INJURY LOG: SLAP repair, prehab / surgery / rehabilitation training log

Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last

1. Thanks, I'd thought of that but wasn't sure if it'd be ok so soon post op. It would be my first option as well if the Dr clears it. I'll ask him, I should be seeing him sometime this week.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    Thanks, I'd thought of that but wasn't sure if it'd be ok so soon post op. It would be my first option as well if the Dr clears it. I'll ask him, I should be seeing him sometime this week.
    Def clear it with him and make the Chiro aware of the surgery.

3. Yeah, my atrophy was horrible after my repair. Took around 4 months to catch up with the other side. ART def would help with the adhesions but a good PT should be able to work them out. Keep doing what you're doing dude, sounds like you are ahead of the game right now.

4. Oh, my PT has been working on them every session. He's even been using ultrasound on the knots that won't go away. I have to say I've never had knots like these before, they're huge and ultra persistent! I'm also massaging them daily and using the lacrosse ball a lot.

The last couple days I've tried to really limit how much day to day stuff I'm doing with the arm, and it's been helping..also the magnesium oil is a lifesaver. Really helps to calm the areas when rubbing plenty on.

5. Well I missed my PT appointment yesterday due to work, and can't get in to see him till next week since he's booked solid. Really sucks. Things were supposed to change this week too. I guess a week's delay won't be significant though.

I've been a bit slack lately with the supplements except with the TB-500, Elastamine, SAMe, Androhard and Androdrive. Going to create a new protocol tonight and start the other peptides. I just need to get new slin pins. I'm also very tempted to run EQ for 16-20 weeks to aid the healing / recovery process (I'm on TRT, length isn't an issue as long as I give blood to lower hematocrit and drop RBC back down after). I have to keep reminding myself though that this is not a race. The DHT derivatives are supposedly great for collagen synthesis though.

6. 7.5 Weeks Post-op - Tuesday May 22

First day of adding strength training into my PT program! My ROM is almost back to normal, I'd say 80-90%. We started PT with heat, then abduction with the cane while laying down, then ROM (pullies). We then started exercises with the cable machine. Very light RC exercises. We started with 5 pounds external rotation, keeping elbow locked in and arm bent at 90%. Was a bit much so we lowered to 2.5pnds. I didn't want to push too much when starting strength training for the first time post op. I did 3 sets of 10 external rotation, 3 sets of 10 internal rotation. Then we 2 sets of 10 starting with arm internally rotated by opposite hip, then ending movement in abduction, arm up like I'm holding a sword. The movement is similar to unsheathing a sword and then holding up in the air (think reverse cable flies). We then moved onto cable rows 2 sets of 10 at only 10 pounds (using both hands, squeezing shoulders back). Our last movement was holding the cables high in front of me, one in each hand, then pushing down and behind me, squeezing shoulders back again (targeting the muscle between the shoulder blades). I'll get the proper name for each exercise and post later.

We then did some Yoga, a couple poses and one sun movement. Not sure the names. After that I had a lot of body work done by the head PT. Told him about all the knots, and he fixed me up. He found an area that was causing problems, that I wasn't aware about. There's a spot where my lat attached to the ribs on the side, mid-back, which was CRAZY sore when he massaged. He focused on that for a while and did a lot of manipulation of my arm as well as massaged around the shoulder blade, triceps, bicep and delts as well. Feeling great today. I expected some pain from strength training, but everything is feeling great.

TB-500 - 5mg per week
    SAMe - 600mg day (200 / 200 / 200)
    Twinlab Joint Fuel
    Androhard (4 caps)
    Androdrive (4 caps)

Nothing too crazy supp wise at the moment, nothing compared to the first month - 5 weeks. Slacking on starting my CJC + ghrp's... they're really inconvenient due to multiple shots per day and timing away from carbs, plus I'm low on pins. Ordering more and will start next week. EQ/var is in my sights - maybe in the next month or two, since we've started strength training now. I think it would've been a waste before and the TB-500 should be doing it's thing right now anyhow.. if the progress is good as is, I may not go there though. I've tried deca once, but 19nor's don't interest me at all after that. Never again. Var/EQ is much better at it's intended purpose anyhow (connective tissue repair), and GH even better than those 2.

