INJURY LOG: SLAP repair, prehab / surgery / rehabilitation training log

Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Cary K View Post
    Agreed, could be tendonitis. My shoulders hurt like crazy when I started working out after both surgeries. I don't really think you have a torn bicep, you could see the skin raised around where the bicep is. Plus it would hurt/burn like a MF. Keep us updated as to what your Ortho says.
    A torn bicep muscle will cause the balled up muscle, but a slightly torn or damaged bicep tendon won't show on the outside. My bicep tendon was torn by 50% when I had my surgery done - but I had no idea till they got inside. The crazy thing was, the MRI didn't even pick that up. They discovered it when they went to fix my SLAP tear.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    A torn bicep muscle will cause the balled up muscle, but a slightly torn or damaged bicep tendon won't show on the outside. My bicep tendon was torn by 50% when I had my surgery done - but I had no idea till they got inside. The crazy thing was, the MRI didn't even pick that up. They discovered it when they went to fix my SLAP tear.
    Wow, you'd think that an MRI would show it
    After a year off, I'm back
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Ya my MRI didn't show that I had a slap tear at all, but it sure was there when they got inside and looked around.

Just got back and the doc thinks it's just really inflamed and swollen in the area and that is causing some nerve aggravation etc. I was given Prednisone for 5 days and he wants to see me in 2wks. He even said I can still work out, but just take it easy (that's the hard part).
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

I hear ya. I totally shouldn't have gone on the flat bench when I first got back to working upper body. I need to stick to hammer strength equipment, dumbbells and cables for now. I'm starting to think about kettle bells now too.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Answers

I like the feel of the machines since my stability is what scares me. I did do a light set of barbell bench once and felt it was too much for me to handle and re-racked it. I can't wait until I can do a real deadlift with some significant weight without being scared my shoulder is going to fall off holding all of that weight. I'll just have to wait on those.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.
    Answers

I was scared as hell too when I got back in the gym. I mostly do my bench and incline on a smith machine just incase something happens, I can re-rack quickly. But I did get 200 up on flat bench last week, unassisted. That really pumped me up.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Cary K View Post
    I was scared as hell too when I got back in the gym. I mostly do my bench and incline on a smith machine just incase something happens, I can re-rack quickly. But I did get 200 up on flat bench last week, unassisted. That really pumped me up.

How many months post-op are you?

I've just re-added push-ups on a large stability ball which should hopefully help. I place it against the wall so that it doesn't move forward, but it's still pretty tough to remain stable on it. My PT recommended this one to me.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.
    Answers

How many months post-op are you?

I've just re-added push-ups on a large stability ball which should hopefully help. I place it against the wall so that it doesn't move forward, but it's still pretty tough to remain stable on it. My PT recommended this one to me.
    I'm years post-op but it took me a while to get the courage to get back in the gym
    Right shoulder in 2005, left shoulder in 2009
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

My deadlift was almost 500 pounds when this happened. I hope I can get back to that early next year. Pretty sure I will scrap 5/3/1 for a while and focus on the Starting Strength program for a couple months, once I'm feeling better. Quickest way to shoot up in strength. Definitely won't be doing the program this year though.

I'm extremely troubled/bothered by my chest strength on the bad side right now though. I love benching, but this lift trailed behind the others and I've always had trouble with chest when it came to growth as well. It's going to be a challenge.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.
    Answers

My deadlift was almost 500 pounds when this happened. I hope I can get back to that early next year. Pretty sure I will scrap 5/3/1 for a while and focus on the Starting Strength program for a couple months, once I'm feeling better. Quickest way to shoot up in strength. Definitely won't be doing the program this year though.

I'm extremely troubled/bothered by my chest strength on the bad side right now though. I love benching, but this lift trailed behind the others and I've always had trouble with chest when it came to growth as well. It's going to be a challenge.
    Same with me, I've never been any good at bench but I'm slowly increasing. The smith machine seems to be helping me out alot
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

How is your form on bench? Are you tucking your elbows towards your sides, or flaring them out towards the bar? If you tuck them in closer to your body, you will use more lat strength and boost your bench. Also, practice driving through your feet, with a strong arch in your back.

I wanna smack people when I see them place their feet on the bench. Not only is this idiotic and extremely bad form, but it removes your stability and any power that you gain from grounding yourself. I have no idea why people do this, except they may have seen other noobs do it.

