The Sets and Reps of it

Gray Fox

Awards
Hi there. I'm new to the forum here and just want to say hello. I'm originally from the BodyBuilding.com messageboards but I have recently moved on as I have been getting sick of some of the stuff that goes on there. I see a few people that I recognise from the BB.com boards, Yellow Jacket, Curt2go, Labrad, to name a few.

That being said. I have recently redone my entire workout program and I am pretty satisfied with it but there is an issue for me that I have not settled. Now for hyperthropy the rest time between sets is said to be 60 seconds. But what I am wondering about is does this apply to the time between excercises as well. For example:

(Chest)
Barbell Flat Bench Press (3 sets of 8) *60 seconds rest between sets*
*60 seconds rest*
Barbell Incline Bench Press (3 sets of 8) *60 seconds rest between sets*
*60 seconds rest*
Barbell Flat Bench Press (1 set to failure)

*60 seconds rest*

(Triceps)
Barbell Close Grip Bench Press (3 sets of 8) *60 seconds rest between sets*

*60 seconds rest*

Skull Crushers (3 sets of 8) *60 seconds rest between sets*

--------------------

Thank you for your help.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards

(Chest)
*60 seconds rest*
*60 seconds rest*

*60 seconds rest*

(Triceps)

*60 seconds rest*

First off, welcome brother, you're certainly gonna be missed over there, but we'll have ya......

You can do it this way, to make it less aerobic, especially if your'e bulking. But this will put you in the weight room for sometime. If you have time, so be it, try it out. It will however keep your heart rate in check so burning calories wont be as prevalent as it would if you didnt take such a long rest. Its your choice though.

On a side note, I would add a couple more sets to your chest routine if at all possible, and to save time, cut that rest back to 45 seconds or so. 7 sets is a bit low, but if you feel you're working your inner chest at a good rate, dont add any sets. My hands are very close on close grip bench, so its probably 90% Triceps, 10% Chest.

Best of luck G. Fox.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
i've been resting 2 minutes between sets... i need some pointers here, this is off androgens...

monday:
flat bench, 3 sets of 10-12
flat bench(wide grip), 3 sets of 10-12
skullcrushers, 3 sets of 10-12
bicep curls, 4 sets 10-12 (working these twice a week)

wednesday:
squat, 5 sets of 10-12
deadlift, 3 sets of 10-12
calf-raises, 3 sets to failure
reverse wristcurls, 2 sets to failure

friday:
shoulder press, 4 sets 10-12
bent-over rows, 4 sets 10-12
standing rows, 3 sets 10-12
biceps curl, 4 sets 10-12

i've been keeping it really simple postcycle, but my gains have stopped; i'm sitting at roughly 158lbs... and i'm thinking its my training... getting frustrated, keep in mind i'm an ectomorph

The Game

Awards
Hi there. I'm new to the forum here and just want to say hello. I'm originally from the BodyBuilding.com messageboards but I have recently moved on as I have been getting sick of some of the stuff that goes on there. I see a few people that I recognise from the BB.com boards, Yellow Jacket, Curt2go, Labrad, to name a few.

That being said. I have recently redone my entire workout program and I am pretty satisfied with it but there is an issue for me that I have not settled. Now for hyperthropy the rest time between sets is said to be 60 seconds. But what I am wondering about is does this apply to the time between excercises as well. For example:

(Chest)
*60 seconds rest*
*60 seconds rest*

*60 seconds rest*

(Triceps)

*60 seconds rest*

--------------------

Thank you for your help.
I usually do a minute in between sets, and somewhere around 2 minutes between exercises.

My only suggestion for you is, besides what YJ suggested by adding another exercise to your chest routine, is to have some sort of dumbell movement in there as well.

For example, one day do dumbell press and barbell incline press, and then next chest day do barbell press and dumbell incline press. I feel, for my body at least, that the dumbell motion really hits deep into the chest, and spurs the most growth.