7. Hey man I'm glad you updated today as I just came on to AM to ask how you were doing. I had my 8wk follow up with my surgeon yesterday and he gave me clearance to move my arm in any position and as much as I want. I am to use no resistance besides gravity when not in a PT session. Lifting my arm and moving it around again is an awesome feeling. I was almost scared to move it yesterday b/c I didn't know how it would feel, but it is great and pretty motivating. I have pretty good ROM which should only get better with time. I'm really anxious to hit the 12 and 16wk marks b/c then I'll really be able to do more. I'm glad things seem to be going well for you and hopefully those knots don't give you any more trouble.

8. thanks for posting, definitely keep letting me know how things go. I'm at my surgeons office right now waiting for his checkup. I just saw my GP and my BP is way up! 136/105! I'm thinking it's due to the TB500, since I am already on cozaar for blood pressure. He gave me a light water pill to start taking with it.

Its def a great feeling to be able to move the arm around again. I'm lucky to have almost full use of it again for day to day things. It feels fairly normal except for the occasional tweak if I move quickly with it or grab something quickly if I forget that it's injured. I can carry my laptop fine with that arm, pull on my shoes etc..

I am really kicking myself for stopping cardio though. I've gained about 15 pounds in the last 2 months.. Can't believe I'm 250 pounds now. I've NEVER weighed that much. I can't really see a huge difference either. Def carrying a bit extra around the waist now though, but not a WHOLE lot more. I must carry the weight well? Either way, I'm getting on a low carb diet soon to shed water (lower blood pressure) and shed some fat.

9. Just saw the surgeon. He's really impressed with how quick I've recovered. ROM is great, strength is normal (when doing resistance tests) and at 2 months post op! He called me the poster boy of recovery for this. I guess I made the right decisions on supps to take

He told me to continue the strength traing in PT but not to hit heavy weights in the gym for a couple more months. I told him I'd be doing high rep stuff only when I start training upper body again, and he said 'sounds great'. I'll see him again in another month to see where I'm at. I can likely start high-rep upper body training then...not because I won't be able to lift heavy, but just to be protective. That's the name of the game.

Heavy lower body training will continue though..

BTW (adding onto the log for anyone following): the TB-500 calls to be injected sub-Q, but I've been shooting it directly into the affected shoulder (outer delt) IM, with a .5" pin. Just a technical note.

10. Today marks 2 months post op!

Since I've been recovering so well, therapy now has no limitations (as per Dr's comments). We are doing strength training via various methods now. Cables, bands (I'm using the strongest band they have), flexible body bar (quick side to side movements while holding it straight out, while the bar wobbles side to side rhythmically - this one is REAL tough and really burns) - we used various positions with the bar. We are still doing some yoga as well. The nots are slowly dissipating..I still need to ask if A.R.T is ok to do, but at this point I'd think it is. I'm really not in any pain though at all anymore though. Some tender spots, but still rolling them out against the wall with my lacrosse ball.

I attribute the quick healing to the use of my cold compression ice machine in the weeks immediately after surgery ( I was EXTREMELY diligent with it, using it for hours daily) - and the good range of supps I've been taking, as well as the TB-500. One area I need to keep an eye on is the incision area on my bicep. I need to continuously massage it to prevent any adhesions with the tissues beneath it.

11. 9 Weeks Post Op

I am just over the 2 month mark, we've been strength training since week 7. Last week - my 2nd strength session, we dropped the cables, etc, and went straight to dumbells. I used 3,5, and 7 pound dumbells for various rotator cuff exercises, tricep extensions and bicep curls. He then did PNF for a while. The PNF felt like it will help a lot. But I've been very sore the days after, nothing severe, just nagging soreness. I have been icing/heating and rubbing magnesium oil on it, and take many supplements as well.

I am also still working out on the regular. I work my core and lower body. I squat with the safety squat bar (w/ handles) and do GHR's, ham curls, etc. I am able to do pec deck now, but not the full range of motion, only 3/4 and no stretch... very important to keep it that way for now, and only low weight high reps... In 2 months I will be back to training fullbody, but I will not powerlift yet - instead I will focus on bodybuilding techniques which are easier on the body - volume training - high reps lower weight. Once I am ok'd to power lift again, I will start training with the conjugate method (Westside). I will use the current time to rebalance my frame/muscle balance, and improve conditioning.

I am giving up supersetting and the like - this is too hard on the body and CNS/recovery. Check Defranco's site for info on someone who went through TONS of surgeries, and completely changed his training protocols to prevent future injuries:

Training which address's hypertrophy, strength, mobility and function.

