ZIR RED! more mobility issues

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
im come to realize, when it comes to exercise science, and physiology etc... you are probably the most knowlegable and helpful guy on AM. Let me first say thank you for so freely helping myself and others.

now to the hard ****

i have a few problems.... first, that squat... upon working on getting my hips opened up with those exercises, and proper warming up... ive discovered my hip mobility is ****... as im typing this pm i just realised i should make this into a thread so maybe other people with the same problem can use the information to apply to themselves.

its an anterior pelvic tilt, and i dont know what is causing it.... my erectors dont "feel" tight, and i dont think its a flexibility issue because i can put both hands flat on the foor while stretching

i also dont think its an abdominal issue, i can do planks with my pelvis tucked, tight posture, with quite a few plates on my back, weighted leg lifts, reverse situps etc.... my abs i feel are where i am strongest to be honest

my best thinking was to address exactly what i just explained, tight erectors (foam rolling, stretching, activating my abs/hip flexors)

ill put up a picture today after my workout... and ZIR ill send an additonal pm your way about some other nonsense

thx again bro

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
hips2.jpg
hips.jpg

any suggestions? i feel impingement when i squat.... not fun

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Check this out for starters:

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/articles/corrective-methods-for-common-postural-deviations-the-anterior-pelvic-tilt/

Next, lets try to narrow down whether its tight iliopsoas complex or rectus femoris. Here's a simple test you can do.

Lie supine on a bench/bed (think physical therapists bed) without your feet/knees handing off. Bring your right knee toward your right shoulder. Does your left leg come up or left knee bend? If so, then the psoas is tight. Repeat on the right side.

Now, lie supine with your knees at the end of the bed such that your knee is bent and lower leg is hanging off. Perform the same thing. If your opposite leg comes off the bench, then your RF is tight.

For me, its tight RF that I am struggling to fix. And being a sprinter, this is really not good since the RF dominates my top end work and my knee drive fatigues fast.

Br

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Squat depth and extension with Olympic overhead press for Power...
Olympic overhead snatch with BB.
Thoracic and shoulder mobility?

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
My hip flexors are tight, and I'm getting impingement ... had physical therapy today he thinks my pelvis/hips won't allow me to squat below parallel if I have a heel... he basically told me to forget squatting close

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
My hip flexors are tight, and I'm getting impingement ... had physical therapy today he thinks my pelvis/hips won't allow me to squat below parallel if I have a heel... he basically told me to forget squatting close
I have same problem

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Did you do the thomas test to discern whether it was psoas or RF, or both causing the tightness?

The Pavel method of stretching - contract, release - may be needed to fatigue the hip flexors and get them to lengthen through stretching.

Br

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
Did you do the thomas test to discern whether it was psoas or RF, or both causing the tightness?

The Pavel method of stretching - contract, release - may be needed to fatigue the hip flexors and get them to lengthen through stretching.

Br
If I lay on my back on a trainers desk, with EITHER knee hugged to my chest, my opposite leg is nowhere near hanging @90 degrees..... it almost feels like I have a tight strap from my hip flexors down to my ankles

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok, so your RF is definetly tight. Try the Pavel Tsunaimi (sp?) technique of active release stretching. Here is a link to one of his videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbiKwYGM_VU

What about just lying on the floor and hugging the knee. Does your out stretched leg come up? If so, then the psoas is tight as well.

Br

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

This has helped me immensely over the years. You can use your fingers instead of the cane.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

This has helped me immensely over the years. You can use your fingers instead of the cane.
Oh, major painful....but so good.

I find it easier to locate the psoas if I'm in the shallow end of the pool.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so your RF is definetly tight. Try the Pavel Tsunaimi (sp?) technique of active release stretching. Here is a link to one of his videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbiKwYGM_VU

What about just lying on the floor and hugging the knee. Does your out stretched leg come up? If so, then the psoas is tight as well.

Br
Yea they both do it

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea they both do it
Ok, so it is both psoas and RF. The manual release technique rodja gave you above is good.

Also, when stretching the RF, attempt to contract it for 20-30 seconds to fatigue the muscle, then lengthen. Activate, fatigue, release, lengthen. Its not pleasant, but it will help.

Br