abdominal pressure on leg press?

Dan

Awards
I noticed that during leg presses, it feels like there is a lot of pressure on my lower abdominal area when I'm pressing out of the lower portion of the movement. I'm afraid I may injure myself this way (eg hernia), is there anything I can do to avoid this?

Grant

Awards
  • Established
Flex your Abs and back, I feel the same thing.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
It's hard to say without actually seeing how you sit but make sure your lower back is firmly against the back of the seat. I see some guys slide down a bit or come off the seat which can put pressure on the area.

Dan

Awards
Come to think of it, seat of the leg press at my gym is a little low and sometimes I see people stick an extra pad on it so they sit up higher. I'll try flexing my abs/back as well. Thanks guys.

Grifty McGrift

Awards
Come to think of it, seat of the leg press at my gym is a little low and sometimes I see people stick an extra pad on it so they sit up higher. I'll try flexing my abs/back as well. Thanks guys.
Also, don't hold your breath, slowly release durring the press. I know i ran into problems with that durring deads... i would get a burning about 2 inches in from my hip on my lower abs... like the muscle was pulling apart... after thinking about it i realized i was "bearing down" too hard by holding my breath. that should also help.

Dan

Awards
Same thing happens to me when I forget to let my breath out on deads.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
No problem, try the breathing technique as well. later J