Parallel Bar Dips Grip Width CHEST

luka5

Awards
i have adjustable parallel bars so I wonder how wide should I set them for best chest stimulation? I heard 30 inches is good.

im only 5 7 btw

i take a grip sth like 3-4 inches wider each side of shoulder width and flare elbows to the sides and push with a chest, squeeze hard . correct?

and second question - dips are my first chest exercise. so i wonder if say 10 pushups and few bodyweight dips (5-6) are a good start before main weighted sets? jsut to feel the movement. then add 80lbs and do worksets

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i have adjustable parallel bars so I wonder how wide should I set them for best chest stimulation? I heard 30 inches is good.

im only 5 7 btw

i take a grip sth like 3-4 inches wider each side of shoulder width and flare elbows to the sides and push with a chest, squeeze hard . correct?

and second question - dips are my first chest exercise. so i wonder if say 10 pushups and few bodyweight dips (5-6) are a good start before main weighted sets? jsut to feel the movement. then add 80lbs and do worksets
I read somewhere 33 inches.. Does 3 inches make a difference?? I do not know ;)

As for question two. I do chest dips usually as my second to last exercise (right before cable crossovers Which helps peak the pump fromthe dips ... I would personally use bodyweight dips then move to weighted but only with 45 lbs max :( lol
Bear in mind I'm already very warned up since it's my 4th exercises for chest.. (u could also pyramid up to working weight rather than wasting energy n time on body weight sets, since you use 80s I doubt it would even help .. Guys who bench 315 don warm up with just the bar... )

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
it should measure the same as the length from your elbow to the tip of your hand.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Whatever width is comfortable will be fine. How much you use your chest will be decided more by the angle you lean than a few inches one way or the other in width. That said, once you start adding weight, leaning forward becomes increasingly difficult, so my personal approach is just to not over think the little stuff and focus on getting the right range of motion. For a warm-up, do whatever feels right for you. A few push-ups and dips should be fine. Just really exaggerate the depth to get as comfortable as possible with the movement before you start adding serious weight.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, whatever width allows you to feel it "best." You want to feel your chest stretch and then squeeze at the top. It should feel natural. You don't want it too wide or you'll stress your shoulder joints. Too narrow defeats the purpose too.