Training Masks

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
These are freaking everywhere right now in MMA. Ads are prevalent (I'm sure there will be a Google ad underneath) and they're sponsoring many fighters. Seeing all of these things pop in have inspired me to start and S&C blog where I dive into some of the research (it's a blog, not a thesis) and give it a yay or nay.

My first one can be read here

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
sounds to me like those wrist bands that a lot of famous athletes were wearing that swore it improved their balance...all psychological?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
sounds to me like those wrist bands that a lot of famous athletes were wearing that swore it improved their balance...all psychological?
I wouldn't put them in the same category as those bracelets, which are just blatant fraud.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
I would deff agree at least there is a good "theory" behind these masks. I am no expert on how high altitude training works..but does the increase in pressure at high altitudes not have some play in the adaptation that these masks are not taking into account?

EDIT: meant decrease in pressure lol

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I would deff agree at least there is a good "theory" behind these masks. I am no expert on how high altitude training works..but does the increase in pressure at high altitudes not have some play in the adaptation that these masks are not taking into account?

EDIT: meant decrease in pressure lol
There are two things noticed from altitude events: anaerobic athletes see an increase in performance, but aerobic athletes see a decrease. Why this happens is not 100% certain, but the speculation is that the thinner air makes for less resistance and drag for anaerobic events. It takes time for the real adaptations to occur and it doesn't really happen in a 60 minute conditioning session. There have actually been specially built houses to simulate living in altitude to try to get the benefits of altitude without having to go through the adaptation period.

dalexander

dalexander

Awards
Wow ..masks now... I know a lot of fighters have custom high altitude chambers to sleep in, but masks seems pretty wield and interesting. I have always understood that the "sleep high train low" method was the most useful in EPO production, so it seems unclear to me why they would use the mask during cardio?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Wow ..masks now... I know a lot of fighters have custom high altitude chambers to sleep in, but masks seems pretty wield and interesting. I have always understood that the "sleep high train low" method was the most useful in EPO production, so it seems unclear to me why they would use the mask during cardio?
They market it to simulate altitude training without knowing the science of it.