The hardest part of the bench for me, was to keep my shoulders back and pinched throughout the movement. My delts almost always came into play at the top. Increasing upper back strength will solve this, as well as shoulder mobility work. I also found it easier to bench more, with a wider grip, since I'm so tall...but this can be harder on your shoulders.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.
    Answers

How is your form on bench? Are you tucking your elbows towards your sides, or flaring them out towards the bar? If you tuck them in closer to your body, you will use more lat strength and boost your bench. Also, practice driving through your feet, with a strong arch in your back.

I wanna smack people when I see them place their feet on the bench. Not only is this idiotic and extremely bad form, but it removes your stability and any power that you gain from grounding yourself. I have no idea why people do this, except they may have seen other noobs do it.

The hardest part of the bench for me, was to keep my shoulders back and pinched throughout the movement. My delts almost always came into play at the top. Increasing upper back strength will solve this, as well as shoulder mobility work. I also found it easier to bench more, with a wider grip, since I'm so tall...but this can be harder on your shoulders.
    I try and keep my elbows tucked. I keep my feet on the floor and like you I can't stand to see a person with their feet on the bench.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Ah cool, so you know what you're doing. I typically used to follow 5/3/1 w/periodization bible assistance, and had good results strength and size wise this way, even with bench/chest - but I definitely am weakest at the top of my bench. I need to start doing floor presses when I'm back in the game.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Hey guys, I need some help in here.

The largest problem I've encountered is loss of drive/motivation from being handicapped in the gym for so long. I haven't been doing my PT or training for almost a month now.

This is the first time I've ever run into a motivational issue this bad in the gym, it's really upsetting. I've thought about a small cycle to boost up my spirits and drive, to get back into the swing of things faster, but that isn't smart at all - too dangerous right now.

I could use any tips at all here folks!! A good portion of my life was dedicated to training and revolved around it... but that's since changed since the surgery and I'm finding it tough to get back into the groove again!
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Cary K, houstontexas, either of you two have any encouraging words/tips?

I think it's mainly out of fear. The last time I trained, I felt real bad after on the operated side. My whole pec seized up...but the only issue was in the pec, not my shoulder or bicep at all!! So frustrating. I really want to train again...

I guess I really just have to put in a 200% effort to motivate myself through this phase now. Maybe I will start a new training log /diet etc to force myself.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Dude I'm in the same boat as you. I get really motivated to hit the gym and then after one great workout I'm sore on my operating side for a week. I could take it super easy I guess, but then what's the point of going. I only have a few available days to train and I don't want to BS or I may as well be at home with my family.

On top of the shoulder strength, stability, etc I've been having knee pain for like 3wks now. I haven't been back to the doc b/c I'm super busy with life and hoping it will go away. Needless to say I haven't trained legs since and it's my favorite workout.

I am having a hard time staying motivated as well. I'm keeping my diet on point for the most part, but my training is just so lacking and it makes me sad for real. Friggin bodybuilding depression lol. I keep having to put off my cycle I wanna run b/c I don't want to push it too early. It's really a huge deal to me as well and sometimes I wonder if I even did the right thing by going to have surgery. Hopefully when I'm a year, 2yrs, or farther out I will feel it was a great choice. The slowness of the recovery though is killing me.

I guess the main thing that keeps me somewhat motivated is the mirror. I don't want to turn into a fatty again so I try to keep my diet in check and get in the gym when I'm feeling good. I'm pretty sure my depressing post isn't going to help, but hey you called on me. Hang in there man I think it will get better for us as time goes on. I have to hope it does or I will go crazy haha.

--
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

My diet is waaaaay out of whack now, but I'm keeping protein up - just not high enough I don't think. It can be a lot cleaner. Too many bars/shakes atm.

I'm trying to figure out a good way for me to get cardio in without running...do you think it's fine to do barbell complexes with 10 pounds added per side? I'd much rather do cardio this way. I think I'll give it a shot tomorrow night. 10/10/10 deadlifts/OH press/squat or something like that, for multiple rounds, very short break between rounds.

I definitely know it will get better, as long as we keep it consistent and keep pushing forward. I should be doing some PT daily from home to be honest. It's just tough to stay motivated when doing such little weight and seemingly simple things. I also wish I could work on physique now too, and that's a big downer atm, but at least I could be getting lean while working on strengthening.

I hope that knee turns out to be nothing. A girl I know who had a SLAP repair done ended up with leg issues from squatting too often while going through the same phase as us...so maybe it's that?
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Ya I was incorporating huge leg days since my upper body days were less than stellar. Sometimes I broke it down into 2x a week as well. For a while there I was doing cardio a few times a week as well, but once the pain started catching up I stopped it all.

