stretching??

chitown58

chitown58

Awards
i hear stretching in between sets aids muscle growth, im curious on how this works? does it speed up recovery?? thanks in advance..

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do a quick google search on FST7

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have heard stretching your back in the middle of your sets(on back day obviously) aid in width development. I believe Arnold did this often..i coul dbe mistaken.

However stretching before and after aid greatly in injury prevention/rehad.

AKC22

Awards
The only problem with fst7 is that there is not really anything proving it right now. I'm pretty sure that doing regular static stretching will not have any effect during your workout usually only pre and post workout. A dynamic stretch would be more effective during a workout and will increase ROM and allow more of the muscle to be worked out.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have heard stretching your back in the middle of your sets(on back day obviously) aid in width development. I believe Arnold did this often..i coul dbe mistaken.

However stretching before and after aid greatly in injury prevention/rehad.
Acute static stretching will not decrease the risk of injury.

Mobility and correct warm ups may.

Chronic (6-8 weeks worth) of static may decrease injury risk.

Br

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Acute static stretching will not decrease the risk of injury.

Mobility and correct warm ups may.

Chronic (6-8 weeks worth) of static may decrease injury risk.

Br
Thank You for elaborating. I did a poor job of properly explaining. Reps

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Zir Red I agree with. Mobility and correct warm ups prior to training is critical to prevent injury. Stretching after training can help with flexibility, but you need to properly stretch. For example you are stretching the hamstrings. You are sitting down and reaching for you toes with your feet facing the sky. You stretch for 15 to 60 seconds. Let go for no more than 5 seconds then stretch again for 4 sets. This is the most effective manner to stretch, The mechanism behind this is your muscle spindle (MS) prevents from stretching, which is why you don't feel a stretch until later. After about 7 seconds the Golgi Tendon Organ (GTO) overrides this mechanism of MS and allows you to fully get a stretch. This form of stretching is good for flexibility and injury prevention. The only down fall of this stretching is it consumes time.

To add to this, an understanding of anatomy and kinesiology may also help.

For example, when most people stretch the hamstrings, they're spines are flexed, which does nothing to increase hamstring lengthening. Keeping the spine flat will ensure that your stretch is at the hip and not the 20 some-odd intervertebral joints.

In addition, the hamstring has no action at the ankle. However, point the toes up (dorsi flexion) increases the sensation of the stretch. Why? Because it increases stretch on the sciatic nerve. Keep the ankles plantar flexed, you release tension on the sciatic, and get a greater stretch of the hamstrings.

Interesting stuff.

Br

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
FST 7 stretches the muscle by pumping it full of blood, not by regular stretching methods. I've been doing it since early summer and although the strength gains aren't there compared to other routines, it definitely adds mass like it's supposed to do

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Also, I like to do DC style weighted stretching afterwards.

And while on the subject the P90X stretch routine is pretty sweet.

brettbigboy

brettbigboy

Awards
You ever see a lion stretch before it takes down zebra..

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I always stretch before I kill and eat something ;)

Tboz

Banned
Awards
I have to stretch out and warm up before i workout. I usually always strecth between sets and try flexing as well.. I thought the theroy behind strecthing was to keep the muscles stimulated and try to stretch to get as much blood in the muscle as possible.
It also helps me in recovery

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have to stretch out and warm up before i workout. I usually always strecth between sets and try flexing as well.. I thought the theroy behind strecthing was to keep the muscles stimulated and try to stretch to get as much blood in the muscle as possible.
It also helps me in recovery

Doing light cardio (jumping jacks) between sets will improve blood flow, recovery, and may even lead to increased hypertrophy. If you wan't, I'll try to dig up the article.

Flexing will actually decrease blood flow to the muscle, which may also stimulate hypertrophy by creating a build up of biproducts.

Stretching between sets doesn't do very much for hypertrophy stimulation.

Br

muscleshreder

muscleshreder

Awards
You ever see a lion stretch before it takes down zebra..
Yes if you ever look at everyday lions they tend to get their stetch in early in the morning or upon waking up, in which then they go on the hunt for some striped horse meat.

091012+stretching+lions+1.jpg

SizeUp

Awards
i think stretching after training could help you avoid and injury by making sure you're not to tight. but agree that before or during workout could hinder progress

annaalex75

annaalex75

Awards
the stretching is the most important thing. if u don't stretch befor and after exersisrs u can get really big problems in your muascels