The largest hurdle I forsee, will be the scapular area, infraspinatus, teres major, and side of neck. Strange I know, but these are supporting muscles. They are causing me the most issues right now. I spoke with others who are further down the road of reovery, and they said this is very intuitive, so for anyone reading, pay CLOSE attention to these areas!!

I forgot to mention that I've changed my diet completely now to a Paleo diet, somewhat following the lean gains protocol. I am trying to lose the weight I gained during the first month of recovery when I wasn't moving.

12. ~10 Weeks Post Op

I had a Physical therapy session last Tuesday. We used the body bar on a bosu ball, doing the range of motion with it from opposite hip to up in the air (think sword in scabbard, to drawn sword) all while shaking it / wobbling it nonstop for 30 seconds, short break then repeating 3 times. This was challenging at first but once I found the rhythm with it, I was fine.

We used 3,5,7 pound dumbbells again. 7 pound dumbbells for bicep curls, 3 sets of 20 each arm (easy). 7 pound dumbbells for overhead triceps extensions (easy). 5 pound for rotator cuff external rotation (bilateral). 3 pound dumbbells for front raises (easy).

I threw in an extra set just because I felt I could.

After all this we did PNF again, and then I had bodywork done (working out knots and such) and had some kinesio tape placed carefully on the traps and neck - the main area that's bothering me.

This was 2 days ago. Today I feel great so I'm going for another session. I'm going to stick to 2 sessions per week, and if I feel fine after today's session, I will do these exercises on my own from home as well, with one day of recovery in-between.

I never would have thought recovery would be moving this quickly after reading other logs. The atrophy is almost reversed now too, it's not bad at all.

The only pain that I get now, once in a while, is around the incision on my bicep. I have to keep remembering to massage that area. The pain is likely due to adhesions.

Just saw Prometheus at IMAX last night and it was f&*kng amazing. Can't wait for part II to answer some questions!!

BTW, I'll see if I can take a photo of my PT chart and post on here to share.

13. I'm 11wks post-op today and feeling pretty good. I'm only going to PT once a week b/c I started summer classes after work, but I do my normal routine at home 1 or 2 days in addition to the PT appt. Glad to hear everything is still going well for you. Keep up the good work man.

14. Thanks. What do they have you doing now? Mainly AAROM and PROM? Watch that scapular area when you start strength training.

15. This is what I do when I go in there:

1. Lie on my back on a table and do stretches using a weighted stick (idk the real name, but last week I moved from 1lb to 3lb). stomach to behind the head (best way I can describe the motion lol), pushup motion, circles, side to side, etc. (all while holding the stick with both hands)
    2. Using a 1lb dumbell so far I do punches from that same position on my back and then sit up and do curls.
    3. Move onto the yellow band for rows, internal, and external rotation.
    4. front raises with thumbs up, front raises with thumbs down, all without weights or bands and all at a 45degree angle.
    5. 6 min on hand bike. 3min going forward and 3 min going backwards.
    6. Ice pack for 5-10min

16. Oh that's great, I didn't know how far along you were. Watch the hand bike - I got them to up the tension on it because it felt easy, and I was paying for it after! Right now I use it for a 5min warmup before the dumbbells. I totally forgot to mention it above!

17. Fantastic log bro and really great detail, sure it will help a lot of people. Glad to see you are recovering well

18. When do you expect to be able to do things like pushups and pullups? I'm going in for my 12wk visit on Tuesday and my PT is feels as though I'm ready to be without restrictions, but she said of course it's up to my doc. She told me she wishes all of her patients went through PT as well as me b/c it would make them and her a lot happier. I can't imagine how depressed I would be if it was nearing wk 12 and I was still having a lot of problems with things like ROM etc. I'm very happy everything has went well for me so far and I'm sure you feel the same way.

19. My doc said no restrictions in PT, but definitely restrictions in the gym right now. He told me not to attempt lifting heavy until after week 16 or so, depending. He said you'll still want to protect the repair, but that volume training is fine. Today I did chest press with a light weight and felt fine. I also did rotator cuff exercises on my own in the gym and front raises. I'm also leg pressing 400+ pounds for reps now, which is nice. I want to really aim on the areas that will improve my squat when I get back to normal training, so I'm also hitting the core real heavy and doing back extensions as well. I really need to up my hip mobility still though and ham flexibility.

You will not want to do dips anymore, or flies beyond parallel to floor. Not for a long time if at all anymore, definitely no more dips or upright rows at all, ever, if you want to stay injury free and protect the repaired area.

