You come in peace, but you go back in pieces

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Thanks! Hopefully this well help lots of peeps out there with similar injuries / surgeries.

Week 11 Post Op

I haven't updated in a lil while, been busy at work and play. Summertime in the city means out and about with the ladies! It feels so nice to be single and dating in NYC. I'm usually tied up with a longterm girlfriend, but I've decided not to get serious for a while, so I can focus on my own stuff. I've started DJing again on the side but am also trying to get my own side-business up and running. I'm a designer (mainly motion graphics, but I do it all). I'm trying to learn iPhone app dev and am studying how to manipulate web traffic. I have some new/big links in both industries (app dev and web feeds). I'd love to one day work 2-3 days per week and be rich - so focusing on business is the only way. Lots of work in the beginning but should pay off over time. I'm actually planning a trip to LA this summer as well, and will be staying at a friend's in the hills, working on music, DJing a gig and enjoying the scenery. Can't wait for that trip. Hoping to get some snowboarding in as well if the glacier is open.

So here's the latest PT log:

I've stopped the TB-500 2 weeks ago because I ran out, and general pain came back pretty quickly. I've ordered more and it arrived, so I will be starting it again today. 5mg for a few weeks then back to 2mg weekly. The main pain I'm getting is joint pain in the shoulder, and adhesions around my upper trap, scapular area, and generally all around my shoulder blade - lots of adhesions and small knots.

I found out that my upper peck needed releasing, the therapist did some trigger point therapy on the upper peck which helped release the crazy knot in my upper / outer trap. Was crazy painful while he was working that area, but I feel much better. I've also been going for deep tissue massages, and asking the ladies to help too. Of course, still using the lacrosse ball and rolling against the wall or floor.

Here is my latest strength training log during my last PT session:

(everything is done bilaterally)

Started with band pull aparts: very high reps with blue band
    Then: band pull aparts in bridge position on large yoga ball, 2 min nonstop

bicep curls 8 pound dumbbells x 25 reps x 2 sets
    Overhead Tricep extensions 8x20x2

external rotation (cable machine): 5x12x2
    scaption: 5x15x2

Rows (cable machine) really focusing on the scapular area, inner back muscles : 22,5x15x2
    Shrugs: 8x20x2

D2 with body bar (with oscillating movement) for 1min nonstop
    Lateral body bar (with oscillating movement) for 1min nonstop

Bodywork after this (release of upper peck and work on the adhesions in upper trap)
    Ice for 15min, then more ice at home and food
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

Week 12 + 13

Nothing huge to report back. I started using TB-500 again and had almost immediate relief of any pain I was having, within a few days of first 5mg dose again. I'm 100% sold on this naturally occurring peptide, where it comes to injury repair.

Strength training remains the same as before, but now we're using cables and bands for the D1/D2 movements. We are continuing the dumbbell exercises, adding in some more Yoga as well.

I had some major tightening in the outer-lower pec, really deep adhesions/knoting. I had to get the PT to work hard doing A.R.T to the area, with lots of icing later on that day. This has helped a lot. I didn't realize for a while that I had issues in my pec, but this was causing imbalance in my shoulder and muscle pain in the rear delt/rhomboids. Things are MUCH better now!
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.72%

Hey i dont mean to just bump onto thread like this but im just curious. Hope you dont mind. I injured my knee at football camp. I just had my MRI and the doc said I ruptured my acl,tore my meniscus pretty bad, an have tears in my mcl and lcl. I know I won't be able to play football this year. But I was wondering if anyone knows if I'll even be the same after surgery? I've already had meniscus tear surgery in the same knee before. But I have no info or experience with the other injuries.
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

I'm not familiar with your injuries or the surgery required to repair them, sorry. Maybe someone else will chime in but you could also look for injury specific forums on the web. There's a few good ones out there. www.slaptear.com is where I got a lot of info from personally.

