Reps

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
more then one. less then all of the reps.

i have seen people grow with as few as 5 reps and as many as 20 rep sets. with a total of 25 reps a week upwards of 250+ reps per week. what you need take into account along side of reps is intensity and frequency. throw in sleep (quality and quantity) and food intake and IMO you have a loaded question.

here is a link from another thread on here:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/191315-muscle-fiber-activation.html

here is an image of a chart that explains the various rep ranges and what they do:
http://homeworkoutblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/how-many-reps-to-build-muscle.jpg

and to confuse you even more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_hypertrophy#Myofibrillar_vs._Sarcoplasmic_hypertrophy_controversy

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
my 2cents, pick a rep range! what ever you want, im assuming size is what your after, so for arguments sake Pick your favorite number between 5 and 12 :) Then each week try and get progressively stronger in that rep range.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
In addition to what has already been said, muscle fiber composition has a lot to do with it (I believe that's what the link in the first response discusses) but regardless of which rep range you choose, you need to make sure you're eating to gain size.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
I really don't know what the proper rep range is.

When I started lifting, 30 years ago - I did three sets of ten and, I grew pretty good.

Then I went up to five sets of ten - and I grew pretty good.

Then I switched to light / heavy days looking for 12-15 reps on light days and 8-10 on heavy days. I grew pretty good.

Then I went all heavy - and did 4 sets of 6-8. Grew pretty good.

Tried Dog Crapping the sets - Grew pretty good.

Now I'm doing 5 X 5 ... and I'm growing pretty good.

Soooo ... what the hell? In all these - I grew pretty good, but ended up on a plateau so I switched to something else.

The one thing I can tell you though - is that DEADLIFT AND SQUAT grow everything. They will transform your body if you do them as heavy as you can with proper form. I'm not saying you should do them though - they won't help you get women unless the women you're seeking are into men who look like Silverback Gorillas - which is what Deadlift and Squat do for you.

I don't give a **** though - cuz I like looking like a Silverback Gorilla! :p

dfcde6c362ceaf85e092122c5680a5e7.jpg

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
the lower rep ranges are for strength development, which translates to increased muscle size and power. However, without low body fat you won't have that "shredded look"
The higher rep ranges tear down the muscle fibers as well and build muscle. However, they do not give as much strength. They also increase blood flow to the muscles (a lot more than lower rep ranges do).
A healthy combination of both are necessary for any successful lifter.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No magic rep amount exists for mass, if it did all hypertrophy programs would be the same. At the same time hypertrophy can take place while doing heavy singles or lighter weights for 20 reps. The best idea is probably to do something different than you have been doing. If you've been going heavy and low reps for a few weeks, switch it up. The body adapts very quickly.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
No magic rep amount exists for mass, if it did all hypertrophy programs would be the same. At the same time hypertrophy can take place while doing heavy singles or lighter weights for 20 reps. The best idea is probably to do something different than you have been doing. If you've been going heavy and low reps for a few weeks, switch it up. The body adapts very quickly.
True enough.
The previous ten weeks of training I did all 4-6 reps and heavy weight.

For the next 5+ weeks I am doing all reps (10-15 reps). Good change of pace.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Somewhere between 1-15. I'm not being facetious, but you do have to account for the lift, phase, technical abilities, etc.