INJURY LOG: SLAP repair, prehab / surgery / rehabilitation training log

Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last

1. Thanks, yeah it's going great. Sounds like you have a cryo-cuff. It is the best thing you can do right now, as it lowers inflammation so that less tissue damage occurs, and healing / recovery will be MUCH faster. I would definitely keep using it as much as possible. Find a way to keep it on, even velcro straps. The one I have wraps around my whole torso, so it doesn't move much at all.

From all the reading I've done, it is really necessary in the few weeks post-op, for lowering inflammation. Even if you aren't feeling pain or feeling like you need it, I would force myself to use it. I tried to use mine for ~8-10 hours per day. The good thing with mine is that the temp keeps constant, whereas the cryocuffs that use ice or that freeze, they continuously raise in temp till it's room temperature, so you're not getting the same effect as the machine. Maybe your Dr can prescribe the machine? It was fully covered for me, and someone came to set it up at my house (apartment).

How long has it been post-op for you now, how many weeks?

I also rarely use my sling anymore, just for protection when I'm in busy areas (subway, etc).

2. I'm 2 days away from being 4wks post op. It seems a little late to start using the ice now to me, but what do I know. I just find sitting around with that stuff strapped to me so inconvenient and annoying. Maybe I'll ask him Thur morning if the ice is a big deal and if he thinks the ice machine is ideal. I would think if he used them much he would have just gotten me one from the beginning though. Who knows...
    •   

3. Yeah that's true, it's mainly useful in the beginning. It was super annoying having to use it, but I just played a lot of video games and watched a lot of TV. I managed to get through 2 seasons of Walking Dead, and the first season of Dexter, not to mention all 8 seasons of Trailer Park Boys (the finest Canadian export). I just sat there most of the first two weeks, glued to my couch with the cold compress machine. I wasn't taking any painkillers, so that made me want to use it more.

4. Hell I was back to work after 3 days so I wasn't really at home to use the ice much anyways. I wish I could have just played games and watched tv lol.

5. I was back to work after a few days as well. I mainly iced in the evenings, but I also iced at work with a cryocuff I bought. I am lucky that I also work from home 2-3 days per week too, so I likely did more than 8 hours per day total come to think of it. Working from home is new at my job the past year. Since my team has moved offices, they gave us laptops since there isn't enough physical office space, so we are cubical sharing. Can't complain about that!
    •   

6. That's cool man. Well the work from home part, but not the cubicle sharing lol. I saw these 2 guys sharing 1 little bitty cubicle the other day at work and it was hilarious. It was just temporary, but it looked funny as hell. I mean they were side by side.

7. I enjoyed Walking Dead! Definitely helps the time pass! Gotta get that arm back for the zombie apocalypse! Don't forget Cardio Cardio Cardio! I love Zombieland too! Haha

8. Quote Originally Posted by houstontexas View Post
    That's cool man. Well the work from home part, but not the cubicle sharing lol. I saw these 2 guys sharing 1 little bitty cubicle the other day at work and it was hilarious. It was just temporary, but it looked funny as hell. I mean they were side by side.
    Yeah it's like that somedays when we have team meetings, when my cube mate and I are both in the office, but generally we have alternating days haha..I couldn't work with 2 people in one cube. We have a couple spares so if someone is in on an at home day, there's usually somewhere to sit so we don't have to buddy up. My team is almost all female though (marketing team) so buddying up is usually fine with me haha.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Axillist View Post
    I enjoyed Walking Dead! Definitely helps the time pass! Gotta get that arm back for the zombie apocalypse! Don't forget Cardio Cardio Cardio! I love Zombieland too! Haha
    I can't wait for the next season.. I blew through those episodes too quick! Wondering what's waiting for them at the fort. Still have a lot of episodes of Dexter though, pretty good show too. Nice n twisted.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    I can't wait for the next season.. I blew through those episodes too quick! Wondering what's waiting for them at the fort. Still have a lot of episodes of Dexter though, pretty good show too. Nice n twisted.
    I haven't watched Dexter yet but I have heard nothing but good things about it. I might check out Season 1 so I know what's going on.

