shoulder forward roll?

  1. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    916
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    41.81%

    Hey so I staring taking side shots profile to track progress and I now see that I have a forward roll on both shoulders. This is when the middle deltoids are pointed slightly forward instead of straight. It causses everything to look terrible. Chest small, back rounded ect. What muscles need to be strengthened to fix this and what specific exercises should u do. Ill add Im also focusing on bringing up my lower back strength n abs as i have neglected them over the years.

  2. Senior Member
    fadi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,163
    Rep Power
    3106
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    30.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Many recommend face pulls, but sub'ed for the experienced users to chime in.
  3. Senior Member
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,233
    Rep Power
    106252
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    53.16%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    roll and stretch your pecs and lats. and facepulls, rows, pullups, and external rotation exercises will help with that.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    916
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    41.81%

    Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig
    roll and stretch your pecs and lats. and facepulls, rows, pullups, and external rotation exercises will help with that.
    Thanks man this very helpful. By external rotations do u mean like reverse flys?
  5. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,548
    Rep Power
    1213214
    Level
    93
    Lv. Percent
    58.45%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    It's more than just weak mid-traps/rear delts, it's also from tightness in the rotator cuffs, pec major/minor, and lats.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  6. Senior Member
    thegodfather's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,045
    Rep Power
    113184
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    19.59%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    This happens a lot with "benchers" and people who put most emphasis on their chest and abs, and not enough on the posterior chain which is responsible for posture. I dont know what your routine is like, but maybe laying off the chest some and focusing more on your entire back will help to resolve some of this.
  7. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    916
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    41.81%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    It's more than just weak mid-traps/rear delts, it's also from tightness in the rotator cuffs, pec major/minor, and lats.
    Yes! !! I can feel the tightness how do I fix it?
  8. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    916
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    41.81%

    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather
    This happens a lot with "benchers" and people who put most emphasis on their chest and abs, and not enough on the posterior chain which is responsible for posture. I dont know what your routine is like, but maybe laying off the chest some and focusing more on your entire back will help to resolve some of this.
    Honestly I'm not sure if that's it. My back is a lot more devoloed than my chest. My chest actually sux just because if genetics . But I do feel there are weeknesses in my back that need to be addressed. Any exercise you to recommended to align everything.

    My current back routine normally consists of wide lat pull down, cable rows, bent over BB rows, DB rows, n reverse fly focusing on rear delt.
  9. Senior Member
    swollen87's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,765
    Rep Power
    2721
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    35.31%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    MFR, stretching, deep tissue massage etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysgaining View Post
    I've also done fasting and doseing and felt grealt anabolicness , deffint hunger but I'm stronger than that keep full and vascular and strength gose up
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/177245-swollen87s-training-log.html
  10. Senior Member
    Docmattic's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,093
    Rep Power
    54646
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    51.36%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    In addition to the advice given above you may find this helps.

    Lie on your back on the floor with your arms streached out (like a crusifix).

    Now with one arm, keeping it straight rotate it towards and over the top of your legs so your bicep and chest meet. Keep going and touch your other hand which should still be out to the side.Then keep going over your head keeping the pressure of the streach on untill your back to your begining position. Do this 5 times and change arms.

    I hope it helps.
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html
  11. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,548
    Rep Power
    1213214
    Level
    93
    Lv. Percent
    58.45%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by hugry4more View Post
    Yes! !! I can feel the tightness how do I fix it?
    http://www.mindandmuscle.net/article...-the-shoulder/
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  12. Senior Member
    aceroni's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,683
    Rep Power
    1115245
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    12.94%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    yo dude i used to have alot of problems with my shoulders being forward too. alot of it had to do w/ the fact that i am a student and spend alot of my free time sitting down, studying..
    I would get chiropractic adjustments and Active release therapy helps alot, but what actually saved my was FACE PULLS
    do them DAILY.
  13. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    916
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    41.81%

    Quote Originally Posted by aceroni
    yo dude i used to have alot of problems with my shoulders being forward too. alot of it had to do w/ the fact that i am a student and spend alot of my free time sitting down, studying..
    I would get chiropractic adjustments and Active release therapy helps alot, but what actually saved my was FACE PULLS
    do them DAILY.
    Do recommend training the fast or slow twitch fibers. Like what should my reps vs load be.?

