Football Training Conflict

ngen52

Awards
I'm a football player and an required to workout at the school Monday Wednesday and Friday. The catch being that on all 3 days we have to do agility work (running with bands, box jumps, etc). I'm still trying to bulk up and maximize my lifts but these interrupt them.

What body parts should I work on these three days for maximum size/strength benefit?

mrswe24

Awards
I got the same problem at my schooI. I recently started 5x5 training from strong lifts.com. They've reported to add size and strength from just a 3day program. Also check the 5/3/1 program.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I see a few options at least:

1) Lift in the A.M./P.M. (AM if your required conditioning training is in the PM, or PM if your conditioning is in the AM);
2) Lift first, chug a protein shake with some sugary stuff (try 50g carbs and scale upwards as required) before doing conditioning, or;
3) Lift Tues/Thurs/Sat, or something of that sort.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like the 5/3/1 idea in conjunction with what torobestia suggested above.

As long as you are conditioned, the sprints, agility and plyometrics won't affect strength gains too much.

Br

ngen52

Awards
Other than the agility (plio, bands, etc.) is there anything I should train?

ngen52

Awards
As in while I'm there.
Also, could I train the 5x5 method while at the football training then later in the night go do my real workouts and subtract bench/squat/rows?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Give me some more back ground info.

First of all, how old are you and what level are you playing (high school, college: D1,2,3, etc.)?
Next, what position(s) do you play? If more than one, what is your primary position?
What are your current stats:
Speed: 40 yard dash
Conditioning: 300 yard shuttle
Strength: Squat, Bench press, deadlift
Power: power/hang clean, vertical and broad jump
Agility: t-test

Next, what your team workouts? Tell me everything, days, exercises, etc. Both agility, speed, plyo, and weights.

Then, we can start to determine what you need to work on.

Br

ngen52

Awards
I'm 17, high school football player.
I'm primarily a guard but I play linebacker (5'9 196) . I run a 4.9 40, we don't 300 yard shuffle. Bench: 315 (or 250x6-8) Squat 375 (315 6-10 times. Power clean: 235 . We haven't done the other tests but I would rate my "hops" as decent.

Our team agility, we run with bands around our waists, do box jumps low to high high to low, left right front, we do ladders, and when we band we either remain in place or go cone to cone. That training is MWf from 3-430 I do my own lifts and my split has: chest/back/shoulders/off/legs/arms/off.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First, impressive numbers.

How long does this off season agility and conditioning continue for?

I would place your lower body training at the beginning of the week when you are fresh. Increasing lower body strength right now should be your main goal. Come the end of spring you can focus on increasing lower body power. In other words, work on getting your squat up (as the plyo's will help maintain or improve lower body power) then toward the end of spring focus more on the power clean.

Br

ngen52

Awards
Thanks :) and It continues in June. What type of split do you think I should run then? because my goal was to also do a posing comp this summer but I don't know how tangible that is

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Posing comp as in bodybuilding competition?

I would suggest Jim Wendlers 5/3/1. Its a solid program, it has conditioning built into it (which you can substitute your current agility work for) and you will gain some great strength if followed.

Br

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, although the process of cutting down for a bodybuilding show and trying to gain strength and improve performance do not go well together.

Br

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Getting larger (or smaller for that matter) is going to be largely dependent on your diet.

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
Its worth the price

He also has a 5/3/1 for football book
Yup thats what i was going to suggest, I dont play football but was a great read none the less!!

ngen52

Awards
Yeah, I really don't like any of the assistance work tho! He posted a bodybuilding one which is much better I think.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dont like the assistence work? Sheesh the man is much smarter then you. Are you training for bbing or football? Also I did 5/3/1 for a year and I NEVER did the bodybuilding split only the ones for strength and gained about 15-20lbs, added a lot to my totals, and ended up bigger then I ever did doing bbing type work.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Dont like the assistence work? Sheesh the man is much smarter then you. Are you training for bbing or football? Also I did 5/3/1 for a year and I NEVER did the bodybuilding split only the ones for strength and gained about 15-20lbs, added a lot to my totals, and ended up bigger then I ever did doing bbing type work.
lol. nice. i like this one.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I couldn't have said it better my self.

Br

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im going to be printing the 5/3/1 for football this week to give it a read through. Looking to implement it soon myself. I dont play football but since I want a career working with athletes I figured it was a smart move to put myself through some football training.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Im going to be printing the 5/3/1 for football this week to give it a read through. Looking to implement it soon myself. I dont play football but since I want a career working with athletes I figured it was a smart move to put myself through some football training.
Smart move

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Smart move
Yup thats what I thought too ;)

Only problem is I don't know what drills and what not. Was looking around for local teams to try and join up and go through a training camp with them, only problem is I most likely suck so prolly wont make the team! lol.. But figured I would give it a shot and see and if anything there is always youtube to get ideas from. I flipped through the 5/3/1 for football book and I didnt notice much on specific football drills so if I cant find a team or dont make a team then will just use youtube I guess

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yup thats what I thought too ;)

Only problem is I don't know what drills and what not. Was looking around for local teams to try and join up and go through a training camp with them, only problem is I most likely suck so prolly wont make the team! lol.. But figured I would give it a shot and see and if anything there is always youtube to get ideas from. I flipped through the 5/3/1 for football book and I didnt notice much on specific football drills so if I cant find a team or dont make a team then will just use youtube I guess
Pretty sure if you have good strength and a good 40 yard time you can walk on to my uni's football team, lol. And there's an idea, too, checking out college football teams in your area. And I think you can spectate with no ID?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pretty sure if you have good strength and a good 40 yard time you can walk on to my uni's football team, lol. And there's an idea, too, checking out college football teams in your area. And I think you can spectate with no ID?
Whats a good 40 yard time? And most likely I would have to be a student to join a schools team, although I have thought about checking some youth teams out and asking if they would let me volunteer and help.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd actually suggest working with a track team to learn to improve acceleration and speed. Strength coaching is about being able to break down movement patterns in order to implement agility and strenght exercises to improve performance on the field. Especially with football since it is such a highly specialized sport.

Br

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whats a good 40 yard time? And most likely I would have to be a student to join a schools team, although I have thought about checking some youth teams out and asking if they would let me volunteer and help.
Woops, I'm dumb. Totally forgot about the req. of being a student to play on a college team LOL. But I still think you can sit in and watch their practices. 4.5 40 appears competitive, sub 4.3 40 looks like they'd be looking at you playing first string.

Interesting comments by Zir Red. That may be another option

EDIT: actually I'm just tired right now and forgot the intent of my statement, which was just to say collegiate teams don't necessarily hold god-like athlete standards all across the board.