Log entry:
    It's been almost 4 months post op now. Exercises include 10 pound dumbbell for bi/tris, 20 rep sets. Red rubber cable (strongest cable) for rotator cuff exercises. We just started using the cable machine as well for all rotator cuff movements. I can't remember the weight, but I'm feeling much better now as the weight is going up. I am also doing pushups with a medium sized yoga ball now, against the wall. I should've been doing these ages ago...the stability required hits a lot of supporting muscles around my problem areas.

I think I may join hot yoga soon (Bikram) and keep up my lower body workouts for another month or so, then start to hit the gym doing fullbody workouts again near the end of August. Once I am back and feeling great, I want to start training westside (conjugate method) and really focus on mobility work as well. I hope to rejoin my powerlifting gym by October (a total of 6 months post op).

I'm in a toss-up between Westside or DC training. I want to rebuild some size so I may go DC, which should also help stength-wise too. Both programs are pretty great, and I love the variation in Westside, so we'll see. Lots of time to plan.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.76%

I went for my 16wk checkup on the 19th and have been approved to do any exercises I want as long as the weight I use allows me to get 15+ reps. I have been hitting various shoulder exercises, some regular pushups, cable rows, curls, & lat pulldowns. I'm hitting the cardio again and working my lower body as well. I'm pretty much doing an upper day and lower day b/c I don't have time for more lifting plus I'm sore for days after my first workouts. It feels awesome to be getting close to normal again!! Doc said he will fully release me on my next visit (20wk post op) as long as everything is still going smoothly. I'm glad everything is going well man and I'm sure you will be killing whatever program you choose very soon.

Oh one thing that is still annoying is I have a good amount of popping if I do a circle with my arm or move it over my head in a certain way. Doc said it could take up to 6 more months or so for that to go away completely. It doesn't hurt at all, but I still don't like it. Are you having any popping still?
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

Thanks man, glad to hear your progress as well. Seems like things are moving well for you. I think I'm being a bit conservative with my estimates to get back to normal training. I'm just worried about the scapular region / infra+superspinatus (which are real tight right now), and trap on repaired side. That's where I have knotting/tightness. The TB500 helps, along with heat/rolling (foam roller + lacrosse ball) and ice.

I haven't had popping for about a month or more now. Must be scar tissue I think. Could take a while to clear out.

Have you ever trained DC before?
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.76%

Ya I was thinking you sounded a little conservative, but I figured you were just going by what the doc was recommending. I made a poor attempt at DC training for like a week or less lol. I don't have much input based upon that short run. I'm going to be doing more this high volume stuff the next month or so and then move down to something like 8-12 reps avg. I still need to find a routine that I want to stick with once I get to that point. I just don't want to go back to trying to push too much weight too fast b/c that is how I got myself into this situation before and that was doing 5x5 etc and constantly moving up the weight. Once I feel like I'm really good to go and have been in the gym for a while again I will probably switch it up to include lower reps as well. I know that my plan is based more on fear probably than necessity, but I don't give a **** lol.
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

That's a good plan, I should really do the same, at least for the remainder of the year. Maybe an HST-type routine with high volume. How's the atrophy been for you, and has size come back during PT?

I'm on vacation for a week pretty soon. I think I'll do some planning in that time.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.76%

I look a bit smaller or less toned I guess muscle wise. I also gained a good bit of fat during my "I can't do anything, I'm depressed, I'm going to eat what I want" phase so that doesn't help as far as seeing how much my muscle has changed in the mirror. I'm definitely weak in the gym upon my 1st and 2nd actual workout, but that is to be expected b/c of how restricted we are post surgery and everything our shoulders went through to make the surgery a success. Overall I don't think it the atrophy was nearly as bad as I was expecting from some other posts I had read. You seem to pay a lot more attention to everything that is going on with your recovery than me so how was your atrophy?