11. Definitely, you'll like it. It's a pretty interesting show and nicely twisted.

I took my first dose of TB-500 this morning. I read that high doses can cause flu-like feelings at first, so I only used half my 5MG vial this morning. Felt fine after. Going to dose the rest tomorrow or the next day. Plan is to use 5MG weekly for 4-6 weeks, then 2mg monthly after this for maintenance.

Today is my first day that I didn't wear my sling, but I took a car to work. I'll keep the sling for busy areas and subway only now.

12. So I took the remainder of the 5MG of TB-500 last night, so ended up taking the total 5MG in one day. Nothing bad to report back, and I didn't heal overnight either lol. I still have fairly constant pain deep in the shoulder (likely from the anchor) or it could be my lateral delt, which is by far way overworked at the moment. Hopefully the TB-500 has a fairly quick effect on this, but I will start daily massage to the area as well. I also have an area on my bicep, just below the lateral delt, that has a hard ball in the muscle. That part doesn't hurt, but I'm trying to massage it out daily as well. Feels like a golf ball in there.

13. 4 Weeks Post-op - Friday April 26

My sling is now officially off and Friday was my first day back in the gym. It's a powerlifting specific gym and it's all familiar faces in there, so I spent some time catching up with people I haven't seen in a while before getting into my first workout in over 2 months.

4-5 sets of 8-10 bulgarian split squats, going deep and holding at bottom, keeping shin straight/vertical

I was just grabbing a 20 pound weight in my right hand. Surprised myself at my balance, usually I hate these but balance felt fine and I was able to get in most of my reps. I may have done more than 5 sets, can't remember since I was taking my time and chatting a lot. Didn't want to have an intense workout since it was my first day back.

4 set of 8-10 GHR's (Glute Ham Raises)

Just did bodyweight. Getting into position was awkward with one arm, but I did it.

Glutes n Hams are hurting today! Split squats always nail the glutes for me and so do GHR's. Next workout I will be getting out the safety bar and squatting. Goal is to squat, do GHR's and split squats twice a week, and heavy, eventually. Going to build up some big legs at least if I can't work upper body.

ROM is getting better daily. I can lift my arm directly overhead now and internal rotation is getting better now. Using the arm for day to day things. I had to take my dog to the emergency clinic for surgery on Saturday, for a blockage in his intestine. He's an american bulldog and chews threw anything. Really sucks, I can't give him any toys now. Hopefully will have him back tomorrow! But wow that was a test for my arm. I had to lift him in and out of the SUV on the way there, using both arms. It hurt a bit after but I iced it and today it feels fine.

14. Good updates man. Glad to hear everything is going well. I had my first PT appt Friday and went and worked out legs afterwards as well. It was my first time being back in the gym too and boy did it feel good. Just being in the environment etc was cool to me. PT went well, but it's just PROM for the next 4 weeks. After that we begin strengthening etc. My PT made a comment that my doctor was going a little slower than normal as far as treatment goes, but she said it's up to him and how he thinks PT applies to my situation etc. I'm confident in him and the PT center as well so I'm sure it will all work out fine. Shoulder is feeling better everyday. Keep those updates coming bro b/c it is very beneficial to me reading about someone else going through this and we both had surgery at pretty much the same time. Be careful with that dog too lol. Hope he comes out of there better than ever.

