5x5 Training

ngen52

Awards
Stronglifts says you can only train 3 days a week with just 5x5 of bench/squat/barbell row. Now, what if I were to perform these with agility work (mandatory for football being bands and plio) then go to the gym and train chest without bench or legs without squats? Or should I just suck it up and power through my workouts before/after agility at my field house?

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
You dont have to do the workout MWF you could always do something like Sunday/Tues/Thurs if it fits in your schedule better..what days and times are your practices? You could also split up the workouts so you do your practices one part of the day and the 5x5 workouts hours later to allow some recovery in between.

ngen52

Awards
I don't really wanna do 5x5. But we have agility mwf 3-430

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
maybe I misinterpreted your post arent you saying you want to combine the stronglifts 5x5 with your workouts from practice?

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I don't really wanna do 5x5. But we have agility mwf 3-430
Then just do the agility work.
5x5 will help you handle more weight. Your plyo will help you get more explosive and faster. Two things football players need to be.
Look up crossfitfootball if you want to combine football with weights. :)

ngen52

Awards
I was seeing what the most effective way to lift with the added agility to my workouts

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I was seeing what the most effective way to lift with the added agility to my workouts
then cross fit fooball will be great ;)

Usually though... strong lifts is used for strength. So recovery will be key, if your other workouts are too taxing the stronglifts may have to be modified to take that into consideration. Jim Wendler has a book 5/3/1 for football players or something you might want to check out. But for free info and stuff just use Cross Fit Foot Ball. They have programming worked and say what workout to follow if you are in season/off

ngen52

Awards
I'm more concerned with getting as big as possible than anything