Why Crossfit sucks for MMA

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Dear Rodja:

Tittle should always say "Why CrossFit sucks completely and in every aspect".

Sincerely
An Advocator of real training and a Concerned Citizen with the wide spread infection of F*ckarounditis in this world.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dear Rodja:

Tittle should always say "Why CrossFit sucks completely and in every aspect".

Sincerely
An Advocator of real training and a Concerned Citizen with the wide spread infection of F*ckarounditis in this world.
There are a few good things that have come out of CF such as reemphasizing basic barbell lifts, conditioning, and a competitive team atmosphere. However, their lack of programming, waving, knowledge of metabolic and energy systems, and negligence of technique far outweighs the positives.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
There are a few good things that have come out of CF such as reemphasizing basic barbell lifts, conditioning, and a competitive team atmosphere. However, their lack of programming, waving, knowledge of metabolic and energy systems, and negligence of technique far outweighs the positives.
Meaning its a recipe for disaster due to lack of overtraining-knowledge and poor understanding of how metabolic rates have to be considered into account and thus causing it to be so devastating for the joints and CNS of athletes that perform it right?

Kekkuk

Kekkuk

Awards
I'm uncertain how to train (specifically strength training) to dictate when you 'peak'.
How would that apply when I set a goal to do better each session? Is it as simple as making sure I'm rested before event?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I once visited a Crossfit box up in Canada that had a totally different mindset from the rest. They had a strength bias and had many MMA fighters training at their box. I witnessed one person training (he was training on his own), doing circuits with the heavy bag and some lifts. It was awe inspiring actually, mainly since he geared his workout for what he needed, and this f^&ker was intense!!

Other WODs these guys did at this box, were all mainly strongman WODs.

I think it's all how you approach it, and every box is different! Some focus more on football style training as well. It all depends on their clientell in the area I think. It is a business, so yes many cater to the lowest common denominator, but overall, I think it's a great starting point for aspiring athletes, and people who want to learn. The one's I've been to are VERY strict about form and function, and EXTREMELY knowledgeable about mobility, olympic and powerlifting (I powerlift but don't crossfit). Of course many people throw form out the window when going for max reps, but the ones I've been to will give you hell for it, and always push proper form... I think quality from one box to another is a huge issue in the crossfit world. I just happen to have some of the best in the country around me. The owner of mine gets called on by Rippetoe himself to teach and speak at seminars.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
With that being said though, general crossfit WODs are not sport specific, so of course it is very obvious and common sense that it's not great when training for any specific sport.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Meaning its a recipe for disaster due to lack of overtraining-knowledge and poor understanding of how metabolic rates have to be considered into account and thus causing it to be so devastating for the joints and CNS of athletes that perform it right?
Joint health is a concern, but that's due to the outlandish numbers of reps prescribed on lifts that fall into the "power" category. For example, cleans are not something that should be "muscled up" at any point.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Joint health is a concern, but that's due to the outlandish numbers of reps prescribed on lifts that fall into the "power" category. For example, cleans are not something that should be "muscled up" at any point.

They agree with this. When form fails, you should stop the lift. They always always always preach proper form. Why so hateful of crossfit? Have you had a bad experience at one or with certain people?

I could just as easily create an article stating why gymnasts should not do 5/3/1. Crossfit is not meant to be sport specific.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They agree with this. When form fails, you should stop the lift. They always always always preach proper form. Why so hateful of crossfit? Have you had a bad experience at one or with certain people?

I could just as easily create an article stating why gymnasts should not do 5/3/1. Crossfit is not meant to be sport specific.
I have an issue with bad training designs and their elitist attitude towards everyone. That and there is a growing number of people within the MMA community that think CF is an acceptable S&C program.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah it's definitely not. Their credo is that it's not specific for any sport. It's very broad.

If people take it too far, they WILL get injured, and many do... I blame that on the competitive aspect of it. Overall though, I love how competitive it is, and the level of knowledge that most of the good coaches have. I agree that some people can drop the elitist attitude though. I experienced it first hand when I started training my first few months as a bodybuilder turned powerlifter at a local crossfit box.

It is a big turn off how a lot of them view bodybuilders as well. Instead of acting elitist, I try to help my bodybuilding friends by giving them functional advice to their training, to help them in the long run. I don't think everyone has this attitude though, but a lot in the scene do. It's the competitiveness of it...pushes a lot of them to think they're on top.

Overall though I love how it forms such a tight nit community. The community aspect is great. I am also extremely competitive, so I like that part of it too (well, when dealing with them, I don't crossfit I just use their facilities because there is no true powerlifting gym in NYC).

When someone gets all high and mighty with me there, I have no reservations about letting them know what's up. After that, things have generally been good lol

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah it's definitely not. Their credo is that it's not specific for any sport. It's very broad.

If people take it too far, they WILL get injured, and many do... I blame that on the competitive aspect of it. Overall though, I love how competitive it is, and the level of knowledge that most of the good coaches have. I agree that some people can drop the elitist attitude though. I experienced it first hand when I started training my first few months as a bodybuilder turned powerlifter at a local crossfit box.

It is a big turn off how a lot of them view bodybuilders as well. Instead of acting elitist, I try to help my bodybuilding friends by giving them functional advice to their training, to help them in the long run. I don't think everyone has this attitude though, but a lot in the scene do. It's the competitiveness of it...pushes a lot of them to think they're on top.

Overall though I love how it forms such a tight nit community. The community aspect is great. I am also extremely competitive, so I like that part of it too (well, when dealing with them, I don't crossfit I just use their facilities because there is no true powerlifting gym in NYC).

When someone gets all high and mighty with me there, I have no reservations about letting them know what's up. After that, things have generally been good lol
I will give the CF community credit for going out of their way to get some of the real strength coaches (e.g. Louie, Tate) out there involved to teach the subtleties of the big 3 and learning the dynamic method.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have to give a huge thanks to K-Star for Mobility WOD as well.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Rodja - sorry for the way I came across in my earlier post as well. I read the thread title, and then a few other posts that seemed really negative about Crossfit in general.... but your article is very well written and states the limitations of crossfit as I had also mentioned in here.. mainly how it's very general in it's scope and can be a great tool to build a foundation, but shouldn't be considered sports specific or a substitute for sports specific training. My apologies bro.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja - sorry for the way I came across in my earlier post as well. I read the thread title, and then a few other posts that seemed really negative about Crossfit in general.... but your article is very well written and states the limitations of crossfit as I had also mentioned in here.. mainly how it's very general in it's scope and can be a great tool to build a foundation, but shouldn't be considered sports specific or a substitute for sports specific training. My apologies bro.
No offense taken and thanks for reading.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have to give a huge thanks to K-Star for Mobility WOD as well.
Mobility Wod is awesome.

What no invite Rodja? I had to stumble upon this? Lol

napalm

napalm

Awards
nice read rodja, whens the next installment?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Looking forward to part 2 rodja. Your posts are always a great read and your link was great as well!

Future

Like anything there is good and bad. There are alot of places that wanted me to do Olympic lifts and I just can't with my injuries. There were other places that said "What can you do?" And also took the time to help programming more for me in spite of the class structure. Let's face it the CrossFit Games is pretty cool just like alot of max paradigm sports BUT that doesn't mean everyone is going to the games. :)

Thanks for the write up.