Poll: Do you work Traps with Back or Shoulders?

Do you work Traps with Back or Shoulders?

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.46%

Quote Originally Posted by sourinthemind
    Thank you...my sentiments also. I work with back becuase they are really part of the muscles that make up the back. Not to mention there is quite a bit of synergy when working lats/upper back and traps.
    I feel traps should be worked on back day or else you might just overtrain them. You could work them up to three times a week by using them on legs day through deadlifts, back day through any rowing movement, and again on shoulders day if you do them then. I would suggest doing them on back day and working them from top to bottom. The muscle does run from your first cirvical vertibrae all the way down to the 12th thoracic vertebrae. If you are training them right you wont just have the upper part but a solid mass of muscle running down the center of your back with a nice deep grove over your spine. The only other day to logically work them is on legs day just because you use them so much to do deadlifts. Also if you work them on back day you will effectly train the romboids major and minor, as well as the levator scapulae which all contribute to a full muscular looking back. The only reason i could think of for training them on shoulders day is that shoulder pressing elevates the scapula to allow more range of motion. The elevation of the scapula during shoulder press is somewhat similar to scapular elevation during upper trapezius flexion, but much shorter. I feel traps on back day are the way to go.

Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.27%

When I train my shoulders effectively I need to concentrate on NOT using my traps. SO I dont train them together. I train my traps with back and superset them at the end of my work out.
  3. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.24%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I do medium heavy barbell shrugs....my traps blow up with just that on shoulder day...one of the few good genetics i have.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.06%

Shoulders
  5. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.21%

I train back and shoulders on the same day so traps get trained that day as well.
  6. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I usually do them to finish off a back day, uprights and shrugs. But if my back day takes me to the 1.5 hr limit in the gym or im dead tired, I will do them on a day on its own with abs or cardio or shoulders. I rarely work shoulders separately now I feel I can hit them on chest and back days. Im actually considering doing shrugs 2x a week as they are lagging a lil. Finally, I get a better pump when i hit them at the end of a back workout.

I like what bronx220 said earlier:"the trapezius is a broad diamond shaped musclethat lies across your back. only 15% lies above your shoulder.soooooo since traps are a back muscle........."
  7. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.21%

I train em rest pause style now hitting failure 3 times, and then a do a static rep for 30 seconds, we'll see how this works out, my traps need to come up, well my upper traps anyway, my back always grows thick n dense fast.
  8. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS
    I train em rest pause style now hitting failure 3 times, and then a do a static rep for 30 seconds, we'll see how this works out, my traps need to come up, well my upper traps anyway, my back always grows thick n dense fast.
    same here as far as trap development. I need to bring up the upper traps, one of my friends were messing with me the other day and told me i need to work on my traps(upper) cause he said i dont want it to be a shelf do i? needless to say this motivates me.
  9. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.21%

Behind the back barbell shrugs are my favourite, i don't like them to the front, and dumbbell shrugs but pulling them up and back at the same time so kinda on an angle.
  10. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%

Behind the back barbell shrugs are my favourite, i don't like them to the front, and dumbbell shrugs but pulling them up and back at the same time so kinda on an angle.
    yah those are good and i feel it takes the arms out of it even more when you have the barbel in the rear dumbells the angle thing is what i shoot for too, i have yet to lay on a incline bench reverse and trying db shrugs that way, i heard it works great. Nothing like some heavy ass shrugs....its how i hit my forearms/grip too, just holding the bar tight is a workout for them.
  11. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.21%

Farmers walk is good for grip strength and ya Cormier loves to do shrugs facing an incline bench.
  12. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%

Farmers walk is good for grip strength and ya Cormier loves to do shrugs facing an incline bench.
    have you tried shrugs that way? Im probably going to try that tonight. I have to look into farmers walk i cant recall it.
  13. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.21%

I tried em that way but it felt awkward, i think pulling a cable low then up to your neck with a bar will hit them the same way.
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.19%

I don't train traps, just for traps, they get a work out with bent over rows, deadlifts, and I think that's enough, unless your traps don't grow, but seems they are one of the easy muscles to build up.
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.74%

I see more votes for training traps on shoulder day but fewer responses as to why.

I'd like to know the rationale.

As for me, I believe traps like calves should be trained with more frequency than other muscles becuase of the short penate structure of the fibers. Weight X Distance

On the other hand, enough cant be said about the benefits of olympic style lifts and their effects on the traps.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  222 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.26%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Traps are retarded to train as a muscle group if you are working your back and shoulders our correctly. They should get worked with your deadlifts, rows, and military presses. No reason at all to do shrugs since it works 10% of that muscle anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MadJimF
    I don't train traps, just for traps, they get a work out with bent over rows, deadlifts, and I think that's enough, unless your traps don't grow, but seems they are one of the easy muscles to build up.

sorry didn't read yours until after I posted
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.84%

I only work them once every two or three weeks, they tend to do well enough from all the other compound exercises.
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  XXX lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.07%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

It just depends on my split... I've worked them on back day, shoulder day, arm day, and "misc" day.

