Punching Bag for Cardio? - AnabolicMinds.com

Punching Bag for Cardio?

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.

Punching Bag for Cardio?

Wondering if anybody else here uses a punching bag on cardio days? Well, for me, i find it excellent, i've been doing boxing for a while now, not sure how many people here use one, but it is focking great, ill do a 2-3 mile jog, then beat around on the bag for about 30-45 mins. I'll always do a "1,2" which is a jab and a cross, constantly for a minute or longer, depending on my condition, then rest for 30 seconds, then i do high intensity, which is pretty much squaring up with the bag, and doing powerful combos for 30-45 second non-stop, like upper-cut, cross, really any type of punch, just mix it up but hit it as hard as you can constantly, then a resting period of around 40-50 secs. Idk, just wanted to know if anybody, boxer or not, used a bag for exercise, and if you havn't, to inform you that it is great exercise!
    Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free.
    -Jim Morrison

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  176 lbs.

I like to smack a heavy bag on cardio days as well. I usually do like 20 1,2's and 20 2,1's maybe a few high kicks. In addition to squaring off to the bag I like to go for like thirty seconds of left, right, left, right....etc as fast and as hard as I can go.
  3. New Member

I have been doing it for over a year.. I have a friend who fought in tournaments all over the world and I myself one 3rd in the karate world championships.. But we have stayed away from the bags as of late and done more mitt work and doing 4 3 min rounds twice a week... U never really know how ur cardio is until u start boxing.. I thought I was good cause I could run on a treadmill like nothing until I started boxing and realized how out of cardio shape I was.. Also u tone up a lot which is a plus
    •   

4. New Member

heavy bag is awesome. My training partner and I will alternate 2min rounds back and fourth till we feel like were about to die. Usually doesnt take too many rounds. Hitting the bag is FAR different from any other cardio. Sometimes we also do what we call 30/30/30's 30 second light punches mostly jabs/straights. 30 seconds of rapid punching constantly hitting bag while circling the bag and then 30 seconds of nothing but power punches. A couple cycles of that and my heart is beating out of chest.
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation

yeah i never knew how hard it was to go 30 seconds of steady work let alone a minute...
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  170 lbs.

Yea I do heavy bag once in a while when am having a bad it goes like this

1min - bag work jabs/ crosses
    1min- jumping jacks
    1min- bag work
    1min - bw squats
    1min - bag work
    1min - push ups

I try to run that circuit for 3-5 times. I add needed rest like a min to drink water or jus catch my breath when needed
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  248 lbs.

I joined a muay thai gym last year, love doing an hour class. On my days i don't want to get on the treadmill at home, i have a heavy bag in my garage and a bas rutten cd that i use to work the bag.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy74 View Post
    I joined a muay thai gym last year, love doing an hour class. On my days i don't want to get on the treadmill at home, i have a heavy bag in my garage and a bas rutten cd that i use to work the bag.
    I wanted to start doing muay thai, but ive always loved boxing and works for me, also bas rutten is badass
    Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free.
    -Jim Morrison
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

It works for me. What I love about it is it's not boring unlike running on the treadmill. It's also a great way to release stress.
    If you march thirty LI with the same object, two-thirds of your army will arrive. --The Art of War by Sun Tzu Chapter VII: Maneuvering
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SunReborn View Post
    It works for me. What I love about it is it's not boring unlike running on the treadmill. It's also a great way to release stress.
    Exactly.
    -Jim Morrison
  11. Senior Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

big fan of the bag on cardio days! I would do 1 minute rounds. My fav
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.

I love the punching bag...

I miss it dearly. I used to do a circuit; I had a rope, a heavy bag, a speed bag and a mat.

The circuit was always 3 mins on the heavy bag, 3 mins on the speed bag, 2 mins jumping rope, 2 mins on abs. Rinse and repeat 3 times and bam, there's a half hour killer workout. The abs were the "rest" time.

Can't wait to get my own place to set this up in the garage, basement or something.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  13. Senior Member

Reputation Reputation

Yep! I Usually go 2 3 minute rounds at about 50 percent. Then go hard for 3 one minute rounds. Then two rounds of shadow boxing.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-21-2010, 08:34 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-31-2010, 07:36 PM
  3. Sucker Punching
    By sonofsteven in forum General Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 11-21-2009, 12:50 PM
  4. Punching Power/Speed Workout
    By MrBrightside in forum MMA
    Replies: 16