Forarm elbow strain

Big boy D

Big boy D

Awards
I hurt my forearm/elbow three weeks ago doing Olympic bar curls(158) so it is feeling well enuf now to do some light workouts. Can anyone tell me some good movements that will help loosen this area before I work out. Warm up? Anything that might help to prevent another injury.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
I think we'd be able to help out more if you described it a little better. Where is the pain located (lateral/medial elbow, forearm flexor/ extensor muscles, etc.) What kind of pain? and what kind of movements bother it?

As a generic start I would say make sure you take your elbow and wrist through a variety of motions in warm-up to ensure you increase temperature and help to lubricate the joint a little.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
I used to always have minor wrist/forearm problems here and there when performing straight bar curls. And I'm a believer of form over weight. I switched to the Ez-curl bars on the racks in my gym and I have no problems. Some ppl say u get more massive biceps doing straight bar curls; I personally do not see a difference and I did not lose size.

Big boy D

Big boy D

Awards
The pain is a combination of a pain between the out side of the elbow on the front side of the elbow. Hard to explain. Not the tender funny bone side. The pain on that side however feels like a funny bone pain. Longer lasting pain tho. The other pain is on the inside of the elbow running down the forearm when I would like lift a coffee even. I can do light curls now of 15, with a good amount of pain. Getting better every day. Also to grip something would shot pains in my forearm around the areas of pain in my elbow. I screwed up and pushed it to far. Stinks...

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Sounds like u went really really heavy on ur barbell curls and involved alot of ur forearms and put pressure on them. It has happened to me when I first started working out going extremely heavy on curls. Just gotta rest it and it will go away. But try the Ez-curl bars for barbell curls to reduce injury. And also don't use a crazy amount of weight. Rest only 45 seconds to 1 minute because biceps recooperate quick. You will deff have a crazy pump and an intense bicep workout.

Big boy D

Big boy D

Awards
Ya that's what I fig. I have been doing the dc style lifting. I love it. I added the straight bar curl to my routine. Something your not suppose to do. I already had a bicep workout. I know I shouldn't do the straight bar. I think I was looking at Arnold S doing them and got all pumped. It was a rookie move. I know better. Just sometimes. :) thanks bro.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Ya that's what I fig. I have been doing the dc style lifting. I love it. I added the straight bar curl to my routine. Something your not suppose to do. I already had a bicep workout. I know I shouldn't do the straight bar. I think I was looking at Arnold S doing them and got all pumped. It was a rookie move. I know better. Just sometimes. :) thanks bro.
There's nothing wrong w/ using the straight bar I was just saying to give the Ez-curl bar a try I personally like using it cuz it takes alot of strain off ur wrist and forearms IMO. Lmao yeah Arnold is deff great inspiration to go ape sh*t on your arms! You're welcome bro its deff not serious you just need to give the pain area a rest and IF you still want to workout do all ur curls w/ strict isolation just so you take the momentum and straign off your pain areas while it heals...

Spider curls
Preacher curls
Concentration curls

Google Arm Blaster. If you like Arnold you will deff like what it is. I have one

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's more of a soft tissue injury that can linger for awhile it it's not treated properly. I had a similar injury and it lasted for a few months to where I had to stop doing any direct bicep work. However, I could still do back work with a false grip or straps.

Big boy D

Big boy D

Awards
Thanks guys. I am so in need of some weight lifting. Next week I am going to start out light. Ya I know about the arm blaster. Nice thing to have. I need to get my gym to buy one. Thanks again guys.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sounds like the common extensor tendon. As rodja said, its soft tissue and will take a while to heal.

spot-05-forearm-extensors-main-m.jpg

Lay off the biceps and anything that irritates it. Easier said than done, but the more you push through the pain the slower and more incomplete the recovery.

Big boy D

Big boy D

Awards
Yup thats the spot! So I have been three weeks now. It feels better but not healed. I am going to jump on some prop next week. Do you think that will help, or make it worst.

Big boy D

Big boy D

Awards
Yup thats the spot! So I have been three weeks now. It feels better but not healed. I am going to jump on some prop next week. Do you think that will help, or make it worst.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What you have is commonly referred to as tennis elbow, so go about treating it the same.

WRT to the prop. AAS causes your muscles to get stronger at a faster rate than your tendons/connective tissue. I would make sure it is fully healed before resuming any wrist extension or direct bicep work.

Br

Big boy D

Big boy D

Awards
Cool bro! What is WRT? I tried some bench at 135 yesterday. It felt good. I could have gone up to 225 easy. Didn't want to push it. That is the last time I do straight bar curls. I always use the easy bar, partly because of the pain it gives me in my forearm area. That damn Arnold S got me all pumped up for it. I knew better then and now I really know better. Thanks again.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WRT = with regard to.

Lift to the symptoms. If there's discomfort, dont do it.
Br