INJURY LOG: SLAP repair, prehab / surgery / rehabilitation training log

Page 6 of 7 First ... 4567 Last

1. Good to hear man. I'm still in the process of debating on whether or not I should get my shoulder fixed.

2. I'd say go for it. I feel like I'll be at 100% in no time now...and I was kinda lazy about getting back on track too, mainly due to lack of motivation post surgery. You should be able to recover much faster if you stay motivated
    Last edited by Gutterpump; 07-01-2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling
    •   

3. Hey guys, so now that my left shoulder is fine, and I've been training fine for a while, it looks like my right shoulder has now got problems.

One of the things people have been telling me, is that these problems typically come in pairs.

So I have likely got impingement coupled with AC issues. Getting an MRI soon. I'm still training, just not going overheard, and keeping certain movements out.

This really blows though. Been packing the size back on, haven't even been powerlifting again, just keeping reps high and weight down. Definitely didn't expect this at all...

4. Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    Hey guys, so now that my left shoulder is fine, and I've been training fine for a while, it looks like my right shoulder has now got problems.

One of the things people have been telling me, is that these problems typically come in pairs.

So I have likely got impingement coupled with AC issues. Getting an MRI soon. I'm still training, just not going overheard, and keeping certain movements out.

This really blows though. Been packing the size back on, haven't even been powerlifting again, just keeping reps high and weight down. Definitely didn't expect this at all...
    That's been another one of my worries. My so-called good shoulder sometimes has more pain than the bad one. I feel your pain. I have to wait until at least March before I can undergo the scope.

5. don't know how I missed this! I had a slap tear repair with four anchors at the end of July. I heard all the horror stories of 6 months before being able to lift and was pretty scared of that. But my PT was going so well within two months I had full ROM in the injured shoulder and have already begun strength building exercises. I'm not doing anything crazy as I don't want to push it too much, but if anyone reading this is worried, there is hope at a decently quick recovery. Granted I'm not near the level I was before yet, but I'm able to do all normal daily activities and am well on my way to putting up some real weight again.

6. I ended up tearing my rotator cuff in the same shoulder soon after going back to lifting. My Labrum looked great in the MRI though. I'll be back under the knife before the end of the year. Yay for me...

7. Quote Originally Posted by houstontexas View Post
    I ended up tearing my rotator cuff in the same shoulder soon after going back to lifting. My Labrum looked great in the MRI though. I'll be back under the knife before the end of the year. Yay for me...

Oh man sorry to hear. I might be joining you. My shoulder feels real nasty/crunchy just moving my arm overhead, with a very strong 'plucking' feeling as well, like a cord being plucked or muscle getting caught on a bone.. Can't be good. MRI hopefully this week, waiting on insurance approval.

8. The way I see it now, is that at least I know how to maintain healthy joints / mobility from here on out, especially in the shoulders. I may need surgery again, but you can be sure I'll stay on top of mobility and joint health. It's all about keeping up preventative work with special stretches, bands, etc. I've gone through the PT process for so long, I likely won't even need a physical therapist this time around.

9. Hey guys, so I just got my results back today from my MRI and saw my Dr.

Turns out I have another SLAP tear in what I thought was my good shoulder. There are two tears, one in the superior labrum and one in the anterior, but very small. My biceps tendon is fine, but there is a subchondral cyst. Dr. does not want to do surgery at this point since he said I am tolerating the small tears really well. I have no pain in those areas, just the AC joint.

So the issues with my AC joint:
    a small joint effusion with pericapsular edema along the superior joint line.
    Small amount of fluid in the subacromion Subdeltoid bursa consistent with mild bursitis
    Basically, mild arthritis in the joint he says, as well as mild bursitis

Any thoughts or comments about this?

I've started on 10mg of TB500 weekly, about two weeks ago. I'm still training as well, but I'm not doing anything overhead and NO more flies. They were the worst offender. I'm doing PT on both shoulders, broom stretch and band work. Also using bands for chest work right now (I have the strongest band you can find, as well as the level down). No pain when working shoulders and chest with the bands...so I will keep this up with the TB500 for a while. I'm able to do all my back work at the gym fine. No pain.

Kinda bummed to find out I have AC joint degeneration and another SLAP tear(s)...but more concerned with my AC joint atm. Likely won't need to worry about repairing the SLAP tears for a while since they are very minor and causing me no pain at all.

10. Also, as a side note to the above...regarding training my shoulders ONLY with bands:

I can't understand how my shoulders are both the most pronounced area of my body, considering I am only doing band exercises and not doing ANY db or barbell shoulder presses/work. I don't do any overhead work, and both of my shoulders are pretty big, vascular, spider veins popping out all over on them.

Is this genetics? Since my last surgery, I have not done any DB or BB OH presses at all. I know some people who struggle to get big delts. I'll be happy keeping up my band work if I can keep shoulder gains up / balanced with everything else.
    •   

11. I had an MRI done on my shoulder with similar bad sounding filndings from the Radiologist.
    The Ortho I went to though looked at it and said it was all just inflammation and that radiologists tend towards finding stuff that might not be there, it's their jobs after all.

