Are front squats lower back pain free?

Santee

Santee

Awards
I can get full ROM of them pain free but I just perfected the move with lightweights, will I get lower back pain when I go heavier. I tend to get lower back pain on back squat when I perform full ROM Due to hip flexibility issues.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can get full ROM of them pain free but I just perfected the move with lightweights, will I get lower back pain when I go heavier. I tend to get lower back pain on back squat when I perform full ROM Due to hip flexibility issues.

Lower back pain FREE would be pushing it a little. I think the reason they are less stressful on the back is mostly because we can't use nearly as much weight front squatting as we can back squatting. I could be completely wrong. I find that most of the problems coming from teh back squat are due to shoulder stiffness. Not being able to support the bar well enough so that when drop down you're not rounding up your back to keep the bar up on your traps.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are getting lower back pain then you are either not performing the movement correctly or you have strength/flexibility deficiencies that are being compensated for and leading to pain.

Br

Santee

Santee

Awards
If you are getting lower back pain then you are either not performing the movement correctly or you have strength/flexibility deficiencies that are being compensated for and leading to pain.

Br
You're completely correct, should I use front squats to get my strength up in the lower movement of the back squat? Or go light on the back squat? What happens is, when I perform back squats when I start going below parallel my butt sinks in.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
"Butt sinking in". By this do you mean your pelvis curls underneath you causing lower back to round. I.e.: You go 'duck butt'.

If that is the case, then the cause is most likely due to lack of hamstring flexibility and weak spinal erectors and local core muscles.

If, as is quite common, as you descend your lower back excessively arches, and then at the bottom your pelvis curls underneath, then you have lower cross syndrome: tight hip flexors and hamstrings, weak glutes and abdominals.

Br

TateFTW

TateFTW

Awards
1. If you have mobility issues, then you need to fix them with mobility exercises.

2. If you can't go below parallel without your butt tucking, don't go bellow parallel. That's fine. I'm also having some hip issues and they won't let me go below parallel in the back squat without major hip pain. I'm working in my mobility, but I still back squat as low as I can go without too much pain.

newman897

newman897

Awards
Try doing quadraped rock movement or scare crow movement pattern to help keep the arch in your back