Rep speed study, anyone have full text?

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I can only find the abstract, unfortunately I dont have subscriptions to any sports journals. I am just wondering if this study equated TUT and Intensity between the groups.

The effects of eccentric and concentric t... [Eur J Appl Physiol. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

I couldnt understand all the numbers but did a search on it and basically they got 4 groups, 2 doing negatives and 2 doing positives, half doing explosive style(plyometrics) lifting and the other half seems to be regular rep speed.

I am guessing the load was <60%RM and the TUT was very different between the groups, but if it was a quality study things would of been equated and I would be very surprised at the results.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can get you nearly anything. Email me or PM your email and I will send it over.

Br

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I can get you nearly anything. Email me or PM your email and I will send it over.

Br
thats one of the sexiest things i have read on these forums..... no homo of course. lol

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Am I reading the abstract correctly? is it saying fast eccentric resulted in higher hypertrophy? Not sure what they were referring to when they say 180 degrees though.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Am I reading the abstract correctly? is it saying fast eccentric resulted in higher hypertrophy? Not sure what they were referring to when they say 180 degrees though.
I haven't read it yet...but fast eccentric movements recruit the greatest degree of type IIX fibers.

For example, on the bench press, using 90-110% of 1RM, have a partner lift it off for you. Then bring the weight down as fast as possible "catching" it about 1-2" off the rest. Have your partner raise the weight and repeat 3-6 times.

Br

ps: anyone who wants the article PM me

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
when you say catch it off the rest are you saying to drop 1-2" above your chest and catch it there.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Yes. If you want a better explanation, google search for the perfect rep. Click on the second link and follow the link in the first post. Should give you a good idea why and how. It's basically trying to produce the greatest amount of force at the point of the turn around from eccentric to concentric during a rep, which coincides with the position of the greatest stretch for the prime movers.

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
Yes. If you want a better explanation, google search for the perfect rep. Click on the second link and follow the link in the first post. Should give you a good idea why and how. It's basically trying to produce the greatest amount of force at the point of the turn around from eccentric to concentric during a rep, which coincides with the position of the greatest stretch for the prime movers.
Awesome and thanks for that.
I just wanted to make sure because I call the stops at the top the "rest" so when he said catch 1-2" off the rest I wasn't sure if it was a short quick drop that you stop

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty sure it was a typo on his part, because he explained the rest correctly I believe. You're welcome, glad I could help.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol, I actually didn't understand the numbers until I read the paper. So it's just indicating degrees per second. So if something is done at 180°s-1 that means they're moving at 180 degrees per second (fast); 30°s-1 would be 30 degrees per second (slow). The results kind of bother me, but the explanation in the discussion is real nice so I'll buy this info. I dont know if that means that's the way to go, but I think this makes a great case for some sort of fast eccentric training (which is what powerlifters do in their training [read: not meets]). I don't really think there was a TUT comparison between the 4 training styles (fast vs slow + ecc vs concentric) design but it looks like it worked out, anyways.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome and thanks for that.
I just wanted to make sure because I call the stops at the top the "rest" so when he said catch 1-2" off the rest I wasn't sure if it was a short quick drop that you stop
Yes, I meant the chest. Sorry. Our heat hasn't been working well the past few days and its affected my typing dramatically.

Br

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established

liljohn

Awards
I haven't read it yet...but fast eccentric movements recruit the greatest degree of type IIX fibers.

For example, on the bench press, using 90-110% of 1RM, have a partner lift it off for you. Then bring the weight down as fast as possible "catching" it about 1-2" off the rest. Have your partner raise the weight and repeat 3-6 times.

Br

ps: anyone who wants the article PM me
What were the 180 and 30 degrees referring to?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What were the 180 and 30 degrees referring to?

The speed of the repetition in degrees person. So, imagine you have your arm hanging at your side. You then raise it forward until it is directly over head. That is 180 degrees. Do that in 1 second and that refers to the fast movement. Next, take 6 seconds to complete the same motion. That is the slow rep.

Now, they using that speed in specific exercises...so imagine it applied to the knee during a leg extension.

Br