Poll: Do you work Traps with Back or Shoulders?

Do you work Traps with Back or Shoulders?

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

1. Farmers walk is good for grip strength and ya Cormier loves to do shrugs facing an incline bench.

2. Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS
    Farmers walk is good for grip strength and ya Cormier loves to do shrugs facing an incline bench.
    have you tried shrugs that way? Im probably going to try that tonight. I have to look into farmers walk i cant recall it.
    •   

3. I tried em that way but it felt awkward, i think pulling a cable low then up to your neck with a bar will hit them the same way.

4. I don't train traps, just for traps, they get a work out with bent over rows, deadlifts, and I think that's enough, unless your traps don't grow, but seems they are one of the easy muscles to build up.

5. I see more votes for training traps on shoulder day but fewer responses as to why.

I'd like to know the rationale.

As for me, I believe traps like calves should be trained with more frequency than other muscles becuase of the short penate structure of the fibers. Weight X Distance

On the other hand, enough cant be said about the benefits of olympic style lifts and their effects on the traps.
    •   

6. Traps are retarded to train as a muscle group if you are working your back and shoulders our correctly. They should get worked with your deadlifts, rows, and military presses. No reason at all to do shrugs since it works 10% of that muscle anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MadJimF
    I don't train traps, just for traps, they get a work out with bent over rows, deadlifts, and I think that's enough, unless your traps don't grow, but seems they are one of the easy muscles to build up.

sorry didn't read yours until after I posted

7. I only work them once every two or three weeks, they tend to do well enough from all the other compound exercises.

8. It just depends on my split... I've worked them on back day, shoulder day, arm day, and "misc" day.

ManBeast
    -Saving random peoples' nuts, one pair at at time... PCT info:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/192992-pct-what-why.html
    -Are you really ready for a cycle? Read this link and be honest:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/191120-checklist-before-thinking.html
    *I am not a medical expert, my opinions are not professional, and I strongly suggest doing research of your own.*

9. I do mine with back , I shrug for my traps about 9 sets . I work up to about 7 plates on each side then work back down to 4 . And I promise theres not many people with traps like me. Besides pros.

10. I work traps with shoulders as well...to me they kinda go hand in hand

11. i work them on by back traps & shoulders day

12. I work traps on shoulder day plus my traps get worked out during deads

13. i sometimes dont do just trap exercises since i do heavy dead lifts

so i guess u could say back...but if i want to do a trap workout i'll do it on shoulder days

14. i train my traps with back and shoulders cause the only thing i do is shrugs but what i do is one day a go with dumbells and one day with the barbell

15. you hit them as secondaries on either workout day...after killing them doing back I never thought I'd get much of a workout with them on back day.

so, I vote with Shoulders

16. All of the above, with shoulders, with back, by themselves. It varies.

Traps are a back muscle, true, but that 15% ontop is heavily involved with the scapular elevation movements, which shoulder days excite more of. It's also the most prominent portion of the traps that are visible with "shirt on" or beater. The scapular retraction movements, which would be the remaining 75%, will excite your posterior traps to swell as if they're being worked, but not in that scapular elevation kind of way.

I personally prefer hitting my traps with a back day for the very reason that traps are involved in every other back exercise I perform, but they seem to get a deeper stimulation when I do traps on a shoulder day. Much more elevation going on and direction stimulation of the posterior traps.

17. I used to do them with shoulders and now do them with back. I do deadlifts on back day and get the workout for them there and then do shrugs. I tend to feel it more the next day when doing them with back. Plus I have been focusing so much on shoulders that they get beat up enough on their day and I don't have much energy afterwards.

18. I don't do any direct trap work either.. Deads, rack deads, do just fine.

19. If I hit traps directly it's on shoulder day.I feel my traps working more from raises then I do deads.My traps get pumped after my first set of front or side raises.Plus shoulder day for me is always quick.

20. Quote Originally Posted by shy-ron25 View Post
    i train my traps with back and shoulders cause the only thing i do is shrugs but what i do is one day a go with dumbells and one day with the barbell
    You should do behind the back shrugs as well.

21. Shoulders

Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

22. Screw shrugs...I do deadlifts for my traps.

23. I'm currently looking to overtrain my traps, so I train them 4x a week. As soon as I'll take my week off they'll grow. At least that's the idea.

24. I do my heavy shrug work after my squat/deadlift work (same day for me). If I want some higher volume then I may do them again later that week, light, with dumbbells or a machine just to get some blood in the muscles.

25. I just remebered reading markus ruhel saying he works his traps on their own day.He does them after cardio and says it takes him like 15 minutes.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. What day do you work traps?
    By imlee888 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-18-2016, 12:48 PM
  2. Traps - back or shoulder day??
    By StykFacE in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-30-2010, 10:02 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 12:28 PM
  4. Shrugs with Back or Shoulders?
    By hman85 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 03:57 PM
  5. Do you make decisions with your heart or your mind ?
    By Iron Warrior in forum General Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-19-2006, 09:50 PM