JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19625976/

Sodium bicarbonate ingestion and boxing performance.

AuthorsSiegler JC, et al. Show all Journal
J Strength Cond Res. 2010 Jan;24(1):103-8.

Affiliation
Department of Sport, Health and Exercise Science, University of Hull, Hull HU6 7RX, UK. [email protected]

Abstract
Boxing is a sport that consists of multiple high-intensity bouts separated by minimal recovery time and may benefit from a pre-exercise alkalotic state. The purpose of this study was to observe the ergogenic potential of sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) ingestion on boxing performance. Ten amateur boxers volunteered to participate in 2 competitive sparring bouts. The boxers were prematched for weight and boxing ability and consumed either 0.3 g.kg(-1) body weight (BW) of NaHCO3 (BICARB) or 0.045 g.kg(-1) BW of NaCl placebo (PLAC) mixed in diluted low calorie-flavored cordial. The sparring bouts consisted of four 3-minute rounds, each separated by 1-minute seated recovery. Blood acid-base (pH, bicarbonate [HCO3(-)], base excess [BE]), and performance (rates of perceived exertion [RPE], heart rate [HR] [HR(ave) and HR(max)], total punches landed successfully) profiles were analyzed before (where applicable) and after sparring. The results indicated a significant interaction effect for HCO3(-) (p < or = 0.001) and BE (p < 0.001), but not for pH (p = 0.48). Post hoc analysis revealed higher presparring HCO3(-) and BE for the BICARB condition, but no differences between the BICARB and PLAC conditions postsparring. There was a significant increase in punches landed during the BICARB condition (p < 0.001); however, no significant interaction effects for HRave (p = 0.15), HRmax (p = 0.32), or RPE (p = 0.38). The metabolic alkalosis induced by the NaHCO3 loading elevated before and after sparring blood buffering capacity. In practical application, the findings suggest that a standard NaHCO3 loading dose (0.3 g.kg(-1)) improves punch efficacy during 4 rounds of sparring performance.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
I've seen the study before, I believe it equate to taking 20 to 30g baking soda.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Try using a little baking soda in your sausage gravy. Just a pinch...

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Improved performance for 5 out of 7 subjects in a shuttle run test designed to emulate the most demanding aspects of a soccer match in my thesis study too.

And yes, the average dose was 22 g.

Br

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
I would assume it is the case but could you spread that throughout the day so as not to chug down 25g of it?

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
How well do you like diarhea? It's a common side effect.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would assume it is the case but could you spread that throughout the day so as not to chug down 25g of it?
I have seen chronic loading where they spread it out over the day for weeks.

To be effective you need to increase the pH of the blood. And to do that you need to be consuming upwards of 25g per day,

Br

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
That's what I was wondering. I didn't know if it had to be consumed within a certain time frame with regards to the sporting event. Thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The_Old_Guy Supplements 20
Supplements 7
Sourdough Supplements 46
EasyEJL Supplements 28
Wordz_Worf Supplements 5