I'm just going to keep working with my diet and go get some massage soon. I may make an appointment with an ART or MAT clinic to check on muscle imbalances and get some release work done. I've never been to either before, but I've heard good things.

I really should have been doing PT work all along as well, but I've been BS'ing on that for months. It just seems so useless and stupid when I'm doing it b/c it's easy. I know I should do it, but I just don't.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

I have one good update though...the huge deep knots that I've been having problems with have all seemed to disappear. I do have occasional stiffness now though from the way I sleep. Maybe the knots are gone because I've stopped my PT/training though lol, we'll see. Starting back up today.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Answers

What's up fellas, I am new here but post a lot on other forums, couldn't help but read this, I to have been injured this year ruptured left bicep tendon, had left shoulder impingement, had all this done Feb1st of this year. Then If that's not enough I broke my left foot recently

So I understand completely, I am so weak on the left side it hurts constantly, and I wonder if I will Ever be the same... It's hard to get down there when all I do is "go through the motions" but we have to keep pushing and grinding trough this and it will get better.

My instinct was to win, eliminate anyone who is in competion. Destroy my enemy, and move on without any kind of hesataion at all.
    ~Arnold~
    Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  247 lbs.
    Answers

How is your recovery coming along? Read through you log and it was very interesting. Just hoping you can shed some light on what things you could have or would change to help with faster recovery. I have surgery on December 27. The doctor says no Supplements will help and will not give me one of those shoulder things to ice so I will buy my own and ice the heck out of it. I do believe supplements will help, at least for the psycological aspect if not the physical aspect. Thanks for the help. I am in the same boat you are, I just want to be able to lift heavy again..lol
  22. Registered User
    Answers

Just found this log. Only read through the first page, but I'm stoked to follow along. I have been contimplating shoulder surgery for years. I tore my infraspinatus (2 tears in the muscle - no tearing of bone) between my jr/sr yr of high school, no surgery required, but due to inflmation all around and a pre-existing condition (my AC didn't fuse right and I have a hook that hangs over the joint that causes constant rubbing/irritation) I developed impingement syndrome creating more problems. I had more tearing and bone spurs being created. I played baseball through college and would have good and bad days. Had an MRI and decided against surgery b/c I couldn't stand to sit out. Thorugh the years my shoulder has gotten worse. I've developed a partial SLAP tear, developed severe arthritis (dr.'s words), have a cyst growing in there, fraying of the biceps tendon, more bone spurs, and a large edema on both the ball and socket portion of the joint (including the infraspinatus tears getting larger). I've since had 2 more MRI's each worse in diagnosis. Last one I had the Dr. wanted to schedule surgery, I said no. The Doc said, and i quote, "You'll be back in here in a year BEGGING me to fix it." I've never been back. I know i"ll need it, but I'm terrified to even think of being laid up.

Looking forward to following your recovery and wishing you GOOD LUCK!
    PREMIUM NUTRACEUTICALS (PNI) REP/ATHLETE
    BROSER BUILT REP/ATHLETE
    LET ME HELP YOU BY SETTING UP A DIET/TRAINING PROGRAM TO REACH YOUR GOALS! INBOX ME
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kjscatch View Post
    How is your recovery coming along? Read through you log and it was very interesting. Just hoping you can shed some light on what things you could have or would change to help with faster recovery. I have surgery on December 27. The doctor says no Supplements will help and will not give me one of those shoulder things to ice so I will buy my own and ice the heck out of it. I do believe supplements will help, at least for the psycological aspect if not the physical aspect. Thanks for the help. I am in the same boat you are, I just want to be able to lift heavy again..lol
    Whatever it was I did, I did right, because I blasted through the first few months of PT!

After only a few months, I was back to normal usage of that arm and almost full ROM. By normal usage, I mean day to day things, lifting groceries, that kinda stuff...not hardcore upper body workouts. My orthopedic surgeon was amazed at my ROM and strength at such an early stage in PT. My physical therapist was also amazed at how fast my strength was returning. He hadn't seen that before. I think I was one of his favorite clients. And to be honest, I wasn't ultra diligent with my PT. I didn't do it often enough!!! Not as often as I could have. I will attribute my initial speedy progress to the TB-500 and supplements I chose to use.

