Altitude?

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I recently relocated from a city at sea level to a city with an elevation of 6,500 ft (1982m) and my last few workouts have been very rough. I was wondering if muscular strength was affected as much by elevation as cardio is? Or will the increased elevation increase my RBC count and I'll eventually feel a small boost in strength as my body compensates?

I only felt like I was training at about 85% of what I usually do. Is this within a normal range?

I definitely notice the difference in cardio, but my rest intervals are at about 1 min 30 s while I'm lifting, so I'm not winded when I start my sets.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Altitude effects mainly endurance events and not anaerobic events. In fact, the thin air helps for for short burst, anaerobic work.

Look up the 1968 Olympics for elaboration.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
Like Rodja said, your weightlifting shouldn't be effected as long as your taking adequate rest periods. You may need slightly longer rest times initially until you fully acclimatize to the new altitude, which could take a week or two.

It's also possible that you will be able to lift at slightly greater intensities, due tl the thinner air once your body adjusts for the differences in O2 concentration.

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
I recently relocated from a city at sea level to a city with an elevation of 6,500 ft (1982m) and my last few workouts have been very rough. I was wondering if muscular strength was affected as much by elevation as cardio is? Or will the increased elevation increase my RBC count and I'll eventually feel a small boost in strength as my body compensates?

I only felt like I was training at about 85% of what I usually do. Is this within a normal range?

I definitely notice the difference in cardio, but my rest intervals are at about 1 min 30 s while I'm lifting, so I'm not winded when I start my sets.
Strength will improve but it'll take a little time. The muscles aren't using oxygen in anaerobic activity but the rest of your body will still want you to rest and increase your blood oxygen levels. Once your body acclimates you'll be stronger than ever but the more strenuous the activity the more acclimation time you need to be able to perform it.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dehydration can ensue with acute altitude exposure to maintain blood pH.

I'd say most of it is in your head...or due to the pain in the balls that moving is.

Br