I'm planning on running some TB-500, I have about 10 weeks worth wasting away in my freezer until a recent dizzy spell thing I have going on disapears.

12. Yeah man TB500 seems to work great. I saw the film from the radiologist and reviewed it with my Dr. I have two definite small tears in the labrum now. One anterior and one posterior. Absolutely no pain in the bicep tendon, front or side delts, so I am tolerating the tears fine at the moment.

My AC joint is still being a bitch though!! It's the original reason I went for the new MRI. The broom stretch and PT work (rotator cuff work and band work) is definitely helping though.

I am currently running the TB500 and CJC-1295 w/Dac + ipamorelin, and on I go with my training. Not going to stop or get surgery anytime soon. Going to do what I can to keep surgery away. I'm also looking at rejoining my powerlifting gym soon. As soon as I feel comfortable with that AC joint issue/bursitis I've been having.

PS: for anyone reading this thread late, or skipping over the beginning - I have had surgery on my left shoulder for a SLAP tear and bicep tendon tear. Everything went well and I started training for about a year until I had issues in my other (right) shoulder. I DO recommend surgery for people who can't work around it. In my case, I could NOT work around the pain/issues with my left shoulder. The SLAP tear was minor in that one as well, but the bicep tendon tear was too much to deal with. It caused pain all over and muscle weakness in the whole area. I simply had to get it done. Always consult with multiple Dr's and try PT first however. Surgery will set your training back 2 years

13. How soon into running TB-500 did you notice results?

14. 1-2 weeks

15. Sub'd to learn from an old friend. Will initiate my own log once I recover from this brutal case of bronchitis/sinusitis, and get back to the gym, where I largely confine myself to the purple, pink, and neon green DBs these days.
    "The Iron never lies to you."~Henry Rollins
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate

16. Quote Originally Posted by jinxie View Post
    Sub'd to learn from an old friend. Will initiate my own log once I recover from this brutal case of bronchitis/sinusitis, and get back to the gym, where I largely confine myself to the purple, pink, and neon green DBs these days.

Hey Jinxie!! Well this log is pretty much finished now. I went through PT and recovered from the surgery. Been back at it fairly hard again. Had some issues with my AC joint in the opposite shoulder but it's all better now. I still have an unrepaired SLAP tear in the opposite shoulder though but it's not causing any issues for now.

17. Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    Hey Jinxie!! Well this log is pretty much finished now. I went through PT and recovered from the surgery. Been back at it fairly hard again. Had some issues with my AC joint in the opposite shoulder but it's all better now. I still have an unrepaired SLAP tear in the opposite shoulder though but it's not causing any issues for now.
    Sorry I wasn't around to help support you through that, bro. But yeah, I'm back too, after 6 surgeries last year alone! I'll be lifting for reps into perpetuity. New goals including looking like I can lift twice as much as I can, lol.

C'mon over to the training forum and logger up, bud.
    "The Iron never lies to you."~Henry Rollins
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate

18. Just started TB-500, I'm on my second week. No effects yet but I will update the group.

19. Quote Originally Posted by rambo679 View Post
    Just started TB-500, I'm on my second week. No effects yet but I will update the group.
    What are your current issues you're experiencing, pain/injury wise? I can let you know what to expect from it. Basically, it really helped me post-op, and it was amazing as an anti-inflammatory. Also reduced the amount of trigger points/adhesions I was experiencing

20. Ive had nagging shoulder pain over the last year, no tears just but just recurring bouts of inflamamation. It gets better but never completely feels comfortable.

But my bigger issue has been my elbow. I've had really bad golfers elbow for the last few months. I even got a cortisone shot that didn't do jack.

I'm hoping to effect some healing in both of those. And grow hair too, why not?

My only fear is that I didn't store it right when I first got it. I had it in a drawer for a few weeks, then the fridge for a few, then in the freezer for awhile where it now resides. Researching I've heard that each one is the correct way.

I'm on my third dose of 2mgs and have not felt an effect.

21. I think I'm about to start dosing 5mg 1x per week for the next 4 weeks then probably 5mg 1x per 2 weeks or 1x per month.

22. Quote Originally Posted by rambo679 View Post
    Ive had nagging shoulder pain over the last year, no tears just but just recurring bouts of inflamamation. It gets better but never completely feels comfortable.

But my bigger issue has been my elbow. I've had really bad golfers elbow for the last few months. I even got a cortisone shot that didn't do jack.

I'm hoping to effect some healing in both of those. And grow hair too, why not?

My only fear is that I didn't store it right when I first got it. I had it in a drawer for a few weeks, then the fridge for a few, then in the freezer for awhile where it now resides. Researching I've heard that each one is the correct way.

