirt. i have Alot of pretty big guys telling me "your huge dude" because that is all they can see.

I am like "whatever". you know what i mean i look at everyone else thinking they are bigger than me. and i am only 5'11" 215lb 14% right now.

FYI:I would never be seen doing wrist curls in a gym(another story), but i will do the hell out ofem at my work (the cave where no one can see.)

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I've had mine to touch 20", but now down to 18" (damn cutting is a bitch!). Now they look better but are smaller, and I get just as many or more comments now. I would agree that anything over 17" within a decent bf% range is considered "big".

BTW Blaze.... it's funny as hell because this girl I've been dating recently just told me how nice Usher's body is :rofl: Women are hilarious, but just roll with it because they think he's hot as hell :thumbsup:

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
mine are at 17.25 i'm around 9% bf right now my arms look pretty ripped i must say and most everyone is very impressed with their size

i think they look good but i personally would never call them "really big" maybe because i look at my arms then at big ron's lol

Awards
My arms are almost 17", but I don't know of anyone that has said that they are big. They are defined enough that you can tell it is not all fat either. I guess it's just the fact that they are not big proportionally to the rest of my body.

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Hear, hear... I have big forearms, just naturally so, about 14.75" with my 17.25" arms, and people sometimes tell me "hey you have pretty big arms, do you work out?" LMAO... Now, my arms are underdeveloped compared to the rest of me, but I wear loose clothes. Call it modesty. :D

Then there's this other guy at work with maybe 16" or 16.5" arms with a 40" waist but he's wearing very short sleeves all the time, with leather wrist bands, and the whole thang to try and "look" big. People think HE's big and don't even notice me... Sometimes people think I'm 5'8" when I'm really 5'11" because how I "seem" not big, just wide for my height? ;) Then it's so funny when I roll up my sleeve and flex a little, they all go "Damn! You're, like, lots bigger than THAT guy!" I think it's hilarious because I'm always thinking about how smallish my arms really are...

So? Looking big and BEING big are two different stories. I prefer the latter. :D

Now, how much are Coleman's arms again? I wonder if HE could find a way to dress so as to simply look short? Very short. ;)

darius

Like those skinny depressed male underwear model type guys. They have 5% body fat (probably 5% muscle too lol), but if you ask a girl, they will say he has a nice body or is strong.

Basically girls look at leaness over muscle size (most girls).

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Got my arms a tad over 18.5" or so right now. However, I'm mid-cycle with some M1,4add and have retained a bunch of water. They'll go down around 17.5" after I dump the water and some b/f. My goal is to get solid 20's. However, I still need to get my "get away sticks" caught up so I look a bit more proportional. :D

People at work are beginning to talk some crap because of my appearance right now. Steroid comments are beginning to come out, and I got called Arnold the other day when I walked in for an association meeting (although I liked that comment :cool: ). Hell, even my wife is questioning me about what I'm using.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established

Hey JB. Don't know...looks like an Usher in the making. :run:

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
the thing with usher is he's a singer. look at steve perry (ok, so i'm dating myself). women loved him. but he was kinda ugly. women love singers. because they are sexy. usher is actualy a good looking guy AND he signs. so, of course women are going to like him. for what it's worth, i definitely get more attention from women in general, since I "buffed up". however, i think there is a point where you get big enough that less women will find you attractive. freakish size (and for most women, freakish is a lot smaller than what we consider freakish) is a turn off. it even goes back to evolutionary cues. women are programmed to like a certain shoulder/waist ratio, just as men like a certain waist/hip ratio in women. far more women are going to find a men's fitness cover model attractive vs. a big bodybuilder. and ESPECIALLY the bloated guy is out. a guy like darrem charles is going to be way more attractive to women than markus ruhl or ronnie

darius

What do you mean "depressed?"
Haha
Sorry, meant it as they have that depressed look to them (they probably arn't). The reason I said it was cause I was with a girl friend and she was looking at some magazine at her house and there was a Calvin Klein ad, and the dude was stick and bones literally and looked like he was depressed and on drugs and she said she thinks he's cute, and I looked and I was like no way and she said "hes really strong" lol.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Like those skinny depressed male underwear model type guys. They have 5% body fat (probably 5% muscle too lol), but if you ask a girl, they will say he has a nice body or is strong.

Basically girls look at leaness over muscle size (most girls).
lack of body fat, not muscle = strength (in the eyes of girls)

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
look at steve perry (ok, so i'm dating myself). women loved him. but he was kinda ugly. women love singers. because they are sexy.
LOL...I'm right there with you jjjd. Guess I'm dating myself as well. Speaking of Perry. I work in the town where he went to high school. He showed up not too long ago for his class reunion, but refused to get out of his limo to join his classmates inside.

Women do like the guy who has low b/f and is cut, over mass. Hell, they think Justin Timerlake is "buff"... :rolleyes:

I'm married, so I don't care. Me wants the mass!!

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
Calvin Klein used a heroin-addict look once in their ad campaign. Maybe that's what you what you saw...
... but I get your point. In fact (male) models are often too big and told to lay off the weights.

darius

One of the guys that I introduced to bodybuilding told me one day that he wanted to look like Brad Pitt's physique from Fight Club. I agreed with him at the time that it was a good goal, but I didn't remember what Pitt looked like in the movie. Later on I googled it and was shocked lol. Low bf% (ok, so he was really cut), but no mass. I hit my friend upside the head.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
The Men's Health covers - powerlifters
NOT

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
pitt had low bodyfat, excellent seperation, good symmetry, great abs, etc. he did not look anything like we, in this board, would consider "buff" but his physique was still impressive in those respects.

better than 99% of fatass couch potatoes.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Usher....ROFLMAO. Just be glad they didn't say you look like Justin Timberlake :p

I just hit 18 1/8" tonight....pumped. LOL. Normally my arms are at abou 17.5" cold and I've got about 15% BF. I barely see vains in my biceps when I'm pumped and they only come out to visit occasionally cold; it's sad :(

Anyway, I personally will never see my arms as "big" i dont think. They feel like they did the day I hit 15.5" every day since.

I'd say around the time I hit 15.5 ppl asked if I worked out and how much I could *bench*, by 17" they thought I was big, so I guess that 17" mark works...