Can Circuit Training Increase Strength and Muscle?

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I didn't read the article, but in my own experience circuit training is not beneficial to traditional bodybuilders i.e it won't build mass but for endurance or regular athletes its a good form of training and can and does increase both strength and muscle but you likely won't gain mass since the fast pace of a circuit will burn more calories and limit the mass gain.

anoopbal

Awards
I didn't read the article, but in my own experience circuit training is not beneficial to traditional bodybuilders i.e it won't build mass but for endurance or regular athletes its a good form of training and can and does increase both strength and muscle but you likely won't gain mass since the fast pace of a circuit will burn more calories and limit the mass gain.
Most of what bodybuilders do, may not apply to the general population.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well, if you guys would mean it like that then perhaps it would be best put as... Circuit training can increase strength and muscle mass but wouldn't be the optimal workout routine if you were training for a professional bodybuilding contest.

I do circuit training sometimes just to switch it up. I keep my rep range around 8-10 most of the time. 10-12 reps for legs and sometimes 20 rep squats.

Here's a routine I do if I want a workout but don't have a lot of time.

Crunches x 50
Dips x as many as you can do
Pull-ups x as many as you can do
- Rest 30 seconds
Barbell Curls x 10 reps
* Immediately bend forward to an underhanded barbell rowing position and x 15 reps
- Rest 30 seconds
Arnold DB Presses x 10 reps
Reverse DB Laterals x 10 reps
- Rest 30 seconds
Barbell Squats x 20 reps
Leg Curls x 10-12 reps
- Rest 2 minutes then REPEAT x 2 more times

Pretty nice little workout.