I honestly bs'd my way through the 2nd month of PT and barely did it. I started going back to school after work everyday and also went on a vacation during that time and I somehow justified not doing much PT. It was stupid, but my doc didn't seem to think it was a huge deal when I was expecting him to tell me I was a horrible patient. He seemed happy with my strength and ROM etc and said my fitness level before surgery and my age really helped my situation. I just think about how crappy recovery must be when having the same surgery or worse as a 65yr old in poor shape.
  11. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

Yeah, it's not fun for anyone who wasn't athletic/fit beforehand. People like us return to normal life much faster... but I can't wait to tear it up in the gym again lol

My atrophy wasn't horrible, not as bad as some photos I've seen. Overall I've softened up though, and I'm not happy about that. I've also been eating whatever I want, way too many carbs, so I've gained a bunch of fat and look softer. I need to do a strict low-carb diet for a while to lose the water weight and strip off some fat. I think I'm going to start doing fasted morning sprints at the park across from me, while in ketosis. I swore I was going to stick to a strict Paleo diet throughout this whole ordeal, but that was super tough. Like you, I got depressed about not being active, and so I sat around playing video games, listening to music and eating lol. Time for a recomp real soon. Btw, how old are you again?
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.76%

I'm 27... 28 in Oct...Dang I'm getting old!! This week I started going to the gym every morning and doing 30min of fasted decent pace cardio w/ ECA. I'm burning between 350-400 calories depending on the pace I keep. I've got a fire lit now that I have been approved to go back to the gym. Diet is on point again like it should have been all along. I definitely pushed my 2nd upper body session a little harder than I probably should have. I was sore for like 4 days. I started with a ton of shoulder work stuff from PT with various light weights. Then I did some lat pulldowns, cable rows, and finished with some pushups. I did 5x15 on everything except when I got to the pushups I was dying. I did 15, 12, 10, 6, and didn't attempt the 5th set. There was no pain except the pain of working out and being sore later. Hell the doc said I could do anything at 15 reps, but I doubt he actually meant to push it like that. It sure was fun though and to me it didn't seem like a lot at the time, but the soreness let me know it was a lot for my body in this state. I'll be back in there again this weekend and I can't wait.
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

I've started ECA a little while ago, but it was more for work...been real busy. My adrenals are already bad so I have to be careful with this sort of thing. I'm taking AndroDrive as well (5 caps daily). Needless to say, I'm on BP meds with that mix. I've added a water pill to my regular cozaar dose. I think during my week vacation, I'm going to try to kick caffeine as much as possible. I'm drinking 3-4 cans of monster per day and that's way too much. Going to try to cut back to 2 cups of coffee in the morning during my trip.

Dude 27 isn't old ;P I'm turning 35 this year. It's all about your mindset and how well you treat your body..and genetics don't hurt either haha.. most people think I'm in my 20s.

Btw, are you doing shrugs or overhead press (military press) at all now? I've been adding in light shrugs at PT, but no OH press. I think I'm going to start doing PT on my own at the gym 2 other days per week, so every other day...and see how that goes for a month before training with a barbell overhead again.
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.45%

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    I've started ECA a little while ago, but it was more for work...been real busy. My adrenals are already bad so I have to be careful with this sort of thing. I'm taking AndroDrive as well (5 caps daily). Needless to say, I'm on BP meds with that mix. I've added a water pill to my regular cozaar dose. I think during my week vacation, I'm going to try to kick caffeine as much as possible. I'm drinking 3-4 cans of monster per day and that's way too much. Going to try to cut back to 2 cups of coffee in the morning during my trip.

Dude 27 isn't old ;P I'm turning 35 this year. It's all about your mindset and how well you treat your body..and genetics don't hurt either haha.. most people think I'm in my 20s.

Btw, are you doing shrugs or overhead press (military press) at all now? I've been adding in light shrugs at PT, but no OH press. I think I'm going to start doing PT on my own at the gym 2 other days per week, so every other day...and see how that goes for a month before training with a barbell overhead again.
    3-4 monster's a day! Dang dude! That's a lot of caffeine and a lot of sugar!
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

Sugar free =) Yeah, I think it's almost a gram of caffeine per day? It's only been this way for a month now, but I get into these high-caffeine kicks once in a while due to deadlines at work ---- it then becomes an addiction though. I am only drinking that many because I'm ultra hooked on that much caffeine, no other reason. I had a week or two that was pretty busy, but it's been weeks since then. Time to cut back next week while I can laze about and relax!

