Learning about Periodization

Romac

Romac

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I am learning much about peridization as it applies to bbers.

I am determined to understand and craft my own personal program that splits primary objectives between size and strength.

I would like to plan a periodized system based around an 8 week bulk followed by a 3 week cut, and 1 week of rest/maintenance, for a total of 12 weeks, which is a little shorter than most cycles i have seen.

The primary objectives of the 8-week bulk are to increase size and strength with a current emphasis on size. A secondary objective/benefit is CNS conditioning.

The primary objectives of the 3-week cut are to reduce body fat by 6 to 9lbs, and the secondary objectives of increasing cardiovascular conditioning, tendon strengthening, lifting endurance, and deloading.

I am playing with a few ideas and was wondering if anybody could help point out some disadvantages, advantages or recommendations regarding each option. I have ordered the cycles as recommended by Mel Siff in his 'Supertraining' book.

Option 1:
Weeks 1 through 4: Strength Training - 1 to 5 reps - 2 on 1 off - 6 days total for 4-day split
Weeks 5 through 8: Hypertrophy Training - 8 to 10 reps
Weeks 9 though 11: Endurance Training (3 week cut) - 15 to 20 reps
Week 12: Rest/Maintain - low intensity and low volume

Or

Option 2:
Splitting the 8 weeks of strength and hypertrophy into two smaller cycles:
Week 1: Strength
Weeks 2 through 4: Hypertrophy
Week 5: Strength
Weeks 6 through 8: Hypertrophy
Weeks 9 though 11: Endurance
Week 12: Rest/Maintain

Possible advantages:
· a shorter time between strength and hypertrophy cycles (but total strength training is 2-weeks less)
· very short cycles to keep things interesting

Are any of the programs out there similar to this?

All constructive comments welcome. :)

Dan

Awards
The problem I can see with option 1 is that there is so long of a break between each type of training eg. you aren't training for strength at all for 8 weeks. I like the idea suggested by several people of adding weight to every lift each week until you can't lift for more than 6 reps with good form, then dropping the weight back down the following week and repeating. This follows the progressive load principle and also allows you to vary your training between mass and strength. Also remember that more mass = more strength.

Romac

Romac

Awards
  • First Up Vote
The problem I can see with option 1 is that there is so long of a break between each type of training eg. you aren't training for strength at all for 8 weeks. I like the idea suggested by several people of adding weight to every lift each week until you can't lift for more than 6 reps with good form, then dropping the weight back down the following week and repeating. This follows the progressive load principle and also allows you to vary your training between mass and strength. Also remember that more mass = more strength.
yeah that's kinda the way i do things now, but not structured into a program really. This is kind of an attempt at organizing the intuitive periodization that i naturally use. I drift between strength and hypertrophy, but the drift is triggered by how i feel rather than a shedule. The disadvantage of letting myself intuitively split my training beween hypertrophy is that i have to remember and think...two things i'm not always in the mood to do. ;)

I also found an article (a few minutes ago) by christian thibeadeau on pendilum periodization that prefers the shorter phases:
"Changing the training stimulus frequently helps you avoid neural and physical overtraining while placing a maximal adaptive stress on your body. It also works great at preventing boredom."
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do;jsessionid=1903A5FC310DBF25BD1F64FE6A31BA80.ba13?article=04-013-training