Best Substitute for Tate Press?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tate press is hard for me to do because the tendons around me elbow pop back and forth over it and it's quite discomforting. More so, I feel when it happens I have just a slight moment where my grip decreases and I worry that if I try and go up higher in weight tht could be an issue. Any suggestions as to what might be the best replacement for it?

Much obliged.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not familiar with JM Press. How is it done? I'm about to look it up on YouTube, but I know that whenever I do this I always find videos that do lifts slightly differently. Example I recently looked up split squat and got different methods lol.

I'm asking as the Tate press is part of the 5x5 routine that I've recently started.

Thanks for the help.

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Look up the westside video or dave tates video for the JM press. And its a mix of an extension and close grip bench press. So you lay flat with a close grip, index finger on the smooth. Hold the bar right over your chest/shoulders. Lower the bar till its about 5-6 inches above your chest in the straight line over your upper chest. The video will show it all.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Look up the westside video or dave tates video for the JM press. And its a mix of an extension and close grip bench press. So you lay flat with a close grip, index finger on the smooth. Hold the bar right over your chest/shoulders. Lower the bar till its about 5-6 inches above your chest in the straight line over your upper chest. The video will show it all.
Cool thanks.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gave these a try and doing them fully and correctly does the same to my elbow. If I do them a little more like a close grip bench then the actual Jim press then the elbow is fine. I'm going to keep working it as a warm up with light weights and see if maybe I just need to slowly strengthen my tendons. Next time I'm going to try the board press.