Btw, I also take 1gram of inositol per day, and about a gram of phosphatidylcholine. The inositol supplementation is to replace what the caffeine depletes...phosphatidylcholine compliments inositol greatly and also helps the liver.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.76%

Haha I know 27 isn't really old, but when you're injured and get pudgy during recovery it makes you feel old lol. I did shrugs also at the gym the other day I forgot to mention that. 20lb dumbells in each hand. Did 5x20 and felt great. Could have went heavier, but I was taking it easy. My shoulder work is what seems to be the hardest since it doesn't recruit the other muscles as much. I was using 2.5 and 5lb plates/db's and that crap was tough. I did 70lbs on the lat pulldowns and cable rows and it felt great. I will bump those up more next time. I stuck with 10lb db's for my curls on my 1st workout b/c I was kinda scared since I hadn't been to PT in like 3wks. I also used the machine overhead press on that 1st workout with about 15lbs. I was deathly afraid of that, but it went well and I plan to go heavier next time. I'm just going to take it slow with what feels good, but still allows me to feel I got an actual workout in. As long as I'm not feeling pain during the exercise I'm gonna continue to push the weight up if I can still do 15 reps at the higher weight. It's super exciting getting going again man. I missed this so much and I'm not even back to doing everything I did before. One thing I'm holding off on is deadlifts b/c I don't want all that weight with my arms just hanging down holding it. That scares the hell out of me!!
  17. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

2.5 and 5lb plates/dumbells for your rotator cuff exercises? You should also use the bands/rubber cables! I'm using the thick red one (strongest one) in PT and it kicks my ass when I do them slowly! I started with dumbbells for those exercises but switched to bands.

I'm afraid of deadlifts for a while because I had the bicep tenodesis done, which was the largest part of the surgery. I don't want to get tendonitis which some people get if they train too much/too quickly post op. When I do start back with deads again, I'll likely throw in dynamic work with bands.
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.76%

Ya I never got the rest of my bands besides the yellow one which is pathetic since I never went back after that. I should go buy some I guess. I could use them during the week when I'm unable to make it to the gym b/c of school. That will give me more training which I would like.
  19. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

You can use the cable machine at the gym too, but I really like these rubber cables with the handles (red one)... it gets exponentially harder the more you move through the movement.
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.76%

I tried one of the cable machines, but it starts at 10 and I didn't feel comfortable with it on the side I had surgery. It felt pretty tough compared to the other side and freaked me out lol.
  21. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.33%

I had the same surgery 7 years ago. I'd do exactly what the doctor says. Probably to stay away from anything that involves the upper body. When PT starts a few weeks later, hit that religiously. I had a friend start back too soon & he got to have the same surgery again 6 months later because the anchors broke loose.
  22. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

Hey Brian thanks for posting.

Here's a little recap of progress:

We started PT 3-4 days post op, doing very basic stuff (passive assisted range of motion). There was no strength training until 6-7 weeks post op for me, so basically once 2 months passed.

I'm currently 4 months post op and deep into the strength recovery portion of therapy.

I'm currently using 10 pounds on the cable machine for all rotator cuff exercises. D1/D2 movements, from high and low. We're doing 2 sets of 10 reps for each RC movement on the cable machine. We moved up to 10 pounds on the weekend.

10 pounds for 20 reps x 2 sets of bicep curls and triceps extensions.

8 pound db front raises. 40 pound cable rows.

Pushups on the stability ball (knees on ground, ball against the wall) - this is aiding all the surrounding muscles in the area. We aren't doing full pushups yet although I'm sure I could do them. Not pushing too far too fast, at least till all the tightness has gone. Still getting tightness around my infra/supraspinatus / lower trap/upper trap.
  23. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

Things will be fairly static from here on out, and I'm pretty busy these days, so I won't be updating this often anymore.

