Baffling Imbalance Problem

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I've exhausted myself doing research on this subject, so I'm appealing to the community here for some enlightenment.

I'm having trouble with a growing imbalance between the left and right sides of my body, but I can't determine why. I train almost completely isolaterally, and with a partner who has been keeping my form tight and making sure that I make the same motion with both sides during any given exercise. Strength is equal on both sides, but all the major muscle groups on the left of my body are smaller than their brothers on the right. I'm talking everything. Abs, arms, shoulder, quads, hammys, calves and back. Even the muscles in my face are smaller (it's almost imperceptible and others don't notice, but I can)

My question is what would be the best way to go about adding mass to the left side so that I catch up and get my symmetry back in line? Heavier sets on the left? More volume.

Note: The only success I've had in remedying this problem was during a 10 week Serge Nubret-esque super high volume routine. Everything got as close to even as they've been since I was skinny and without definition. Also, I've been in 2 major car crashes and shattered both my right femur and most of my left arm, but recovered completely with total ROM.

Does anyone know what this might be? Is there any endocrine system malfunction that could explain it? If you made it this far, thanks for reading and I'll hope you have some advice.

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards
I,ve had the same problem and what I have done is everytime i go to pick something up I get it with my left side, and now my left is 1-2 reps stronger than my right.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I've made an effort to do this before, but I didn't really notice a difference. How long did it take you to notice some results?

I'm rather certain that it's either a birth defect or a endo- problem. I'm kind of just looking for confirmation from someone so I can accept it, do what I can, and move on haha

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards
It took about a year for it to get equal with the left

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I'll keep it up then. Does anyone else have some recommendations?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've exhausted myself doing research on this subject, so I'm appealing to the community here for some enlightenment.

I'm having trouble with a growing imbalance between the left and right sides of my body, but I can't determine why. I train almost completely isolaterally, and with a partner who has been keeping my form tight and making sure that I make the same motion with both sides during any given exercise. Strength is equal on both sides, but all the major muscle groups on the left of my body are smaller than their brothers on the right. I'm talking everything. Abs, arms, shoulder, quads, hammys, calves and back. Even the muscles in my face are smaller (it's almost imperceptible and others don't notice, but I can)

My question is what would be the best way to go about adding mass to the left side so that I catch up and get my symmetry back in line? Heavier sets on the left? More volume.

Note: The only success I've had in remedying this problem was during a 10 week Serge Nubret-esque super high volume routine. Everything got as close to even as they've been since I was skinny and without definition. Also, I've been in 2 major car crashes and shattered both my right femur and most of my left arm, but recovered completely with total ROM.

Does anyone know what this might be? Is there any endocrine system malfunction that could explain it? If you made it this far, thanks for reading and I'll hope you have some advice.
As I was reading this I kept thinking a neural issue. Then I got to the bolded part, and I believe that may have caused the neural issue.

Have you been tested as far as cranial nerves? Most of the muscles in your face are innervated via cranial nerves, so you could have a minor impingement high up in the SC or even the brain stem affecting that side.

At least, that is my guess.

Br

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Based upon the information you provided it sounds like you need to gain balance through compound exercising and making sure you postural stance is good. *A compound exercise is utilizing multiple muscle groups to do one form of exercise such as lunges, squats, bench press with a barbell, and so forth. Another suggestion is possibly starting from scratch by working on form and technique versus heavy weight. *I also recommend you taking time off so *you do not stress so much on training and allowing yourself to recover adequately. *My question to you is what type of exercises or training regime do you use? *What is your goal?
I do use the major compound lifts: barbell bench, barbell squat, barbell deadlift and my form is solid. About 6 months ago I realized that I was sacrificing form for higher weights and thus dropped a lot of pride and weight and essentially started from scratch as you recommended. I don't believe that my form is the issue.

As far as taking time off, I'm currently on a AAS cycle with 2-on 1-off. My gains have been phenomenal and I don't think the gear has exacerbated the imbalance problem.

My goal is increased mass without added BF. I'm 5'11" 195 lbs and <8% BF. Up from about 178-180 5 weeks ago. I've adapted a few training methods into my workouts and generally start my workouts out with low volume, high intensity sets. Generally 4-6 sets of 5-8 reps to exhaust and build strength, then another 4-6 sets with higher reps of 12-15 to bang up the muscle fibers as much as possible. It's been working very well for me.

Br -

I think that what you're thinking is very close to the problem. I've also suspected some neural damage, but it's only recently that it's become something I've been seriously concerned about. I'm currently outside of the U.S. but I'll be home in a few months and will have some tests done.

Thank you all for the comments.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Br - If it is a neural problem as we seem to think it is, what would you recommend doing to catch that side up? Is there anything you know of that helps?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm not sure. You could try some visual based training with feedback to maybe increase motor programming. I can send you a paper I wrote about the effects of it on performance, if you'd like. Aside from that, if its physical it may just need to be corrected.

Br

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
You could try some visual based training with feedback to maybe increase motor programming. I can send you a paper I wrote about the effects of it on performance, if you'd like.
I'd appreciate that. Thank you!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
pm your email...its mostly a review of literature regarding applications and results

Br