Cavs

hardgain3r

hardgain3r

Awards
My cav are small and it's hell everything else will grow fine but them I do standing raises and seated 3x a week 3x10 alot of my friends joke and say it's a black mans curse but chicken legs is nothing to joke about lol

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think the value of triple extension work for calf development is overlooked in the bodybuilding community (and seated calf raises are over-rated). Some hang clean pulls will do wonders for your calves.

Br

hardgain3r

hardgain3r

Awards
I think the value of triple extension work for calf development is overlooked in the bodybuilding community (and seated calf raises are over-rated). Some hang clean pulls will do wonders for your calves.

Br
Thanx I will try anything to get them to grow...I live in Florida and wearing pants dang near all year sucks lol

Loryan12

Awards
I am in same boat have been lifting for 5 yrs and have gotten very little calf growth.. I do donkey calf, standing calf, seated, all kinds of diff shcemes for reps and sets no luck. Thankfully New Mexico isnt pant hell :)

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to share personal experience with me...

I've worked out my calves forever with NO GROWTH, and I mean, nada, zip, zero. It sucked. It was my lagging muscle by a freaking MILE. Until I started DC workout and a split they have, which has tremendously helped me with my calves improvement. I've seen some REAL changes within months and I can now see my two cav muscles popping up on each side.

Here's my workout and I would suggest this to anyone...

Pick one exercise, whatever it may be. So lets say seated calve raises.

Explode up, 5 second negative on the way down, 5 second stretch when it's overextended at the lowest point. Explode up. That's one rep. Do this for 10 reps or whatever you can manage. This should REALLY wear you out.

Now, add some weight to the exercise, not a lot, some. Explode up, 2 second negative, explode, this is one. Do a rest pause for this. So say, 6, 4, 2 reps, consecutively with merely 10 seconds rest in between.

This has helped me grow them tremendously. Hope it helps.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
Triple extension or plyometrics are your best bet. Unfortunately though if the genetics aren't there... don't expect any miracles.

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
sprints combined with directional changes like those basketball drills will overload your calves more. Soccer players do the most of these types of directional changing sprints in training and in a game... they also have the largest calves. coincidence?

GameSpeed

Awards
My cav are small and it's hell everything else will grow fine but them I do standing raises and seated 3x a week 3x10 alot of my friends joke and say it's a black mans curse but chicken legs is nothing to joke about lol

i know a few dudes who had small calves, and the only way they could build them was with HIGH REPS. no jokes. isolate your calves and do reps of a few hundred, even a thousand if you have to.

might sound crazy but it works.

twizitid

Awards
I have the same problem. I recently started using this training method.
Seated calf raises 3 x 12,8,8
Between sets shaking calfs
And straight to standing body weight calf raises
3x 12,12,12
And each rep explosive
Then I go back to seated with no rest but this time I go up with both calfs down with 1.
Make sure you get the full stretch and go almost to the point of cramping!
You can do this around 3 times a week.

hardgain3r

hardgain3r

Awards
I have the same problem. I recently started using this training method.
Seated calf raises 3 x 12,8,8
Between sets shaking calfs
And straight to standing body weight calf raises
3x 12,12,12
And each rep explosive
Then I go back to seated with no rest but this time I go up with both calfs down with 1.
Make sure you get the full stretch and go almost to the point of cramping!
You can do this around 3 times a week.
Thanx I did it 4x15 today

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here's my workout and I would suggest this to anyone...

Pick one exercise, whatever it may be. So lets say seated calve raises.

Explode up, 5 second negative on the way down, 5 second stretch when it's overextended at the lowest point. Explode up. That's one rep. Do this for 10 reps or whatever you can manage. This should REALLY wear you out.

