gym blunders?

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
has anyone in here ever dropped weight on themselves?

I was in the gym the other day benching, and i was throwing around 225. i normally do this on my first set after 135 w/ups.

i can do 225 for about 18 or so and i was on rep 10,
I use a full grip, and i normally squeeze the sh_ _ out of the bar, but this time i was too relaxed thinking about other things when almost to lockout,

i DROPPED that bitch smooth on my chest. i didnt know what happened for a second or two.
i gained my composure and pressed it off my chest and racked it. I was ticked. it just slipped out of my friggin hands.
I dont normally use a spotter until i get to 300 or so.

i got back down underneath it and gripped it hard and pressed out 13 more then i was done.

it is hard to sleep on my stomach due to sternum issues.
it is getting better now that is has been a full week without a chest workout.

I am thinking though that any more injury than that could have been curtains for me.
If you think about the flat bench, you bring the weight directly over your KILL zone. head, mouth, NECK.
clean your grill out, all your teeth.

I guaruntee you if that weight had dropped 18in or so on my neck I WOULD BE DEAD.

Focus is Key!

sobering thoughts.

has anyone else shared my pain?

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
I dropped a 45lb plate on my foot. Split my big toenail in half, the whole thing was bloody, and purple from all the blood held underneath. The entire nail eventually fell off about 2 weeks later, exposing raw flesh which also hurt like a sonofabitch. Not quite as bad as yours, but I'm a lot more careful now.

Pirate

Awards
Yes, I was "That Kid" once. Well it actually wasn't my fault. I was doing deadlifts with three plates, so after I finished, my buddy started taking the plates off becuase he was gonna do a set of 135. So I'm talking to another one of my buddies when before I know it my friend is about to take off the last plate on the right side. He pulls off the last plate. Loud crash. I walk away. Oops.

I have also droped dumbells and tripped over various things. That'll happen...

-Pirate

Last edited:

.9mm

Awards
I dropped a 25 on my toes about 2 months ago. I can still feel a little pain down there if I move it the right way. I guess that will happen.

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
I've racked heavy dumbells "wrong" so that my finger got crushed on the metal racking part... Ouchie.

These things always get me to think about those guys who triain with just sandals on. With shoes on, dropping a weight is pretty bad. I'll post as soon as I personnally witness what it does to a bare foot... ;-)

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I dropped a 45lb plate on my foot. Split my big toenail in half, the whole thing was bloody, and purple from all the blood held underneath. The entire nail eventually fell off about 2 weeks later, exposing raw flesh which also hurt like a sonofabitch. Not quite as bad as yours, but I'm a lot more careful now.
I have done this.

The worse thing to ever happen was when I was benching 405, and it slipped from my grip crashing down on my chest. I don't wrap my thumb around the bar because I feel I get a better squeeze this way, I had a bruise on my entire chest for a month.

BigChuckles

Awards
I remember when I first tried to start working out. I was trying to bench 55 lbs. (that's the bar plus 5 on each side) I ended up not being able to get the bar back up and everybody was out of the gym. I was too embarrassed to even scream so I just sat in that position until someone walked in to pull it off. It was really embarrassing when he pulled it off with just one head making me look really silly.

I was doing shoulder presses on a faulty adjustable bench. When I hoisted the DBs over my head the pin just popped out and the bench went all the way down. Luckily i wasn't leaned all the way on the bench and I was able to keep myself from falling back. The gym owner saw it and rushed over to help. I made sure he got it fixed because he could have faced a lawsuit.

A few weeks later I was doing a warm up set on the leg press machine. I like to go really deep. This time I went deep and somehow the leg press machine got jammed and I was unable to push it up. It pinned me underneath it but I was able to get out.

The last two incidents occurred this past month.

cobra1414

Awards
I fell over backwards when warming up doing squats. Only had a measly 135 on the bar, decided I'd see how low I could go and try and get a really good stretch at the bottom. Sure enough I lost my balance and tipped over backwards.

Luckily nobody saw it cause it was friday night right before closing.

Pirate

Awards
I fell over backwards when warming up doing squats. Only had a measly 135 on the bar, decided I'd see how low I could go and try and get a really good stretch at the bottom. Sure enough I lost my balance and tipped over backwards.

Luckily nobody saw it cause it was friday night right before closing.
The gym is a funny place...

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I was doing shoulder presses on a faulty adjustable bench. When I hoisted the DBs over my head the pin just popped out and the bench went all the way down.
Sorry bro, but that made me LMAO

acecombact1

Awards
i was doing shoulder press with 75lb dumble at last rep i swinged my hand upbehind my head andi couldnt control the weight so i dropped it. i alsmost dislocated my shoulder ouch

GuardDog

GuardDog

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Kind of like SS...

I smashed my middle finger dropping a 100lb plate on it. The damn thing surpised me and hurt so bad so fast that I cussed like a sailor in front of everyone in the gym. I had to go to the hospital to have them drill a hole in the nail to relieve the pressure and put a cast on it. Lost the nail and couldn't work out until it healed. I walked around looking like I was flipping people off all the time.

littlemark

Awards
Doing leg press in an old style sled setup at my university gym years ago. Well the damn thing had a sliding back rest, which was held in place by a steel bar, which fit into notches along the floor. You can guess what happened. Slammed up a rep too fast, jumped the seat back pin clean outta the floor, which led to 500 or so pounds crashing down at me. All I can say is thank God for the safety catches. I was stuck under it, guys had to peel off the plates to get me out, but it never got low enough to actually impact me. To this day I remember the feeling of 'OH ****' as I realized it was about to come crashing down.
Not a true blunder, but damn funny in retrospect.

Stingray

Awards
I was doing decline dumbell bechpress's a coulpla months ago. I was on my third set, when I leaned back and tried to press the dumbells, fatigue set in so instead of going up the left one was comming down. I almost smashed my face in with one of them. Could have been ugly

Billy the kid

Board Supporter
Awards
I scraped my shin the other day doing deadlifts. Its got a scab about the size of a penny. it still hurts. :(

I probably wont be working out at all for a couple of weeks till this sucker heals up completely. :(