    I'm may look into a chiropractor but that may just be like a bandade not a permanent fix. But then it may work for good what to I know ha!
  14. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,548
    Rep Power
    1213214
    Level
    93
    Lv. Percent
    58.45%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Did you even bother to read the article I posted? It addresses your situation and writes out everything you need.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  15. Senior Member
    fadi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,163
    Rep Power
    3106
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    30.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    That was an excellent read. Without the flashlights, I can see I am in the terrible posture category from the position of my hands. And that is after so much stretching.

    I can row more than 50% of what I can bench, I can use 50% more weight on seated DB press with slight incline than I can military press due to me not being able to push my hands straight up. Not to mention the constant shoulder pain in my right shoulder although that could be bicep tendenitis (sp?).

    I'll start incorporating the recommended techniques, but I will also be seeing an ART therapist to correct and loosen my posture. I think my problems are more than just shoulders.
  16. Senior Member
    aceroni's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,683
    Rep Power
    1115245
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    12.94%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Dude a chiropractor is not a "bandaid"...
    First of all if you're having these problems its because something is out of wack in your body... obviously its going to take more than ONE adjustment for it to "stick" back into place, esp if whatever may be out of place has been so for a long time, its used to being in that wrong position. its common sense.

    second of all i started doing face pulls every day 2 sets of 10-12 reps i was too weak to do more.
    now, i just do them before i train usually four sets of 15 reps. i like to take a small orange band from elite fts and put it around the squat rack at varying heights for each of the four sets.
  17. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    916
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    41.81%

    Quote Originally Posted by aceroni
    Dude a chiropractor is not a "bandaid"...
    First of all if you're having these problems its because something is out of wack in your body... obviously its going to take more than ONE adjustment for it to "stick" back into place, esp if whatever may be out of place has been so for a long time, its used to being in that wrong position. its common sense.

    second of all i started doing face pulls every day 2 sets of 10-12 reps i was too weak to do more.
    now, i just do them before i train usually four sets of 15 reps. i like to take a small orange band from elite fts and put it around the squat rack at varying heights for each of the four sets.
    Thanks man I think I will look into a chiropractor soon. Thanks!
  18. Advanced Member
    Movin_weight's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    802
    Rep Power
    1889
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    47.07%

    Sounds like Cervical Kyphosis.. Overdeveloped internal rotators, tight shoulder flexors, with weak or stretched external rotators/back muscles.

    Rodja hit on it pretty good, The biggest thing that I didn't see mentioned in that article is to be sure your fully retracting your scapula when performing back exercises, and to even perform scapular retraction exercises. Try narrowing your grip on your rows/lat pulldowns, and really pinching the shoulder blades together with every rep.

    It's all too common for a person to let their biceps and rear delts overpower their back movements. You also incorporate the internal rotators during movements like lat-pulldown, which is counter-productive... So if the thats you main back movement, then you need to switch it up

    when you maximize muscular development, the internal rotators are stronger, and contain more overall muscle tissue than the external rotators... so there will generally always be some internal/external imbalance in bodybuilders. However, there is no reason for the shoulders to slump or roll forward

    My Rowing movements are roughly 95-105% of my pressing movements, depending on what exercise were talking, and that keeps my shoulders drawn back, and posture remotely decent despite some internal rotation of the humerus
  19. Advanced Member
    Movin_weight's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    802
    Rep Power
    1889
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    47.07%

    " Yesterday 02:43 PM #15
    fadi



    Registered User
    Join Date Jun 2004
    Stats 6'1" lbs.
    Location San Antonio
    Age 39
    Posts 834

    Rep Power1067


    Originally Posted by Rodja
    http://www.mindandmuscle.net/article...-the-shoulder/



    That was an excellent read. Without the flashlights, I can see I am in the terrible posture category from the position of my hands. And that is after so much stretching.

    I can row more than 50% of what I can bench, I can use 50% more weight on seated DB press with slight incline than I can military press due to me not being able to push my hands straight up. Not to mention the constant shoulder pain in my right shoulder although that could be bicep tendenitis (sp?).

