2 Questions on Splits & Body Types

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
So I'm curios as to when people first started lifting what splits brought them the best gains, because I'm sure the typical 1 muscle a day routine isn't the quickest way for packing on size.

Question #2 which routine/rep ranges work best for different body types: Ecto, Endo, Mesmo?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
what split will work best for a person also depends on the intensity and volume done as well as their lifting age.

if you only look at splits you dont get the entire picture therefore you will never know which is better.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
what split will work best for a person also depends on the intensity and volume done as well as their lifting age.

if you only look at splits you dont get the entire picture therefore you will never know which is better.
Ok, I'm just looking for some1 to elaborate on what rep/ranges work for different body types and what they have found that works for them personally.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Powerlifting for me, 4 days a week, endo/meso.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok, I'm just looking for some1 to elaborate on what rep/ranges work for different body types and what they have found that works for them personally.
Somatotypes (ecto etc.) really has little to do with what rep ranges are going to work best. The work may need to be reduced for people who are inexeperienced and/or have really fast metabolisms.

You can get a muscle biopsy done to determine whether you have a preponderance of type 1 or type 2 fibers, and then plan around that. Or you can do a few 80% 1rm tests to estimate the value.

But what is really going to build muscle and strength is progressive overload, consistency, and some good programming.

Br

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Somatotypes (ecto etc.) really has little to do with what rep ranges are going to work best. The work may need to be reduced for people who are inexeperienced and/or have really fast metabolisms.

You can get a muscle biopsy done to determine whether you have a preponderance of type 1 or type 2 fibers, and then plan around that. Or you can do a few 80% 1rm tests to estimate the value.

But what is really going to build muscle and strength is progressive overload, consistency, and some good programming.

Br
Beat me to it. Your body type doesn't affect what set/rep ranges benefit you the best, it only determines how a diet will affect you, and that's only vaguely. For instance, I used to think I was endo, which for many means little food = tons of fat gain, but as it turns out I can eat a decent load of food so long as it's not starch and not get fat. I'm probably just a meso with poor insulin sensitivity, lol, though I don't hold on to muscle easily (I gain it fast, lose it fast).

As Zir also said, muscle fiber type will largely determine what set/rep ranges work best for you. So that's something you'll have to play around with to figure out what's best for you.

I responded very well to 3-4 sets of 6 reps per exercise, with 3-4 exercises per body part max a day. Even though I followed a bodypart split I still designed my workouts by movements, so I worked all 3 big movements at least twice a week (one day per body part, 2 leg days, assistance exercises often hit some parts even more frequently). I do respond to 20 rep squats very well, though.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Beat me to it. Your body type doesn't affect what set/rep ranges benefit you the best, it only determines how a diet will affect you, and that's only vaguely. For instance, I used to think I was endo, which for many means little food = tons of fat gain, but as it turns out I can eat a decent load of food so long as it's not starch and not get fat. I'm probably just a meso with poor insulin sensitivity, lol, though I don't hold on to muscle easily (I gain it fast, lose it fast).

As Zir also said, muscle fiber type will largely determine what set/rep ranges work best for you. So that's something you'll have to play around with to figure out what's best for you.

I responded very well to 3-4 sets of 6 reps per exercise, with 3-4 exercises per body part max a day. Even though I followed a bodypart split I still designed my workouts by movements, so I worked all 3 big movements at least twice a week (one day per body part, 2 leg days, assistance exercises often hit some parts even more frequently). I do respond to 20 rep squats very well, though.
Yeah having trouble figuring out what body type u r is a bit challenging.
I think I might be the same way as u...