Static stretching bad?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
it can lower power output so do it after a workout. other then that its not bad at all. its just another tool in your toolbox.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Agreed with above statement. In addition, full Rom resistance training can be an effective method to enhance active range flexibility itself. I also don't think there have been too many studies showing a strong correlation between ss and reduced injury rates

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed with above statement. In addition, full Rom resistance training can be an effective method to enhance active range flexibility itself. I also don't think there have been too many studies showing a strong correlation between ss and reduced injury rates
That, and incorrect stretching or imbalanced stretch program can lead to lax joints and increase risk of injury.

Br

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree that static stretching should be good for prevention of injury or even if your are injured. But overall I would would say dynamic or plyometric warm ups would be the best
No scientific evidence exists that static stretching leads to a decrease in injuries.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Studies published in both the British Medical Journal(1999) and the Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine(2002)have found that static stretching has NO statistically significant effect on reducing muscle soreness or injuries.

A 2008 study of over 1,000 soldiers had half stretch and half not stretch found no difference in the frequency of injuries.
Repeating something over and over doesn't make it correct.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I understand we're ur coming from but your information is based on the general world of exercising...I am referring to athletic performance. Studies have shown reduce of injury for players and athletes that have type two muscle fibers versus those that have type 1.. But u have points....
Can you please reference these? What type of injury during what type of exercise in what type of athletes??

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Can you please reference these? What type of injury during what type of exercise in what type of athletes??
Would you agree that static stretching is important for those with imbalances like internal humerus rotation, protracted shoulders, lordosis, etc.?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Would you agree that static stretching is important for those with imbalances like internal humerus rotation, protracted shoulders, lordosis, etc.?
Absolutely. Static stretching is very useful in correcting/preventing muscular imbalances and improving sport specific flexibility.

Does static acute stretching prevent or reduce the risk of injury....despite what the populus may believe, it doesn't appear to.

Br

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Since static stretching is used to prevent muscle imbalances, could you say that it could prevent injury? I mean muscle imbalances, if treated properly could leans to a future injury. But I also believe that dynamic and static could go hand in hand together..
Yes, chronic static stretching can reduce the risk of injuries. A static stretching routine prescribed to help correct flexibility deficiencies or imbalances over time will improve mobility and movement, and reduce the risk of injury. Dynamic stretching is good as an acute way to reduce injury risk, as it both increases muscle temperature/blood flow and works to activate the muscles.

Br

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Yes, chronic static stretching can reduce the risk of injuries. A static stretching routine prescribed to help correct flexibility deficiencies or imbalances over time will improve mobility and movement, and reduce the risk of injury. Dynamic stretching is good as an acute way to reduce injury risk, as it both increases muscle temperature/blood flow and works to activate the muscles.

Br
What would you say about something like this?

Pre-workout: Dynamic stretching, workout, post workout: static stretching? Or would you say it'd be better to do dynamic stretching on a separate day?

Thanks.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What would you say about something like this?

Pre-workout: Dynamic stretching, workout, post workout: static stretching? Or would you say it'd be better to do dynamic stretching on a separate day?

Thanks.
That's about what I do.

Warm up with dynamic stretching and mobility drills.
Workout
Static stretching

You can even work needed static stretching into the workout. For example, I work hip flexor stretches into my lower body workouts. I'll also put hip opening movements into my upper body workouts, or both as part of a core and fixator circuit at the end.

Br

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To clarify I wasn't trying to say that static stretching had no positive uses or applications. Merely that the idea that static stretching reduces injuries or lessens DOMS isn't backed up by any scientific research which still no one in this thread has challenged. I'm not against static stretching by any means (though I think it's misused pretty much all the time), but the if the idea is you're decreasing your risk of injury by bending over and trying to touch your toes you're mistaken.