I'll make sure to post anything important, or if anything changes.

I'm just over 4 months post op - just a note that even though things have been feeling much better, I'm not ready for any intense work yet. I was at the family cottage this past Sunday shoveling dirt (digging deep, through roots, etc) and I'm still paying for it now. My shoulder was extremely tight and sore that same day and for a few days after...and still feels fairly tight in some spots. It was a stupid move in retrospect. Those surrounding muscles are still getting up to speed, even though my rotator cuff feels fairly strong in PT.

My shoulder itself feels great though today... it's just the infra/supraspinatus, lower trap, and pec causing issues if I push too hard.. Thankfully it seems like the repair was a strong one!
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.45%

Still following. How are the other peptides treating ya? - (CJC1295 w/dac , GHRP-6/Ipamorelin)
  25. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

You know, I actually haven't started them. I wasn't looking forward to pinning 3 times per day because of how busy I've been. I want to start soon though because I'd like to speed up the process now if possible. Tired of the tightness..I feel like I'm constantly heating & rolling out the tight areas/knots.
  26. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

I actually ran out of TB500 again and will be starting the GHRP's now in it's place. I'm a fan of the TB500 though..seemed to be doing the job when I ran 5mg per week.
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.45%

I've been hearing a lot about the GH bleed that 1295 creates and I haven't made up my mind if I'm willing to try that yet. The TB500 sounds killer though! I may need to try that for my joints!
  28. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

I would say, if you do your research, the propensity for sides with TB500 may be higher. It is also a very new peptide. I've read enough conflicting reports that I'd thought I'd give it a run though...and it's not like we're talking super high doses as what's normally done in these clinical trials. The one thing though that I've read, is that it can cause an existing cancer to spread and grow. I've read other reports that it can slow cancer as well. It can't cause cancer though.

Also, the term GH bleed sounds worse than it is...I think it's a bad way to say that your baseline GH levels are just elevated constantly. The GHRP then is added for the pulses, with the elevated baseline greatly magnifying the pulse. It's not bad to have elevated baseline GH levels for a certain amount of time... you could run it indefinitely actually, with short breaks here and there. Of course there are a few sides that may come along with it (water retention thus BP issues, increased dopamine causing possible mania in some people, carpel tunnel like symptoms)... when these start happening, you can back off the CJC a bit if it becomes a problem.

I just ordered medium and heavy bands to do my own strength training at home. The medium band is the round red tube, and I think the heavy band is the dark blue tube. Comes with a door attachment to make it easy to mimic the cable machine. I also just ordered a compact firm rumble roller as well.. you can really work deep into your tissues with this thing. I'm going to take PT into my own hands now, and use the lacrosse balls/yoga balls/rumble roller and occasional ART treatment for any soft tissue issues.

My copay on PT is $40 per session, so it's not worth going anymore at this point. I can do all the strength movements on my own, and I can get superior body work done in a 30-40min A.R.T session for the same price.
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.35%

Quote Originally Posted by saderboy80 View Post
    I have had a slap and bankart repair surgery, and the second time a revision for both. Before both surgeries the tears were larger then 180deg. And as for my surgeon, physical therapist and regular doctor they all stated that besides rehab and walking the first 4wks post-op, you are not allowed any other exercise. I was not even able to do the stationary bike for quite some time. I would ask your surgeon for a specific timeline for lifting/exercise in general, as all surgeons have there preference to things.

My advice is dont take things to fast with the exercise....you'll regret it. And work your ass off in those therapy sessions and sometimes they will cut short the nnumber of sessions you need.
    Same here, bankart repair on my right shoulder and slap tear/capsular shift on my left. I cannot really do decline at all-too much pain. My bench is limited to <200. But I'm managing all my other lifts just fine.
  30. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

4.5 Month Post-Op Update

My bands just arrived today, time to work 100% from home. No more physical therapy for me. I have tons of information and docs to support myself now, but pretty much know offhand what I should be doing.

