Damn my grinding knee!!

1. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.01%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Damn my grinding knee!!

Lately, I notice my right knee makes a grinding noise when I climb stairs. No pain, though. Im assuming this is either an inflammed tendon or rough cartilidge behind the patella. (Chondromalacia)

Funny thing is, my knees feel great after I do squats. Im assuming that this could be my knee isnt tracking right (possibly due to a muscle strength imbalance from lifting).

So Im icing the be-otch down after lifting and at night before bed. And trying this exercise recommended for the rough cartilidge bit:

Put a rolled towl under one leg, and flex your leg straight and squeeze. 2 sets of 20.

Supposed to realign the knee.

Also going to start some joint care supplimentation.

Does it sound like Im on the right track? How long should I wait to see a doctor?

Thanks,
    BV

2. dead sexy wino
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

My knee has been grinding my whole life. I take lgucosamine/chondriotin/MSM/collagen/fish oil for supplements. I also notice that a REALLY good warm up gets things in order on leg day. I've been getting a feeling of pressure over the past year now just below the knee cap (bursa sack) during and after leg days. EMU oil with oil of oregano rubbed deeply into the area seems to help.

let us know if that excercise works.
  3. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.01%

Ive read about Emu oil helping with tendonitis. Have you ever tried seeing a chairopractor SJA?

Here's some sites with good info that Ive found:

http://www.medfriendly.com/chondromalaciapatellae.html
    http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/pfs.html

at the bottom of the page at the 2nd link, they recommend a one let squat to balance out the quad and re-align the knee. I was doing those the other day and noticed that it seemed to help. (before I had even read that)

I think a big issue with me is that Im at a job where Im on my feet 50 hours a week, and overpronate slightly.

As far as that bursa sack, have you tried icing it down 2x a day?
    •   

4. dead sexy wino
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.17%

Quote Originally Posted by BigVrunga
    Ive read about Emu oil helping with tendonitis. Have you ever tried seeing a chairopractor SJA?

Here's some sites with good info that Ive found:

http://www.medfriendly.com/chondromalaciapatellae.html
    http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/pfs.html

at the bottom of the page at the 2nd link, they recommend a one let squat to balance out the quad and re-align the knee. I was doing those the other day and noticed that it seemed to help. (before I had even read that)

I think a big issue with me is that Im at a job where Im on my feet 50 hours a week, and overpronate slightly.

As far as that bursa sack, have you tried icing it down 2x a day?

I go to a chiropractor once per month (L5 is broken and re-healed) for realignment. So I'm sure that plays into my problem. Also, I think it may be a genetic thing because two of my Brothers and my Father have the same left knee problem My Dad just got a scraping and my younger Brother will be soon. I say **** that unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks for the links and the icing advice...I'll check them out.
  5. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.08%

I have a similar problem, I have patellofemoral pain syndrome, which is basically rough cartilidge behind my knee cap. What they gave me was a knee brace to where specifically designed to keep my knee in place to prevent grinding and it slipping out of track. So far it seems to be helping but I still can't do squats without extreme pain.
  6. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.01%

That sucks bro. I can hear my knee grinding when I go upstairs, but thats it. I have no pain at all. In fact, squats make it feel better. Maybe its a tendon rubbing against the joint? Have you seen a sports therapist? I know they can smooth out that knee cartilidge with surgery - have you checked that out?

BV
  7. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.08%

Quote Originally Posted by BigVrunga
    That sucks bro. I can hear my knee grinding when I go upstairs, but thats it. I have no pain at all. In fact, squats make it feel better. Maybe its a tendon rubbing against the joint? Have you seen a sports therapist? I know they can smooth out that knee cartilidge with surgery - have you checked that out?

BV
    Yeah I got it checked out and even had physical therapy and they said nothing of a surgery. I'm going to have to check into that surgery as soon as I get my insurance back.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Why are my knees purple?
    By FLY in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-05-2012, 04:07 PM
  2. ALRI fatloss Stack (AKA "Damn, there went my paycheck!)
    By motiv8er in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 08-27-2006, 08:52 PM
  3. damn my chest is killing me
    By The Paper Route in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 02:53 PM
  4. my damn blood pressure
    By UNDERTAKER in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 05:46 PM
  5. Damn lump in my ass.