Altitude? - AnabolicMinds.com

Altitude?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Altitude?

I recently relocated from a city at sea level to a city with an elevation of 6,500 ft (1982m) and my last few workouts have been very rough. I was wondering if muscular strength was affected as much by elevation as cardio is? Or will the increased elevation increase my RBC count and I'll eventually feel a small boost in strength as my body compensates?

I only felt like I was training at about 85% of what I usually do. Is this within a normal range?

I definitely notice the difference in cardio, but my rest intervals are at about 1 min 30 s while I'm lifting, so I'm not winded when I start my sets.

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Altitude effects mainly endurance events and not anaerobic events. In fact, the thin air helps for for short burst, anaerobic work.

Look up the 1968 Olympics for elaboration.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.

Like Rodja said, your weightlifting shouldn't be effected as long as your taking adequate rest periods. You may need slightly longer rest times initially until you fully acclimatize to the new altitude, which could take a week or two.

It's also possible that you will be able to lift at slightly greater intensities, due tl the thinner air once your body adjusts for the differences in O2 concentration.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Doss
    I recently relocated from a city at sea level to a city with an elevation of 6,500 ft (1982m) and my last few workouts have been very rough. I was wondering if muscular strength was affected as much by elevation as cardio is? Or will the increased elevation increase my RBC count and I'll eventually feel a small boost in strength as my body compensates?

I only felt like I was training at about 85% of what I usually do. Is this within a normal range?

I definitely notice the difference in cardio, but my rest intervals are at about 1 min 30 s while I'm lifting, so I'm not winded when I start my sets.
    Strength will improve but it'll take a little time. The muscles aren't using oxygen in anaerobic activity but the rest of your body will still want you to rest and increase your blood oxygen levels. Once your body acclimates you'll be stronger than ever but the more strenuous the activity the more acclimation time you need to be able to perform it.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Dehydration can ensue with acute altitude exposure to maintain blood pH.

I'd say most of it is in your head...or due to the pain in the balls that moving is.

Br

Similar Forum Threads

1. High Altitude Question
    By Bile12345 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2010, 02:48 PM
  2. high altitude / hyperbarick chambers
    By soseg in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 02:28 AM
  3. Advice on APFT Run in High Altitude
    By BingeAndPurge in forum Exercise Science