Can't wait for the tightness to go away. I'm told by most people that it will take the full 8 months or so for that to disappear and the surrounding muscles to fully release.
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.35%

4.5 Month Post-Op Update

My bands just arrived today, time to work 100% from home. No more physical therapy for me. I have tons of information and docs to support myself now, but pretty much know offhand what I should be doing.

Can't wait for the tightness to go away. I'm told by most people that it will take the full 8 months or so for that to disappear and the surrounding muscles to fully release.
    Good luck, keep up updated on our progress!
    After a year off, I'm back
  32. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.76%

The last 2 days have been driving me crazy. I've been having some pain in my shoulder and I'm not sure why. The last time I worked out upper body was last Thursday... No pain on Friday... Went and floated the river Saturday and drank quite a bit, but the water was slow and easy... Noticed no pain that day or Sunday... Sunday evening I had a 2hr upper body massage that felt great... No pain Monday... No pain Tuesday... During Wednesday and today I have noticed more popping than normal and have had some pain at different points. When it pops it doesn't really hurt and if I keep doing the same movement that is causing it to pop it usually stops popping after a while like it has loosened up and maybe it was just stiff.

I'm just really confused b/c the way the last week played out it doesn't really make sense to me that I would be experiencing the pain and popping at this point in relation to my activities. Does anything about that make sense to you? I'm not dying in pain or anything, but that has never been the case. My original injury mostly only bothered me when I lifted weights so I don't know how to register what's going on at this point. Oh I also had my 5mo appointment last week and the doc said I seemed to be doing well and just wants one more visit next month. I didn't have any definitive moment where I hurt myself between then and now so idk wtf is going on. I'm hoping I just slept on it wrong. My neck/trap area has an achy/painful feel to it to so that could be the problem. I am just worried about the shoulder b/c I know it was already a problem before.
  33. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

Hrm I'm not sure. I thought clicking / popping is scar tissue? I haven't had any clicks or pops in a loooong time myself. Probably been a couple months. I've been told that the muscles can be tweaky for a while though, and one day it will just feel right, could be anywhere from the 8-10 month mark.
  34. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

Getting close to 5 Months now

I'm now doing daily cable work from home, pretty much following the "Throwers 10" program but adding in bicep cable curls, single arm OH triceps extension, standing cable rows from mid-height. Basically exercising the rotator cuff, chest, traps, lats and supporting areas daily. High reps (10-20) for 2-3 sets per exercise. Using the strong red cable. I have a thicker dark blue one that I picked up as well which I'm using for the rows and shrugs. The frequent exercising is making the shoulder less stiff, definitely bringing more bloodflow to the area. I don't really notice any aches anymore. Definitely feeling a bit of crunchiness when I rub my shoulder around a bit though. Likely a bit of scar tissue moving around/away.
  35. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.76%

About time for an update man. How you doing?
  36. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

Hey sorry, been insanely busy between work and my side project (I dj / promote in NYC on the side of my day job as a designer).

Well I've been keeping up my rehab from home with the cables, but last week I hit the gym to see what I could do upper-body wise.

I did my regular cable routine, then I tried benching just 135. Didn't attempt as my one side felt unstable when prepping the first press. Let my ego take a hit and then took off the 45's, replaced with 25's and pressed for 10 reps x2 sets. Felt easy and controlled, but wow my ego was way down on the floor for this.

After that I did some bent over rows, just with 25's on a barbell. Real lightweight. Easy. 10 reps X 2 sets. Ran for 15min after. Pretty simple workout.

For about 4-5 days post workout, my shoulder felt GREAT, but my left pec (surgery was on the left side), was FULL of knots and reeeeeal sore. I could roll my lacrosse ball over my whole pec and feel all the knots in it, was crazy!! I massaged and rolled with the lacrosse ball since then, and it's feeling better, but there's still one knot in there that's real bad and painful when I press. Made me super scared that I have gyno, but I don't.