Now, add some weight to the exercise, not a lot, some. Explode up, 2 second negative, explode, this is one. Do a rest pause for this. So say, 6, 4, 2 reps, consecutively with merely 10 seconds rest in between.
Game Speed:

i know a few dudes who had small calves, and the only way they could build them was with HIGH REPS. no jokes. isolate your calves and do reps of a few hundred, even a thousand if you have to.

might sound crazy but it works.
And here we see the genetic difference, especially like those of the muscles in the lower leg. What bla55 describes is targeting fast twitch fibers. Someone with a greater proportion of white fibers will probably get better results from triple extension work, sprinting, and explosive movements.

Gamespeed describes gains from endurance work, which do not recruit large MUs (to a high degree) and thus probably result in adaptations to the red fibers. So, someone with more slow twitch calf fibers would get best results from high reps.

This may also be seen in two people who work similar jobs that involve a LOT of walking, however one has developed huge calves and the other not so much. Person A - high amount of slow twitch fibers.

Practical application - get a muscle biopsy, analyze for fiber types, then program the workout accordingly.

Br

bboyflash

Awards
I feel your pain bro, in the same boat....2 words jump rope! Added 1/2 on my calves doin 3 sessions a week for a month! Hope this helps

MOTOengineer

Awards
I saw the beat growth in my calves doing Romanian deadlifts. Just make sure your lifting to isolate the calves and not the lower back.

tuton11

tuton11

Awards
  • Established
I am in same boat have been lifting for 5 yrs and have gotten very little calf growth.. I do donkey calf, standing calf, seated, all kinds of diff shcemes for reps and sets no luck. Thankfully New Mexico isnt pant hell :)
Nice to see Im not the only one from NM here haha

biggerthantex

biggerthantex

Awards

Br
Very good point about seated calf raises. You want to do most ur lifts with u a somewhat straight leg movement(dont lock out knees). when u do the seated exercises it is just working ur lower calf muscle and is shoving it under the others causing the illusion that u are gaining calf muscle growth

Amerry

Awards
I saw the beat growth in my calves doing Romanian deadlifts. Just make sure your lifting to isolate the calves and not the lower back.

What are the Romanian raises ?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cleveland just isn't the same without LeBron.

This is about the Cavs, right? :D

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
There were a couple things that helped mine
-deadlifts
-squats
-walking on a treadmill at a high incline

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
And here we see the genetic difference, especially like those of the muscles in the lower leg. What bla55 describes is targeting fast twitch fibers. Someone with a greater proportion of white fibers will probably get better results from triple extension work, sprinting, and explosive movements.

Gamespeed describes gains from endurance work, which do not recruit large MUs (to a high degree) and thus probably result in adaptations to the red fibers. So, someone with more slow twitch calf fibers would get best results from high reps.

This may also be seen in two people who work similar jobs that involve a LOT of walking, however one has developed huge calves and the other not so much. Person A - high amount of slow twitch fibers.

Practical application - get a muscle biopsy, analyze for fiber types, then program the workout accordingly.

Br
Wow this sounds like it could really take ur training to the next level. How much would it coast to get everything done? Have you personally had it done?

kaikara

kaikara

Awards
  • Established
sprints combined with directional changes like those basketball drills will overload your calves more. Soccer players do the most of these types of directional changing sprints in training and in a game... they also have the largest calves. coincidence?
I was a soccer player in highschool. My calves are huge!

I keep them that way with standing calf raises (barbell on my back, 275lbs, 15-20 reps, varying toe position to hit from different angles), and calf presses on the leg press machine (legs extended, feet hanging off the bottom, just my toes and the ball of my foot on the platform, pushing 450lbs 10-15 reps)

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow this sounds like it could really take ur training to the next level. How much would it coast to get everything done? Have you personally had it done?
I have not had it done...sticking a 10-12 gaugle needle into me and removing an inch long cylander of muscle doesnt sound so fun.
Check out local universities, they are often doing studies that require biopses - by volunteering, you'll get a lot of cool info about your physiology.

There's other ways to estimate...though its more practical for large movements such as squat, press, or bench than calf raises.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Martyfnemec Sports Talk 9
Training Forum 2