The TB-500 was great. The supplements I took also made a big difference, I feel. But I totally felt the difference when I ran out of the TB-500 at one point. I had to get more again real quick. Where I went wrong though, was hitting the gym too hard when I was feeling great in PT. It made me scared to go back. I felt GREAT in the gym and started benching on my first day back doing upper body (I kept up my lower body training for a while even when my arm was in a sling).. so ya, benching after doing a TON of volume doing rotator cuff and chest movements on the fly machine. I was stupid.

I've been taking a break the past 2 months from the gym, ever since the above incident. I mean, I was scared for a few weeks afterwards, but then I just got really busy with work and also DJing which I do on the side here in NY. Also been real sick lately, just getting better. But I feel that I am now ready to begin training once more and will create a new program for myself and post in here to continue the log.

Sorry for being away for so long guys, but it's because I wasn't training!
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Answers

I hear ya GP. Every time I get back in the gym a few days within a week and then a delayed pain/soreness comes on and I'm scared to death I hurt myself again. I really don't feel like I'm pushing it that hard, but coming from surgery and working back is a lot more demanding than it seems I guess. I've been out a few weeks and will be working my way back in soon. Been eating like a fatty since right before Thanksgiving. I mean a real fatty!! Like I've put on 20lbs in a few weeks. Being out of the gym is hard on my motivation for sure. I can't keep the focus that I usually have. Well I could, but I kind of don't even feel like it at the moment. Sad, but true. Planning on getting back in it soon though and busting out a nice cut/recomp.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

I hear ya. I cut back and cleaned up my diet recently since I was putting on the pounds in the past. I don't eat carbs at night, and still try to keep protein high. I'm on TRT, and that combined with a decent diet has kept atrophy at bay a little. I am not defined, but I still have a good aframe and decent size. I plan on starting a good recomp as well very soon....combining 5/3/1 and Crossfit to get strong and lean again.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  247 lbs.
    Answers

I will attribute my initial speedy progress to the TB-500 and supplements I chose to use.The TB-500 was great. The supplements I took also made a big difference, I feel. But I totally felt the difference when I ran out of the TB-500 at one point. I had to get more again real quick. Where I went wrong though, was hitting the gym too hard when I was feeling great in PT. It made me scared to go back. I felt GREAT in the gym and started benching on my first day back doing upper body (I kept up my lower body training for a while even when my arm was in a sling).. so ya, benching after doing a TON of volume doing rotator cuff and chest movements on the fly machine. I was stupid.
    This stuff seems pretty expensive? I have looked and read some things on it. Not enough but I will read through more articles. Couple questions.1. How much do you spend on it?2. Are you still on it?3. How/Where do you inject it?Seems like I can get 2mg for about $22. I read how to mix it properly but not where to inject it? Unless I am reading it wrong? More research to come but if you could shed some light on me with answering those questions I may be less confused! Thanks man!
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kjscatch View Post
    This stuff seems pretty expensive? I have looked and read some things on it. Not enough but I will read through more articles. Couple questions.1. How much do you spend on it?2. Are you still on it?3. How/Where do you inject it?Seems like I can get 2mg for about $22. I read how to mix it properly but not where to inject it? Unless I am reading it wrong? More research to come but if you could shed some light on me with answering those questions I may be less confused! Thanks man!
    2mg for $22 is about right. 5mg weekly seems to help more, but I hear it's only necessary to use that much for loading phase. I'm not taking it currently. You can shoot into delt w/slin pin once a week, all in one shot, mixed with 0.5-1 cc bac water. Sub-Q or IM. Hope that helps!
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  247 lbs.
    Answers

got a good, respectable place to purchase that at? I would PM you but it says that you are full of messages.
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

unfortunately on this board we can't talk about sources.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Hi all...just wanted to update that everything is great. I'm doing all my regular lifts again but am keeping upright rows and dips out of the game forever.
    Deadlifts, bench, cleans, snatchs, OH press...everything is feeling great, and I'm strong again haha! Just wanted to give people a heads up that these surgeries can be very successful. I was worried that it would forever effect my training, but things are truly feeling great.
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Good to hear man. I'm still in the process of debating on whether or not I should get my shoulder fixed.
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

I'd say go for it. I feel like I'll be at 100% in no time now...and I was kinda lazy about getting back on track too, mainly due to lack of motivation post surgery. You should be able to recover much faster if you stay motivated
    Last edited by Gutterpump; 07-01-2013 at 08:56 AM. Reason: spelling
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Hey guys, so now that my left shoulder is fine, and I've been training fine for a while, it looks like my right shoulder has now got problems.

One of the things people have been telling me, is that these problems typically come in pairs.

