Pain in right bicep

newman897

newman897

Awards
I get this pain in my right bicep on bi and tri day. It's the inner part of it right where it dips into the elbow joint area. It only hurts at the top of any curl not so much hammer curls though guess cause theres not to much focus on it. But at top of curl there is a sharp pain there?

Routine is mostly super sets of 5 sets 12 reps. I don't go extremely heavy and once I start to lose form I lower weight on next set.
Anyone got any clue to why I have pain at bottom of bicep and only on right side and only on bi and tri day.

Steakumm

Steakumm

Awards
I got the same pain on the left it's sharp sometimes when I would push through it It would sorta burn too. the past month I have only done Bi's real light. I took off three days last week and it felt a little better but gives me trouble when I do back not so much on chest or shoulders.
So what is it ???????

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
I am not 100% on what you described but it could be connective tissue. Muscles build faster than connective tissue in a lot of cases and if you increase your weights too fast your connective tissue might not have time to "catch up". If it is connective tissue you just need to keep the intensity in the exercises that affect it to a lower intensity to let the connective tissue heal and catch up. Or an alternate option is to switch to exercises that minimize the discomfort.

newman897

newman897

Awards
Steakumms you pretty much described exactly what I have going on to

Bigdave do ya think it's from going to hard over time that's causing it or to hard during that workout? And when I do bi's I do 5 sets increasing weight each tome should I stay at a lighter weight so the tissue could heal ?

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Like I said I am not 100% that it is a connective tissue issue. However, if that is the issue then either switching the specific exercise to one that does not cause the discomfort would be an option or lowering the weight for a workout or two until the pain subsides. It is always best to lower the weight slightly vs the alternative, which could be a major injury setting you back months if more damage is done. If you have access to someone educated in this area like a personal trainer or a physical therapist it may be a good idea to ask them about your problem. I hope it resolves itself soon, though.

newman897

newman897

Awards
thanks for the response ill try lowering the weight for a few weeks to see if things get better

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
try cutting down the volume a bit.... a few sets of pullups, and 1-2 sets of curls are all you need..... as long as yourre squatting/deadlifting, your arms will grow... give it some time to heal, its prob tendonitis

newman897

newman897

Awards
Squatting and deadlifting is done although not a fan of them. Think I'll skip this week on arm and lower intensity thanks guys

newman897

newman897

Awards
Something I just thought of when I do deadlifts, stiff leg dead lifts and bent over barbell rows I use a alternated grip right hand palm facing the bar. Could this be putting the extra stress on my arm ?

Steakumm

Steakumm

Awards
Steakumms you pretty much described exactly what I have going on to

Bigdave do ya think it's from going to hard over time that's causing it or to hard during that workout? And when I do bi's I do 5 sets increasing weight each tome should I stay at a lighter weight so the tissue could heal ?
I do BI's the same way 5 sets goin heavier each set , I haven't done bi's at all in the past two weeks(only did tris once and very light) and the discomfort is pretty much gone Tonight I'll do back and if it still feels good tomorrow I'll do a very light bi workout.

AKC22

Awards
I had almost the exact same pain as what you're describing about 2 years ago. It got so bad that I went to an orthopedist and I was told I had tendinitis in my biceps. I had to stop training bis for a little while as wel as do some physical therapy. If you're ok with it I would say to lay off biceps entirely because otherwise you might be stressing the tendon to the point where it could possibly tear.

crunch13

crunch13

Awards
AKC is right. Ive been down this road several times over the years and the biggest thing ive learned is to back off and rebuild. If its doable on your own without surgery and phys.therapy. Ive found if its a direct hit exercise that aggravates, try incorporating indirect that still hits that area. Alot of times i think the tendons and underlying muscle fibers are not strong enough to take the trauma they do. Shoulders especially...

Try more lat pulls, close, wide and underhand grip along with more rows and do one direct hit bicep exercise on same workout. Adjust as you need, but a balls out bi day of 12-15 sets is not in your future for a bit. Alot of people give hype to glucosamine chondroitin and may help, but never did squat for me. However, Osteosport by Applied Nutriceuticals has damn near been ' The ' magic pill for me.

Part of not being injured is identifying before to late and workin out the kinks yourself by training smart...it can be done. Good luck!

AKC22

Awards
Yeah that's definitely the best thing you can do. Some supplements may help. I've heard osteosport is good too. Glucosamine chondroitin has no definitive results in tests.

newman897

newman897

Awards
Thanks I'll look into osteosport...I have dropped the intensity down and that's helped alot and I've dropped incline curls to because after dropping the intensity I felt fine until I did them and once I drop them I feel alot better thanks guys

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
same pain for me about 3 weeks ago. buy some bio freeze and a heating pad. I put on bio freeze in the morning, pre workout and post workout with the heating pad at night. its been 3 weeks and im at about 90% pain free