Are you doing wall pushups? It really helps strengthen the scapular area. If you're not doing them, ask your PT about them and how to perform them properly to focus on the scapular area.

20. There are things my PT would have me doing, but my doc still has me on a conservative schedule. I think it will really kick up after this week since it's week 12. Probably start doing wall pushups and ball tosses. Wow that sucks about dips!! I really loved doing dips. Never really did much upright rows or deep flies so those won't be missed. I wish I could just fast forward a few months and be back in the gym on a normal routine lol.

21. good share !!
    You come in peace, but you go back in pieces

22. Thanks! Hopefully this well help lots of peeps out there with similar injuries / surgeries.

Week 11 Post Op

I haven't updated in a lil while, been busy at work and play. Summertime in the city means out and about with the ladies! It feels so nice to be single and dating in NYC. I'm usually tied up with a longterm girlfriend, but I've decided not to get serious for a while, so I can focus on my own stuff. I've started DJing again on the side but am also trying to get my own side-business up and running. I'm a designer (mainly motion graphics, but I do it all). I'm trying to learn iPhone app dev and am studying how to manipulate web traffic. I have some new/big links in both industries (app dev and web feeds). I'd love to one day work 2-3 days per week and be rich - so focusing on business is the only way. Lots of work in the beginning but should pay off over time. I'm actually planning a trip to LA this summer as well, and will be staying at a friend's in the hills, working on music, DJing a gig and enjoying the scenery. Can't wait for that trip. Hoping to get some snowboarding in as well if the glacier is open.

So here's the latest PT log:

I've stopped the TB-500 2 weeks ago because I ran out, and general pain came back pretty quickly. I've ordered more and it arrived, so I will be starting it again today. 5mg for a few weeks then back to 2mg weekly. The main pain I'm getting is joint pain in the shoulder, and adhesions around my upper trap, scapular area, and generally all around my shoulder blade - lots of adhesions and small knots.

I found out that my upper peck needed releasing, the therapist did some trigger point therapy on the upper peck which helped release the crazy knot in my upper / outer trap. Was crazy painful while he was working that area, but I feel much better. I've also been going for deep tissue massages, and asking the ladies to help too. Of course, still using the lacrosse ball and rolling against the wall or floor.

Here is my latest strength training log during my last PT session:

(everything is done bilaterally)

Started with band pull aparts: very high reps with blue band
    Then: band pull aparts in bridge position on large yoga ball, 2 min nonstop

bicep curls 8 pound dumbbells x 25 reps x 2 sets
    Overhead Tricep extensions 8x20x2

external rotation (cable machine): 5x12x2
    scaption: 5x15x2

Rows (cable machine) really focusing on the scapular area, inner back muscles : 22,5x15x2
    Shrugs: 8x20x2

D2 with body bar (with oscillating movement) for 1min nonstop
    Lateral body bar (with oscillating movement) for 1min nonstop

Bodywork after this (release of upper peck and work on the adhesions in upper trap)
    Ice for 15min, then more ice at home and food

23. Week 12 + 13

Nothing huge to report back. I started using TB-500 again and had almost immediate relief of any pain I was having, within a few days of first 5mg dose again. I'm 100% sold on this naturally occurring peptide, where it comes to injury repair.

Strength training remains the same as before, but now we're using cables and bands for the D1/D2 movements. We are continuing the dumbbell exercises, adding in some more Yoga as well.

I had some major tightening in the outer-lower pec, really deep adhesions/knoting. I had to get the PT to work hard doing A.R.T to the area, with lots of icing later on that day. This has helped a lot. I didn't realize for a while that I had issues in my pec, but this was causing imbalance in my shoulder and muscle pain in the rear delt/rhomboids. Things are MUCH better now!

24. Hey i dont mean to just bump onto thread like this but im just curious. Hope you dont mind. I injured my knee at football camp. I just had my MRI and the doc said I ruptured my acl,tore my meniscus pretty bad, an have tears in my mcl and lcl. I know I won't be able to play football this year. But I was wondering if anyone knows if I'll even be the same after surgery? I've already had meniscus tear surgery in the same knee before. But I have no info or experience with the other injuries.

25. I'm not familiar with your injuries or the surgery required to repair them, sorry. Maybe someone else will chime in but you could also look for injury specific forums on the web. There's a few good ones out there. is where I got a lot of info from personally.