So I have likely got impingement coupled with AC issues. Getting an MRI soon. I'm still training, just not going overheard, and keeping certain movements out.

This really blows though. Been packing the size back on, haven't even been powerlifting again, just keeping reps high and weight down. Definitely didn't expect this at all...
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Hey guys, so now that my left shoulder is fine, and I've been training fine for a while, it looks like my right shoulder has now got problems.

One of the things people have been telling me, is that these problems typically come in pairs.

So I have likely got impingement coupled with AC issues. Getting an MRI soon. I'm still training, just not going overheard, and keeping certain movements out.

This really blows though. Been packing the size back on, haven't even been powerlifting again, just keeping reps high and weight down. Definitely didn't expect this at all...
    That's been another one of my worries. My so-called good shoulder sometimes has more pain than the bad one. I feel your pain. I have to wait until at least March before I can undergo the scope.
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Answers

don't know how I missed this! I had a slap tear repair with four anchors at the end of July. I heard all the horror stories of 6 months before being able to lift and was pretty scared of that. But my PT was going so well within two months I had full ROM in the injured shoulder and have already begun strength building exercises. I'm not doing anything crazy as I don't want to push it too much, but if anyone reading this is worried, there is hope at a decently quick recovery. Granted I'm not near the level I was before yet, but I'm able to do all normal daily activities and am well on my way to putting up some real weight again.
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Answers

I ended up tearing my rotator cuff in the same shoulder soon after going back to lifting. My Labrum looked great in the MRI though. I'll be back under the knife before the end of the year. Yay for me...
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by houstontexas View Post
    I ended up tearing my rotator cuff in the same shoulder soon after going back to lifting. My Labrum looked great in the MRI though. I'll be back under the knife before the end of the year. Yay for me...

Oh man sorry to hear. I might be joining you. My shoulder feels real nasty/crunchy just moving my arm overhead, with a very strong 'plucking' feeling as well, like a cord being plucked or muscle getting caught on a bone.. Can't be good. MRI hopefully this week, waiting on insurance approval.
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

The way I see it now, is that at least I know how to maintain healthy joints / mobility from here on out, especially in the shoulders. I may need surgery again, but you can be sure I'll stay on top of mobility and joint health. It's all about keeping up preventative work with special stretches, bands, etc. I've gone through the PT process for so long, I likely won't even need a physical therapist this time around.
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Hey guys, so I just got my results back today from my MRI and saw my Dr.

Turns out I have another SLAP tear in what I thought was my good shoulder. There are two tears, one in the superior labrum and one in the anterior, but very small. My biceps tendon is fine, but there is a subchondral cyst. Dr. does not want to do surgery at this point since he said I am tolerating the small tears really well. I have no pain in those areas, just the AC joint.

So the issues with my AC joint:
    a small joint effusion with pericapsular edema along the superior joint line.
    Small amount of fluid in the subacromion Subdeltoid bursa consistent with mild bursitis
    Basically, mild arthritis in the joint he says, as well as mild bursitis

Any thoughts or comments about this?

I've started on 10mg of TB500 weekly, about two weeks ago. I'm still training as well, but I'm not doing anything overhead and NO more flies. They were the worst offender. I'm doing PT on both shoulders, broom stretch and band work. Also using bands for chest work right now (I have the strongest band you can find, as well as the level down). No pain when working shoulders and chest with the bands...so I will keep this up with the TB500 for a while. I'm able to do all my back work at the gym fine. No pain.

Kinda bummed to find out I have AC joint degeneration and another SLAP tear(s)...but more concerned with my AC joint atm. Likely won't need to worry about repairing the SLAP tears for a while since they are very minor and causing me no pain at all.
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Also, as a side note to the above...regarding training my shoulders ONLY with bands:

I can't understand how my shoulders are both the most pronounced area of my body, considering I am only doing band exercises and not doing ANY db or barbell shoulder presses/work. I don't do any overhead work, and both of my shoulders are pretty big, vascular, spider veins popping out all over on them.

Is this genetics? Since my last surgery, I have not done any DB or BB OH presses at all. I know some people who struggle to get big delts. I'll be happy keeping up my band work if I can keep shoulder gains up / balanced with everything else.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. SLAP tear - surgery/no-surgery/recovery options?
    By Gutterpump in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 03-21-2012, 06:14 PM
  2. Surgery SLAP Tear
    By firefighter2032 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 01:25 PM
  3. HGH for injury repair
    By damadhatter in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 06:12 PM
  4. Steroids May Improve Tendon Repair After Surgery