Any thoughts on SAIS Mass-Building Routine?

TheMaharaja

Awards
Edit: I cant post the link, but if you google 'SAIS Mass-Building Routine' it will pop up.

Basically, I think it incorporates a lot of 'common sense' about lifting but Ive been wanting to try some new stuff out.

Here is a sample lift: Chest and Biceps Day
Bench press (free weights, barbell) 3 sets 6 reps (fast-twitch white muscle fibers)
Incline press (free weights, barbell) 2 sets 10 reps (intermediate muscle fibers)
Vertical bench press (machine)1 set 20 reps (slow-twitch red muscle fibers)
Barbell curls (shoulder wide grip) 3 sets 6 reps (fast-twitch white muscle fibers)
Dumbbell curls (seated) 2 sets 10 reps (intermediate muscle fibers)
EZ-barbell curls (narrow grip)
1 set 20 reps (slow-twitch red muscle fibers)

basically, for the fast-twitch muscle fibers/heavy compound lifts, you do 3 sets of 6 reps, to failure. 5 minute break between each set. Author expects you to decrease weights slightly.

My concern: Will doing these exercises to failure be adverse to muscle growth? I want to do this for 6-8 weeks.

Weird thing: Dude doesnt have deadlifts on there for back, or wide grip pull ups...

Right now, I have a lot of time for resting and eating, so I'd rather put tris/bis/calves on their own day, for 5 days of lifting.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
It is an interesting concept, but my guess would be that it isn't directly aimed at muscle growth, I doubt there will be atrophy though.

ManBeast

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Would be better to determine what your dominant fiber type is (if any) then program around that.

Even better, use non linear periodization in your training design.

Br

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Would be better to determine what your dominant fiber type is (if any) then program around that.

Br
Ive never read a post of yours I havent learned from or I dont agree with.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
I agree with the non-linear approach. I feel you'd see better results by having a focus on each day as opposed to trying to hit each rep range each training session. As far as the training to failure each day, I'm not a huge fan and you'll certainly have to monitor yourself for signs of neural fatigue/ over training but it can certainly be done

TheMaharaja

Awards

Br
I am intrigued by this. I know i could search/google, but do you have any concise/good sources bookmarked? Thanks.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Both Dr Hatfield (Dr. Squat) and Charles Poloquin have tests.

Basically, you test for 1 RM of a movement - say, bench press.

Then, you use 80% of the 1 RM and do as many reps as you can. If you can do 7-9 reps then you are probably pretty evenly split for those muscle groups, if you do >6 then you are mainly fast twitch, or >9 mainly slow twitch.

Br

HALE J. (2006) Adapting your workout to suit your muscle fibre type. Brian Mackenzie's Successful Coaching, 37, p. 6-7
Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise:
May 2004 - Volume 36 - Issue 5 - p S205
Annual Meeting Abstracts: E-27 - Free Communication/Poster: Athletic Performance
[h=2]Non-Invasive Prediction of Muscular Fiber Type: An Alternative Instrument for the Coach[/h]
I'll have to look for more citations when I get some time.
Br

TheMaharaja

Awards
Both Dr Hatfield (Dr. Squat) and Charles Poloquin have tests.

Basically, you test for 1 RM of a movement - say, bench press.

Then, you use 80% of the 1 RM and do as many reps as you can. If you can do 7-9 reps then you are probably pretty evenly split for those muscle groups, if you do >6 then you are mainly fast twitch, or >9 mainly slow twitch.

Br

I'll have to look for more citations when I get some time.
Br
Hmm, very interesting. I will try this out and see what happens.