I guess I shouldn't be benching so soon. If I had been real serious about my rehab the past two months, I could be benching by now (it's now 6 months post op), but I have to admit I've let it slide a lot. My pec was injured prior to the surgery (there was a ball of muscle at the top when the injury happened, which is evident of tearing), so I'm thinking this may take longer dealing with the pec issue.

Other people I've spoken to said to just give it time. It took a friend of mine up to 10 months till he was pressing good weight pain-free. One big piece of advice I was given, was to never attempt what I tried again. I should work from a known weight, and only work up in very SMALL increments weekly, with dumbbells/cables only for now.
  37. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

houstontexas - when you are working upper body currently, what does your routine look like? Are you able to flat bench at all yet? What are your #'s looking like atm?

Curious how everything is progressing with you.
  38. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.76%

houstontexas - when you are working upper body currently, what does your routine look like? Are you able to flat bench at all yet? What are your #'s looking like atm?

Curious how everything is progressing with you.
    Sh!t man I was doing really well until about 2wks ago. I started off on the bench press machine around 35 or 40 lbs. One of the low settings. I had recently worked my way up to 100lbs or so and was feeling great. Lifts were going up well in all categories and I was keeping it in the higher rep ranges around 10-12. Doing what my doc said pretty much. Idk wtf happened, but my shoulder area has been sore and painful off and on for the last 2 weeks. I had to quit my upperbody workout 2wks ago b/c curls were making my bicep hurt. I have had one workout since then that went pretty well with no real pain during it, but this past weekend it has been hurting more and I'm freaking out. I am being worked into the schedule tomorrow to see him so I can stop trying to figure it out myself.

I'm having pain in the front of my shoulder and bicep so idk man. I'm thinking it's just overworked one sec, then I'm thinking it's retorn, R.C., bicep tear, sh!t I'm making myself sick lol. My routine was pretty big as far as reps and sets go, but I always felt good until recently. I'll update you when I find something out tomorrow. My advice is take it easier than you think you should lol. Cross your fingers for me haha.

Oh and I'm a constant worrier about this stuff so I could be blowing it out of proportion. Every week since I started working out again I've been pretty sore and always tell my wife "oh it's hurting I must have screwed it up again", but it always seemed ok a few days later. Who knows man. Sorry for the long winded response.
  39. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.57%

During this whole process, there will be times where it will feel like we take 1 step forward and two steps back.

Did you by chance have a bicep tenodesis done when you had your SLAP repair? If not, was the bicep tendon damaged at all during your early MRI's? It could just be a bit of tendonitis. Even if you didn't have a tenodesis, the bicep tendon is attached to the labrum at the front of the shoulder, which was just repaired. It's common post surgery to develop some tendonitis, just have to be careful.

My advice is to check with your orthopedic surgeon and see if you're developing tendonitis, and check on the health of the bicep tendon.
  40. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.35%

During this whole process, there will be times where it will feel like we take 1 step forward and two steps back.

Did you by chance have a bicep tenodesis done when you had your SLAP repair? If not, was the bicep tendon damaged at all during your early MRI's? It could just be a bit of tendonitis. Even if you didn't have a tenodesis, the bicep tendon is attached to the labrum at the front of the shoulder, which was just repaired. It's common post surgery to develop some tendonitis, just have to be careful.

My advice is to check with your orthopedic surgeon and see if you're developing tendonitis, and check on the health of the bicep tendon.
    Agreed, could be tendonitis. My shoulders hurt like crazy when I started working out after both surgeries. I don't really think you have a torn bicep, you could see the skin raised around where the bicep is. Plus it would hurt/burn like a MF. Keep us updated as to what your Ortho says.
    After a year off, I'm back

Similar Forum Threads

1. SLAP tear - surgery/no-surgery/recovery options?
    By Gutterpump in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 03-21-2012, 08:14 PM
  2. Surgery SLAP Tear
    By firefighter2032 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 03:25 PM
  3. HGH for injury repair
    By damadhatter in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 08:12 PM
  4. Steroids May Improve Tendon Repair After Surgery