Bench Press instructions - AnabolicMinds.com

Bench Press instructions

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Answers

Bench Press instructions

I'm an older guy and I have had shoulder problems for years. Bench press in particular was very hard on my shoulders and had to stop benching, or had to ice my shoulder before and after each chest workout. Since I've seen this video, particularly the elbow correction, I am back to benching pain free flat, decline, and incline.

I understand this is a powerlifting technique, but if shoulders causing you pain, you may want to consider this instead of flaring the elbows out.

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Answers

This is right, also not pressing over your face in a J motion will minimize shoulder rotation, also stronger triceps will make the right muscles fire first and again reduct shoulder pain. Oh and having a strong upper back to keep the shoulders pinched so they dont flare.

3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.
    Answers

Nice link .. I been doing the elbow correction/lower elbow position for a few years .. Made a big difference for my shoulders .. I feel like it utilizes the pec more and takes the shoulder out of it ..

•   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Answers

The owner of my gym is an ex bodybuilder and taught me to do alot of the stuff in the video. Pulling back your scapula and not flaring your elbows makes a big difference.
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html

5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Answers

I found a good while ago that doing decline BB instead of flat or incline has left my shoulders pain free. They dirt hurt for a couple years before I figured it out.
    True story:

I give a f**K!!

6. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  223 lbs.
    Answers

Y's, T's, and I's along with internal and external rotations go a long way to stabilize the shoulder as a whole, reduce pain, and increase strength. Shoulder dislocates are my favorite movement to increase flexibility and reduce pain. Lastly self myofascial release with a lacrosse ball, tennis ball, raquet ball, or a Thera Cane is another essential element to maintain tissue health, and press pain free. I use all three and went from being able to press 185 in a ton of pain, to pressing 300 virtually pain free.

7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  202 lbs.
    Answers

Smitty Diesel easily gave me 20lbs more on bench with his videos. He is a brilliant lifter.

8. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fadi View Post
    I'm an older guy and I have had shoulder problems for years. Bench press in particular was very hard on my shoulders and had to stop benching, or had to ice my shoulder before and after each chest workout. Since I've seen this video, particularly the elbow correction, I am back to benching pain free flat, decline, and incline.

I understand this is a powerlifting technique, but if shoulders causing you pain, you may want to consider this instead of flaring the elbows out.

Yeah, it's a real good video. And honestly it may seem very "power-lifter"ish but it truly is the correct way to bench press. It's Vince Gironda and fellows that popularized the guillotine-press style of bench press. And God knows Gironda must have hated humanity to have suggested half the movements he did, especially the elbows-flared-bench press.

9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Answers

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the guillotine press. Its a great movement for chest development if done correctly. Key word is correctly. You cant go as heavy, but it hits my chest very well, with not a bit of strain on my shoulder. The key is bringing the bar down to your chin and this usually keeps your elbows(humerus) parallel to the floor. A great trainer on another forum (Pinder)(former well known powerlifter) actually recommends the Guillotine press for chest development.

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Yeah, it's a real good video. And honestly it may seem very "power-lifter"ish but it truly is the correct way to bench press. It's Vince Gironda and fellows that popularized the guillotine-press style of bench press. And God knows Gironda must have hated humanity to have suggested half the movements he did, especially the elbows-flared-bench press.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. bench press
    By at1010 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-20-2009, 04:53 PM
  2. help with bench press?
    By craze123 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-21-2008, 08:08 PM
  3. MAX BENCH PRESS
    By Wolfe08 in forum Exercise Science