winged scapula now what? - AnabolicMinds.com

winged scapula now what?

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

So I have diagnosed my self with a winged scapula. Im making an appointment with the doc to get a referal to who ever can help me. But originally I was informed to do exercises like face pulls n rear delt strengthening moves. Honestly I feel like its worse. Recently I've been told to strengthen the saratus anterior which is like the opposite of what I was originally doing!!! :0
    So its only on one side so do u guys think its more nerve related? If so then now what. Should I try to strengthen the seratus anterior or hold off till I see doc?

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

Unless we are using different terms, a winged scap is the result of weak scapula retractors or relatively weak compared to your protractors. Your rhomboids, mid and low traps should be your focus. If anything, you probably have overly tight serratus and pec minor, which is a pretty common issue. Correcting it will take time so be patient
  3. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

You diagnosed yourself? Are you an M.D.?
    •   

4. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I just googled this. I think I may have the same thing. My shoulder blade always came out like that on my left side and my shoulder exercises and flat bench have always been pretty weak. Never had any pain associated with it though. Maybe I will ask my doctor about this next time I go. Sorry Hungry4more if I sounded rude.
  5. Diamond Member

I've had this for as long as I can remember. Since I was a kid I have been told I have poor posture. At least now I have something to blame it on.
  6. Diamond Member

Dang it!. Now this is all in my head. I wasn't even thinking about anything like this before.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

If your having pain in that area then you should try massage therapy.Get someone that is good at deep tissue massages.I had an area right beside my scapula that kept bothering me.Massage Therapy is the only thing that helped.Also I agree with you doing face pulls and any other scapular retraction movement.Seated rows will help too.Also look in to getting a foam roller.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone
    Dang it!. Now this is all in my head. I wasn't even thinking about anything like this before.
    I kno dude! I can't wait to finally get to a professional to see what's up..
  9. Diamond Member

Hungry guy check out this thread I just found,

scapula sticks out
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

Hungry guy check out this thread I just found,

scapula sticks out
    K thanks
  11. Diamond Member

I don't have any pain associated with it though. Not normally. I mean once in a while maybe. I have a hard time with seated front press for shoulders. When I use the machine for presses though I'm fine. In fact I have been making some great gains in strength on flat bench lately. I just went and looked in the mirror and it doesn't stick out as much as it used to. Haven't really thought about this in the past 10 years though.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2684151/

that research, in the abstract area talks about symptoms of medial and lateral winging. medial wining requires more work on the serratus while lateral requires more work on the rhomboids and lower traps.

i have only seen medial winging and with all the client i had during my 9yr career as a trainer that had medial winging, working on the serratus worked every time. lots of pushups, stiff arm pushups (also known as push up plus) and limited ROM dips was the bulk of the work.

i would say work all those muscles. my bench and squat has started going up since working my low traps and thomboids with lots of facepulls over the last few months. and i dont have any winging at all.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  255 lbs.

Same

I have it to you think As will help i have a weak muscle to im not on cycle yet but when I do It should help no?
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

Face pulls are great. Start slow n light.
  15. Diamond Member

I went to see the doctor and I do not have any winging at all. So now you all should learn from my mistake that self-diagnosing is a no-no!.
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

I went to see the doctor and I do not have any winging at all. So now you all should learn from my mistake that self-diagnosing is a no-no!.
    Idk I trust my own instincts more than a doc. He can't feel what u feel while u work out. If u still think there is something up see physical therapist they would kno what's up.
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.

Another thought most doctors are only trained to treat symptoms, with chemical based prescriptions. So when u go to the doc saying u have this problem, they ask is it causing u pain? If not they really aren't trained in how to help u. Some may refer u to chiropractor or pt while others will reason its not causing pain ATM so don't worry bout it..
  18. Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by hugry4more View Post
    Another thought most doctors are only trained to treat symptoms, with chemical based prescriptions. So when u go to the doc saying u have this problem, they ask is it causing u pain? If not they really aren't trained in how to help u. Some may refer u to chiropractor or pt while others will reason its not causing pain ATM so don't worry bout it..

My doctor is also a trainer chiropractor and he is very knowledgeable about sports injuries.

Similar Forum Threads

1. scapula sticks out
    By just93 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 05:58 PM
  2. IGF-1 for Winged Scapula
    By BrettFavor in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2007, 06:01 PM