15. Thanks man, I'll be picking him up this afternoon, he's doing well

16. What was your best lifts, in the big 3 prior to the injury?

17. My 1RM's:

Standing overhead strict BB Press: about 190
    Deadlift: 475 (hip mobility is bad, not firing up hams during standard deadlift at all)
    Squat: pretty ****ty around 300, hip mobility needs a LOT of work, not firing up the hams when I squat, something to focus on now
    Bench: ~ 250

Since making the switch to more of a powerlifting program and gym last summer, I've noticed some pretty serious issues with my form and mobility. Mainly hip flexors that are cranked ultra tight, not allowing me to fire up my hams very much at all during the squat and deadlift. I have really bad hyper-lordosis. It's all quads, glutes and back for me when I do squats and deads, so I've been focusing on GHR's, posterior chain work and intense mobility work since January, but had to stop the mobility stuff after the injury.

18. Not bad!

Tight hips is an issue I have as well(MANY people have it).

I started training full time with a friend who is a PL as well, and am thinking of doing a meet maybe in the fall. I would like to come out east and do an APA meet and attempt to take the 198lb strict over head press record(pending it doesn't get smashed before then..lol)

19. Not bad lifts though Gutterpump! Not at all considering what you have been through!

20. 198lb is the current APA record for strict press? My coach is doing 225 for reps, but he's a freggin beast 260lbs @ about 5'8 or so. I'm not actually sure when/where he competes though, he's fairly new to our gym and I've been out for a while.

The last I tested my 1RM for strict press was last summer, and I got 181lbs, that's how I'm assuming my 1RM was about 190 in January, but I may be off a bit on that.

21. Quote Originally Posted by Axillist View Post
    Not bad lifts though Gutterpump! Not at all considering what you have been through!
    Oh these were all numbers prior to surgery when I was healthy hehe. I can't wait to take care of all my mobility issues and blast through to the 500's in my deadlift though. Has to be my favorite lift. I love ME lifts, and pulling off the floor feels better than squatting to me.

22. Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    198lb is the current APA record for strict press? My coach is doing 225 for reps, but he's a freggin beast 260lbs @ about 5'8 or so. I'm not actually sure when/where he competes though, he's fairly new to our gym and I've been out for a while.

The last I tested my 1RM for strict press was last summer, and I got 181lbs, that's how I'm assuming my 1RM was about 190 in January, but I may be off a bit on that.
    No 198lb weight class. I have done 225 x 2(230 x 1 immedietly after that) already and am probably closer to 240 right now when fresh on a true max. I hope to be around 275 by winter.

23. Ahh I gotcha. Yeah you're waaay ahead of me lol. How long have you been powerlifting for now? That's a really respectable number man.

I started last summer, but last fall my training was really inconsistent too, so that's why I didn't' really focus on mobility till the new year as well. I was so busy last fall and also had a couple recurring injuries around that left shoulder.

Tbh though, I am starting to re-think my goals and training now. I don't want to go through another injury like this again. From what I've heard though, it's pretty commonplace in the PW'ing world and doesn't mean I'll have to stop. I just may scale back a bit and go for more volume.

24. Thanks!.

Umm roughly 3months ago. Did an 8 week conditioning phase, and am on week 4(deload) of our strength phase. So really not that long.

Best lifts so far are 505lb DL(this was like 4 months ago), I pulled 480 last week for an easy triple, and will pull 500 next week for a triple IIRC I did 405 x 12 reps in my conditioning phase. Goal is 600lb by fall.

345lb bench. My worst lift..lol I need to get my form down a bit here. Would like to hit 405 at some point.

230 SOHP Shooting for 250 in the not too distant future.

425 squat, but we train squats after DL. I would like a 500lb raw squat.

25. Damn, your lifts were already great before focusing on strength! Wish I had numbers like that!

I was pretty happy last summer when I pulled that 1RM for my deadlift though. I hadn't been deadlifting consistently at all, ever( due to lordosis / pain / tight hips), so that was an essentially untrained deadlift that maxed out way above my other numbers.

I mainly switched my style to powerlifting so that I could be more athletic (functional strength), focusing on full body movements and proper form/mobility.

26. Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    Ahh I gotcha. Yeah you're waaay ahead of me lol. How long have you been powerlifting for now? That's a really respectable number man.

