Anterior deltoid atrophy

alewisdvm

Awards
Hello,
5'9"
15 years ago, dislocated left shoulder with axillary nerve injury. Dislocated 4 more times
Got arm arthroscopically stabilized in 2000. Lost some abduction, but stable

Question:
In the mirror and raising both arms out to sides, it is very apparent I have anterior deltoid muscle atrophy.
Now, I am not confident that even P.T. will restore any of that muscle.

So, if anterior deltoid is to remain atrophied forever, how should this impact my workout?
1. Should I still do front raises, or is it just going to make the good arm anterior deltoid even more prominent than the other.

Just unsure how this atrophy should impact rest of workout.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hello,
5'9"
15 years ago, dislocated left shoulder with axillary nerve injury. Dislocated 4 more times
Got arm arthroscopically stabilized in 2000. Lost some abduction, but stable

Question:
In the mirror and raising both arms out to sides, it is very apparent I have anterior deltoid muscle atrophy.
Now, I am not confident that even P.T. will restore any of that muscle.

So, if anterior deltoid is to remain atrophied forever, how should this impact my workout?
1. Should I still do front raises, or is it just going to make the good arm anterior deltoid even more prominent than the other.

Just unsure how this atrophy should impact rest of workout.
I dont know the answer to what your future holds for you. What I can say is that if you have some sort of asymmetry, then if you do the same weight with both muscles, the bigger muscle will either grow at a slower rate or not grow at all while your smaller muscle will grow faster. At some point you should achieve symmetry. This is all assuming proper periodization in your training. If you do alternating exercises, always start with your weaker muscle first each rep (if a weak left bicep, start alternating bicep curls with the left arm; weak anterior shoulder, start doing dumbbell presses with the left shoulder first).