    I'll start incorporating the recommended techniques, but I will also be seeing an ART therapist to correct and loosen my posture. I think my problems are more than just shoulders
    ."




    tight hip flexors can screw everything from the waist up
  20. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    916
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    41.81%

    That you I was looking fir something exactly like this. You don't hear a lot about this stuff to much. But look like I'm in the very bad posture category. . I glad to now howbto proceed now though.
  21. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,548
    Rep Power
    1213214
    Level
    93
    Lv. Percent
    58.45%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    It's going to take months to fully correct your situation, but it is a necessary thing to do before injury occurs.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  22. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    916
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    41.81%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    It's going to take months to fully correct your situation, but it is a necessary thing to do before injury occurs.
    Okay so my original plan was to starts bulking soon. After the 3 weeks of staying off chest n lats is it okay to start going heavy of should I just stay in higher Rep range with those muscles?
  23. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,548
    Rep Power
    1213214
    Level
    93
    Lv. Percent
    58.45%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by hugry4more View Post
    Okay so my original plan was to starts bulking soon. After the 3 weeks of staying off chest n lats is it okay to start going heavy of should I just stay in higher Rep range with those muscles?
    I'd take at least 3 months to correct the postural imbalance and continue to do rotator cuff, mid-trap, and rear delt work after that.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  24. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    916
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    41.81%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    I'd take at least 3 months to correct the postural imbalance and continue to do rotator cuff, mid-trap, and rear delt work after that.
    Okay so you your own opinion what's course of action exactly would you take. Can arm workout deadlifts ect. I really in the dark here how I should handle it. Obviously I don't want to take off 3 months n just focus in just posture but if that is the best way it is what it is.
  25. Advanced Member
    Movin_weight's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    802
    Rep Power
    1889
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    47.07%

    Quote Originally Posted by hugry4more View Post
    Okay so you your own opinion what's course of action exactly would you take. Can arm workout deadlifts ect. I really in the dark here how I should handle it. Obviously I don't want to take off 3 months n just focus in just posture but if that is the best way it is what it is.

    While Rodja makes a strong point, and ideally taking the time off would allow for the greatest path to correcting the problem, I don't believe it is necessary to completely take 3 mos off... Or a reasonable request at least for myself personally. You just need to place more emphasis on correcting the imbalance, and accept that your going to lose some chest development. IMO you don't really need to take any time off from your chest workouts, you should just re-structure them. That is unless your experiencing considerable impingement pain or discomfort during any of those movements with lighter weight. Focus more on full ROM movements with lighter weights that allow you to get a good stretch in your pec muscles. You can increase the flexibility of a muscle group considerably just by increasing the range of motion during various exercises.

    I would also bet that when you bench, you tend to flare your elbows out considerably, which incorporates alot of internal rotators, and can add to the problem... so correcting your form for a few exercises may be necessary too. You can search for some bench press form videos on this forum.
  26. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,548
    Rep Power
    1213214
    Level
    93
    Lv. Percent
    58.45%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Movin_weight View Post
    While Rodja makes a strong point, and ideally taking the time off would allow for the greatest path to correcting the problem, I don't believe it is necessary to completely take 3 mos off... Or a reasonable request at least for myself personally. You just need to place more emphasis on correcting the imbalance, and accept that your going to lose some chest development. IMO you don't really need to take any time off from your chest workouts, you should just re-structure them. That is unless your experiencing considerable impingement pain or discomfort during any of those movements with lighter weight. Focus more on full ROM movements with lighter weights that allow you to get a good stretch in your pec muscles. You can increase the flexibility of a muscle group considerably just by increasing the range of motion during various exercises.

    I would also bet that when you bench, you tend to flare your elbows out considerably, which incorporates alot of internal rotators, and can add to the problem... so correcting your form for a few exercises may be necessary too. You can search for some bench press form videos on this forum.
    I didn't mean he should take 3 months off, but he should take 3 months where he cuts his pressing volume in half while concurrently correcting his issue. As you alluded to, I can pretty confidently say that technique is an issue here as well.

    Always, ALWAYS perform MFR before training and stretch out the pec major/minor (different stretch), lats, triceps, and mid-traps before and after training.

    Look up "Simple 6 DeFranco" on Youtube for a solid upper body warm-up.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  27. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    916
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    41.81%

    Hey guys so u been doing the exercises from the link above and I have more roll on my right shoulder. My rear mid traps are less developed than my left. Any advice on this??
  28. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    916
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    41.81%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    Did you even bother to read the article I posted? It addresses your situation and writes out everything you need.
    Yea man thanks for this its a life saver. I was looking for something like this forever!!!
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Looking forward to starting my first log....
    By vettedood in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2011, 01:44 PM
  2. Forward.
    By l0ck in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-23-2009, 03:08 PM
  3. Roll Tide Roll
    By Matthew D in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 01-06-2007, 10:41 PM
  4. Have i gone forward or back?
    By TruffleShuffle in forum Pics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-06-2005, 04:16 PM
  5. Looking forward to the 19Nor!
    By windwords7 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 12-03-2002, 02:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in