I'm on my third dose of 2mgs and have not felt an effect.
    Storage could be an issue, but personally I think 5mg per week is needed. That's what I've been reading all over. 2mg is underdosed

You had the unmixed powder in the freezer? Or was it premixed and preloaded in syringes before freezing? The powder will store absolutely fine in a cool dark place such as a sock drawer.

23. Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    Storage could be an issue, but personally I think 5mg per week is needed. That's what I've been reading all over. 2mg is underdosed You had the unmixed powder in the freezer? Or was it premixed and preloaded in syringes before freezing? The powder will store absolutely fine in a cool dark place such as a sock drawer.
    It was all unmixed powder I was/am storing.
    I'm actually taking 4mg a week in 2 separate 2mg doses. I wanted to do 5mg but it all came in 2mg vials so I figured 4 wad close enough .

Considering how relatively affordable this stuff is I'm planning on bumping it to 6mg a week spread over three 2mg doses.

24. look into Adequan and Ichon

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    Yeah man TB500 seems to work great. I saw the film from the radiologist and reviewed it with my Dr. I have two definite small tears in the labrum now. One anterior and one posterior. Absolutely no pain in the bicep tendon, front or side delts, so I am tolerating the tears fine at the moment.

My AC joint is still being a bitch though!! It's the original reason I went for the new MRI. The broom stretch and PT work (rotator cuff work and band work) is definitely helping though.

I am currently running the TB500 and CJC-1295 w/Dac + ipamorelin, and on I go with my training. Not going to stop or get surgery anytime soon. Going to do what I can to keep surgery away. I'm also looking at rejoining my powerlifting gym soon. As soon as I feel comfortable with that AC joint issue/bursitis I've been having.

PS: for anyone reading this thread late, or skipping over the beginning - I have had surgery on my left shoulder for a SLAP tear and bicep tendon tear. Everything went well and I started training for about a year until I had issues in my other (right) shoulder. I DO recommend surgery for people who can't work around it. In my case, I could NOT work around the pain/issues with my left shoulder. The SLAP tear was minor in that one as well, but the bicep tendon tear was too much to deal with. It caused pain all over and muscle weakness in the whole area. I simply had to get it done. Always consult with multiple Dr's and try PT first however. Surgery will set your training back 2 years

25. Quote Originally Posted by sina View Post
    look into Adequan and Ichon
    One of my old dogs was getting Adequan for her joints in her old age. Is this safe for humans?
    I'm thinking of starting GH through my clinic actually.

26. My TB-500 run for my elbow was ultimately unsuccessful. I uppded the dose to 6mg a week but felt no effect.
    I capitulated and got a cortisone shot, worked for a week and then pain came back.

Thinking of running Ipamorelin, if anyone has any experience with it I'd be happy to hear them.

The end.

27. Seems to be just prolonging the inevitable. I now have four anchors in my shoulder (labrum tear) but am working out and living life with no pain and no restrictions. I'm very pleased that I went ahead and took care of it ASAP.

28. Quote Originally Posted by rambo679 View Post
    My TB-500 run for my elbow was ultimately unsuccessful. I uppded the dose to 6mg a week but felt no effect.
    I capitulated and got a cortisone shot, worked for a week and then pain came back.

Thinking of running Ipamorelin, if anyone has any experience with it I'd be happy to hear them.

The end.

TB-500 does nothing for joints. It encourages repair of soft tissues via angiogensis, and can also work as an anti-inflammatory, but it will not actually help heal joints. It will however work wonders during a PT protocol post-surgery as there is much muscle trauma and inflammation. It will reduce inflammation and can help remove adhesions within the muscle.

29. Quote Originally Posted by nicksox15 View Post
    Seems to be just prolonging the inevitable. I now have four anchors in my shoulder (labrum tear) but am working out and living life with no pain and no restrictions. I'm very pleased that I went ahead and took care of it ASAP.

Likewise. My operated shoulder is now amazing. No problems. I do have a very small SLAP tear in the other shoulder now though, but PT and rehab have helped incredibly to prolong the need for surgery. I hardly notice any issues in the un-operated side now, and am tolerating it very well. It helps to work around the issue in the gym as well. Time to be very smart about training when these things happen, not that I shouldn't have been smart about it before.

30. Nice thread. Currently using TB500 and MK2866.. The former helped tremendously but serioulsy feel is being underdosed even up to 6mg. i heard at this low dosage there is no real repair...now looking into ipamorelin. any updates?
    btw, i had slap tear three years ago and still painful.. my other shoulder has AC joint arthritis and is more painful than slap tear..imagine that...

Similar Forum Threads

1. SLAP tear - surgery/no-surgery/recovery options?
    By Gutterpump in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 03-21-2012, 08:14 PM
  2. Surgery SLAP Tear
    By firefighter2032 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 03:25 PM
  3. HGH for injury repair
    By damadhatter in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 08:12 PM
  4. Steroids May Improve Tendon Repair After Surgery