I started last summer, but last fall my training was really inconsistent too, so that's why I didn't' really focus on mobility till the new year as well. I was so busy last fall and also had a couple recurring injuries around that left shoulder.

Tbh though, I am starting to re-think my goals and training now. I don't want to go through another injury like this again. From what I've heard though, it's pretty commonplace in the PW'ing world and doesn't mean I'll have to stop. I just may scale back a bit and go for more volume.
    Haha. Damn I misunderstood! I was really feeling terrible about myself thinking you were lifting that much this soon after surgery!

27. Haha noooo, I won't try those lifts for a while. =D Band work / strength training won't start in my left arm/shoulder for another 3-4 weeks. Only isometrics for now!

I'm doing split squats and GHR's with bodyweight. I'm so far behind right now in my lifts but hey, it's only temporary!

28. ~ 6 Weeks Post-op - Monday May 14

Physical therapy is still the same, doing regular ROM and adding a bit of AROM into the routine. Doing some isometrics and yoga as well in and out of therapy.

Major problem right now: Muscle adhesions and knots in surrounding / supportive areas. I am not sure what is causing this so much, other than the muscles are getting used to the shoulder's new position. It's possible I am using the arm too much as well. Anyone have any input here?

I've been constantly trying to roll out all the knots that I have using my yoga tuneup ball and lacrosse ball against the wall and floor. There's a major one in my bicep, my outer delt, and tricep. There's also a big knot in my trap, around where the 1st rib is attaching at the top. My infraspinatus is SUPER sore and tight most days, supraspinatus is also tight but not as bad.

Last night I rubbed in a lot of magnesium oil into the areas and am feeling much better today.

Gym workouts are twice a week, Mondays and Fridays:

I'm now able to use the safety squat bar. It feels fine on my back/shoulders, the handles are in the perfect spot as well. I thought I'd have to keep my left arm down or away from holding the handle, but I was fine with holding both. I made sure that my arms didn't kick in at all, the weight was fully balanced on my back and kept low.

After squatting 5x5 with the safety squat bar, I moved onto:
    5x8 Bulgarian Split Squats, holding just a 30 pound db
    5x5 GHR's with bodyweight

I may start to step it up soon, and add sled pulls into the routine. Once things are going well, I will add a third day (on Wednesday) into the leg routine. This day would just be very light weight and high reps, just to aid healing and recovery.

Hopefully once I'm fully back in action, I'll be a 500 pound squatter! That's the goal with all this leg work I'm doing..it's basically the only goal I can have right now. I have no idea how things will be when I start lifting with upper body again, but most people tell me I should heal fine from this, according to what I had done.

Peptides:

This is my 3rd week of pinning 5mg of TB-500.
    Haven't started up CJCw/dac + GHRP's yet.

Btw: Atrophy has been fairly bad on the affected side, but not as bad as I had thought, and not as bad as photos I've seen. It may have something to do with the supplement and diet protocol, as well as having been out of the sling early. The Dr had me out of the sling on day 3, only for short periods during the day while walking around my apartment, while working at my desk or while doing assisted passive ROM. I am almost certain he had me doing this since I had a lot of strength going into surgery. As a side note, if you're not athletic but following my log, I wouldn't follow what I am doing unless your Dr says so.

29. Don't give up buddy!

30. ART. Find a local practitioner and get in there asap. I get knotted up on my lower trap(ie. behind my shoulder blade/upper back) something fierce. It literally is like a golf ball. I get an ART session, and after that they have the massage lady work on it a bit, and I feel like a million bucks. If I keep up with it, like monthly appointments I never have issues. I actually just went last week and it has been a year.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. SLAP tear - surgery/no-surgery/recovery options?
    By Gutterpump in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 03-21-2012, 07:14 PM
  2. Surgery SLAP Tear
    By firefighter2032 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 02:25 PM
  3. HGH for injury repair
    By damadhatter in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 07:12 PM
  4. Steroids May Improve Tendon Repair After Surgery