ManBeast
    -Saving random peoples' nuts, one pair at at time... PCT info:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/192992-pct-what-why.html
    -Are you really ready for a cycle? Read this link and be honest:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/191120-checklist-before-thinking.html
    *I am not a medical expert, my opinions are not professional, and I strongly suggest doing research of your own.*
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.74%

I do mine with back , I shrug for my traps about 9 sets . I work up to about 7 plates on each side then work back down to 4 . And I promise theres not many people with traps like me. Besides pros.
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.5%

I work traps with shoulders as well...to me they kinda go hand in hand
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.09%

i work them on by back traps & shoulders day
  22. Controlled Labs Board Rep
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.52%

I work traps on shoulder day plus my traps get worked out during deads
  23. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.81%

i sometimes dont do just trap exercises since i do heavy dead lifts

so i guess u could say back...but if i want to do a trap workout i'll do it on shoulder days
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.33%

i train my traps with back and shoulders cause the only thing i do is shrugs but what i do is one day a go with dumbells and one day with the barbell
  25. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.07%

you hit them as secondaries on either workout day...after killing them doing back I never thought I'd get much of a workout with them on back day.

so, I vote with Shoulders
  26. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.37%

All of the above, with shoulders, with back, by themselves. It varies.

Traps are a back muscle, true, but that 15% ontop is heavily involved with the scapular elevation movements, which shoulder days excite more of. It's also the most prominent portion of the traps that are visible with "shirt on" or beater. The scapular retraction movements, which would be the remaining 75%, will excite your posterior traps to swell as if they're being worked, but not in that scapular elevation kind of way.

I personally prefer hitting my traps with a back day for the very reason that traps are involved in every other back exercise I perform, but they seem to get a deeper stimulation when I do traps on a shoulder day. Much more elevation going on and direction stimulation of the posterior traps.
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.29%

I used to do them with shoulders and now do them with back. I do deadlifts on back day and get the workout for them there and then do shrugs. I tend to feel it more the next day when doing them with back. Plus I have been focusing so much on shoulders that they get beat up enough on their day and I don't have much energy afterwards.
  28. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.35%

I don't do any direct trap work either.. Deads, rack deads, do just fine.
  29. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.81%

If I hit traps directly it's on shoulder day.I feel my traps working more from raises then I do deads.My traps get pumped after my first set of front or side raises.Plus shoulder day for me is always quick.
  30. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.81%

Quote Originally Posted by shy-ron25 View Post
    i train my traps with back and shoulders cause the only thing i do is shrugs but what i do is one day a go with dumbells and one day with the barbell
    You should do behind the back shrugs as well.
  31. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.65%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Shoulders

Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

32. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.98%

Screw shrugs...I do deadlifts for my traps.
  33. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.33%

I'm currently looking to overtrain my traps, so I train them 4x a week. As soon as I'll take my week off they'll grow. At least that's the idea.
  34. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  275 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.55%

I do my heavy shrug work after my squat/deadlift work (same day for me). If I want some higher volume then I may do them again later that week, light, with dumbbells or a machine just to get some blood in the muscles.
  35. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.81%

I just remebered reading markus ruhel saying he works his traps on their own day.He does them after cardio and says it takes him like 15 minutes.
  36. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  174 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.2%

Quote Originally Posted by handzilla View Post
    Do you work Traps with, Back or Shoulders and why?
    I voted for back workouts, But I think it comes down to preference. Although, I think over head presses (or inclines) work traps I do my shoulders on arm day and itís just too long to work traps, too. Since deadlifts also work traps, I work them on back days when I donít deadlift.
  37. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.81%

I quit doing shrugs all together.I started looking into how you worked those things on your shoulders when I started to notice them comming in(clue #1).I have just noticed my traps getting bigger for the second time without doing any direct work for them(clue #2).I see guys in the gym who do atleast three different types of shrugs quite often,and mine are either better,or if they're above me in bb'ing,just as good(clue #3).I hear so many,I think most pro's actually,saying they do no direct work for their traps.(clue #4)
  38. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.42%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i do traps on shoulder days because i do more exercises for back than shoulders
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. -Rippetoe
  39. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

I used to work my Traps with my back, and began to notice that my Shoulder workouts were suffering from something even with ample rest time. So I experimented with moving Traps to Shoulder day, and my Shoulders bagan to benifit from the move, been doing them on Shoulder day since.
  40. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.5%

When I do shrugs, they're on my shoulders days. I finish a set of hang cleans, drop it for a second, switch grip and do whatever weight I was doing on hang cleans for 20 reps.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Traps - back or shoulder day??
    By StykFacE in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-30-2010, 11:02 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 01:28 PM
  3. Shrugs with Back or Shoulders?
    By hman85 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 04:57 PM
  4. Do you make decisions with your heart or your mind ?
    By Iron Warrior in forum General Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-19-2006, 10:50 PM
  5. Do you perfer to frontload test or use dbol?
    By JBlaze in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-08-2003, 12:16 PM