Log entry:
    It's been almost 4 months post op now. Exercises include 10 pound dumbbell for bi/tris, 20 rep sets. Red rubber cable (strongest cable) for rotator cuff exercises. We just started using the cable machine as well for all rotator cuff movements. I can't remember the weight, but I'm feeling much better now as the weight is going up. I am also doing pushups with a medium sized yoga ball now, against the wall. I should've been doing these ages ago...the stability required hits a lot of supporting muscles around my problem areas.

I think I may join hot yoga soon (Bikram) and keep up my lower body workouts for another month or so, then start to hit the gym doing fullbody workouts again near the end of August. Once I am back and feeling great, I want to start training westside (conjugate method) and really focus on mobility work as well. I hope to rejoin my powerlifting gym by October (a total of 6 months post op).

I'm in a toss-up between Westside or DC training. I want to rebuild some size so I may go DC, which should also help stength-wise too. Both programs are pretty great, and I love the variation in Westside, so we'll see. Lots of time to plan.

26. I went for my 16wk checkup on the 19th and have been approved to do any exercises I want as long as the weight I use allows me to get 15+ reps. I have been hitting various shoulder exercises, some regular pushups, cable rows, curls, & lat pulldowns. I'm hitting the cardio again and working my lower body as well. I'm pretty much doing an upper day and lower day b/c I don't have time for more lifting plus I'm sore for days after my first workouts. It feels awesome to be getting close to normal again!! Doc said he will fully release me on my next visit (20wk post op) as long as everything is still going smoothly. I'm glad everything is going well man and I'm sure you will be killing whatever program you choose very soon.

Oh one thing that is still annoying is I have a good amount of popping if I do a circle with my arm or move it over my head in a certain way. Doc said it could take up to 6 more months or so for that to go away completely. It doesn't hurt at all, but I still don't like it. Are you having any popping still?

27. Thanks man, glad to hear your progress as well. Seems like things are moving well for you. I think I'm being a bit conservative with my estimates to get back to normal training. I'm just worried about the scapular region / infra+superspinatus (which are real tight right now), and trap on repaired side. That's where I have knotting/tightness. The TB500 helps, along with heat/rolling (foam roller + lacrosse ball) and ice.

I haven't had popping for about a month or more now. Must be scar tissue I think. Could take a while to clear out.

Have you ever trained DC before?

28. Ya I was thinking you sounded a little conservative, but I figured you were just going by what the doc was recommending. I made a poor attempt at DC training for like a week or less lol. I don't have much input based upon that short run. I'm going to be doing more this high volume stuff the next month or so and then move down to something like 8-12 reps avg. I still need to find a routine that I want to stick with once I get to that point. I just don't want to go back to trying to push too much weight too fast b/c that is how I got myself into this situation before and that was doing 5x5 etc and constantly moving up the weight. Once I feel like I'm really good to go and have been in the gym for a while again I will probably switch it up to include lower reps as well. I know that my plan is based more on fear probably than necessity, but I don't give a **** lol.

29. That's a good plan, I should really do the same, at least for the remainder of the year. Maybe an HST-type routine with high volume. How's the atrophy been for you, and has size come back during PT?

I'm on vacation for a week pretty soon. I think I'll do some planning in that time.

30. I look a bit smaller or less toned I guess muscle wise. I also gained a good bit of fat during my "I can't do anything, I'm depressed, I'm going to eat what I want" phase so that doesn't help as far as seeing how much my muscle has changed in the mirror. I'm definitely weak in the gym upon my 1st and 2nd actual workout, but that is to be expected b/c of how restricted we are post surgery and everything our shoulders went through to make the surgery a success. Overall I don't think it the atrophy was nearly as bad as I was expecting from some other posts I had read. You seem to pay a lot more attention to everything that is going on with your recovery than me so how was your atrophy?

I honestly bs'd my way through the 2nd month of PT and barely did it. I started going back to school after work everyday and also went on a vacation during that time and I somehow justified not doing much PT. It was stupid, but my doc didn't seem to think it was a huge deal when I was expecting him to tell me I was a horrible patient. He seemed happy with my strength and ROM etc and said my fitness level before surgery and my age really helped my situation. I just think about how crappy recovery must be when having the same surgery or worse as a 65yr old in poor shape.

Similar Forum Threads

1. SLAP tear - surgery/no-surgery/recovery options?
    By Gutterpump in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 03-21-2012, 08:14 PM
  2. Surgery SLAP Tear
    By firefighter2032 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 03:25 PM
  3. HGH for injury repair
    By damadhatter in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 08:12 PM
  4. Steroids May Improve Tendon Repair After Surgery