Forcing trap growth

Bigugly

Bigugly

Awards
I've tried just about everything and can't seem to get my traps (or upper back) to grow. My traps are so pathetic that when I pose they make me look unbalanced.

Anyone have the same problem. Post up your trap routines please!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
define everything? and i assume size is your goal which i am a fan of 1-2 times a week, higher volume total sets, with 5-12 reps.

as in all exercises? i am a fan of hang power cleans and inverted rows for traps.

as in all rep/set ranges? 10x3, 5x5, 5/3/1, 8x8, GVT, 3x10-12, etc, etc.....

as in all frequency/volume set ups? 1 day, 2 day, 3 day, 4 days a week. high volume day with low volume day. or any other combination.

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
Most likely it is because you are failing to really squeeze at the top of the motion. If you just go through the motions you will not obtain the goals you are looking for. Try doing some high rows and underhand barbell rows and really focus on squeezing your shoulder blades together and maybe throw in a rest pause or drop set to really get the blood in there.

Bigugly

Bigugly

Awards
Most likely it is because you are failing to really squeeze at the top of the motion. If you just go through the motions you will not obtain the goals you are looking for. Try doing some high rows and underhand barbell rows and really focus on squeezing your shoulder blades together and maybe throw in a rest pause or drop set to really get the blood in there.
I think you're correct. I'll make sure to really squeeze at the top

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
make sure your squeezing them together behind your neck if that makes sense

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Snatches gave me the trap growth I ever experienced.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Snatches gave me the trap growth I ever experienced.
snatches are great for that. even snatch grip deads and even another i totally forgot about, farmers!

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts and power shrugs WILL make your traps grow.

dalexander

dalexander

Awards
1) Deadlift on a trap bar.
2)Pullups hit traps 3 and 4 (lower portion)
3) most impt shrugs keep you head down it increases the length of rep.
4) when shruging on squat rack push the barbell all the way foward so it leans agienst rack. flex your hips foward so upper body is at a slight angle. complete shrug motion. this variation will hit traps 1 and 2 upper portion and put size on fast.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I usually do my traps on shoulders/traps day. The only two trap exercises I ever do are BB Shrugs and DB Shrugs. Do 5-7 sets of 10 on a heavy weight.

You can also throw in holds and negatives. Make sure your nutrition is in order.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Can you post a photo? It's just that while I have good traps, I'd feel like an ass giving advice to someone with even larger traps than mine who wants them to be bigger, you know?

Bigugly

Bigugly

Awards
Can you post a photo? It's just that while I have good traps, I'd feel like an ass giving advice to someone with even larger traps than mine who wants them to be bigger, you know?
No, sorry don't do pics lol

Thanks for all the ideas guys! I applied many of these ideas to my training and my Traps are starting to grow.. I think!

BEcAST

Awards
I usually do Power Shrugs/Power Cleans

3-5 sets of 6 reps

heavy weights of course.