Military Press form

  1. Registered User
    ngen52's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    92
    Answers
    0

    Military Press form


    I've heard and seen it done different ways. Some people say to go all the way down and touch your chest, some say to only go to 90.

    Which way is more effective?

  2. Registered User
    SweetLou321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,484
    Answers
    0


    Do them standing with a bar as it allows a more natural plane to press from. And touch the chest. If using dps either seated or standing, I try to touch my shoulders
  3. Registered User
    bigdavid's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,272
    Answers
    0


    The main issue in whether you decide to touch your shoulders or go 90 degrees is that you pick one stick to it and increase the weight or reps each workout... if you have progression with either you will make gains. I personally prefer 90 degrees for shoulder pressed but will touch my chest for all chest exercises.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    ngen52's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    92
    Answers
    0


    Thank you! I'm a lot stronger at 90 but when I do standing presses I touch my chest
  5. Registered User
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,175
    Answers
    0


    better for what? for improving that movement in that range of motion? or increasing size? increasing strength?
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  6. Registered User
    ngen52's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    92
    Answers
    0


    More concerned with size at this point, strength is a close second right now tho
  7. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    Do them standing with a bar as it allows a more natural plane to press from. And touch the chest. If using dps either seated or standing, I try to touch my shoulders
    I agree with this except, I don't touch my chest. I usually hold the bar around throat level(arms at 90deg), as lower then that is putting my shoulder in a compromising position.

    The strict overhead press is an awesome movement that is really under utilized. IMO A good measure of upper body strength. You would be surprised how many people can't SOHP their own weight.
  8. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post

    The strict overhead press is an awesome movement that is really under utilized. IMO A good measure of upper body strength. You would be surprised how many people can't SOHP their own weight.
    ^^ Agreed.

    Here is a great video example: http://www.cathletics.com/exercises/...?exerciseID=90

    Notice the elbows point forward at the bottom of the ROM and the bar finished aligned with the feet (i.e.: elbows are in line with or behind ears).

    br

    Br
  9. Registered User
    SweetLou321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,484
    Answers
    0


    Ok lemme correct I rest on my collar bones, or touch there. But yes zir hit it on the head, once again.
  10. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    ^^ Agreed.

    Here is a great video example: http://www.cathletics.com/exercises/...?exerciseID=90

    Notice the elbows point forward at the bottom of the ROM and the bar finished aligned with the feet (i.e.: elbows are in line with or behind ears).

    br

    Br
    The only thing I don't like about that video is(and it could be just the angle it is shot at) is it looks like his wrist is extremely C0Cked. Try that with some real weight and you won't be a happy camper..lol

    I do them like this which is pretty similar to the posted video except keeping the wrist a bit more upright.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T3jg...6&feature=plcp
  11. Registered User
    VS91588's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    702
    Answers
    0


    If you are concerned with size than keep constant tension on the muscle. Don't lock out on the top and don't come all the way down to your upper chest. I personally bring the bar down to my chin area
  12. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Answers
    0


    I see what you mean. In the prior video he is starting as if he just finished a hang clean, and the bar is resting across his shoulders and the wrist does appear to break. In the video you posted the wrist is a bit more in line. Definetly something to consider.

    Br
  13. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED
    I see what you mean. In the prior video he is starting as if he just finished a hang clean, and the bar is resting across his shoulders and the wrist does appear to break. In the video you posted the wrist is a bit more in line. Definetly something to consider.

    Br
    Exactly. Might not be too bad if you are used to that sort of thing I just know my wrists would hate me. Lol even heavy squats kill them.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. military press records
    By DerickVonD in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2010, 08:47 PM
  2. How is my military press?
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-03-2009, 07:11 PM
  3. Another Military Press Question
    By Emerge in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-03-2008, 01:53 AM
  4. How far do you go down on military press?
    By Rugger in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 03:33 PM
  5. Military Press
    By koi1214 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 08:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in