My cardio plan.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
Goal: To decrease bodyfat, and increase cardiovascular health/endurance.

Routine: Weights every other day w/HIIT on days off.
Day #1: Chest/Shoulders/Tris-followed by low intensity cardio.
Day #2: HIIT cardio
Day #3: Legs/Abs
Day #4: HIIT cardio
Day #5: Back/Bi's- followed by low intensity cardio.
Day #6: HIIT cardio
Day #7: repeat cycle
Question: I do low intensity cardio after my workouts on training days(except legs) to take advantage of, and burn circulating ffa's. I like to do HIIT style cardio on the days that I do not train w/weights so that I can increase cardiovascular endurance/health. My favorite form of HIIT is jumping rope. How should I go about doing this.

Option 1. First thing in the morning on an empty stomach. (Worried about muscle catabolism doing HIIT style cardio, but like the fat lose aspects of doing this on an empty stomach.)

Option 2. First thing in the morning after 20 gms whey, and 1 cup skim milk.

Option 3. Something i haven't thought of yet.

Stats: 5'10" 215. BF%: 6% (chekced by two different people w/callipers but I don't believe them think it's more like 9-10 by looking in the mirror.)

Also: How long should low intensity cardio last after a weight training session? I would imagine that your body begins using fat as energy much quicker than normal b/c of the previous weight training session. Is 30 minutes enough?

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
I know many of you may think that this is overtraining, and excessive cardio but I really can't consider low intensity cardio as much of a training session. I feel like I'm really only doing 3 days of cardio in the cycle listed above. My real problem is that I want to maximize fat lose, and also maximize endurance w/out trying to run 6 minute miles, and I also enjoy the challenge of a tough HIIT session.

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
That looks good bro...I prefer HIIT cardio and besides playing basketball all I do is HIIT.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
That looks good bro...I prefer HIIT cardio and besides playing basketball all I do is HIIT.
What do you think about doing the HIIT on an empty stomach or after some whey?

cbcortez

Awards
i guess if you can stand the muscle loss go for it...thats what i did for a year and damn i shrank from 275 to 190. and people all thought i was on drugs hahaha....

but if you can grab that whey it should help minimize the catabolism i guess....

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
how much of that 85 lbs was muscle? I hope not too much.

cbcortez

Awards
how much of that 85 lbs was muscle? I hope not too much.
A LOT!!
i was around 30% BF when i was 275lb via calipers

now im 8.5% at 190lb but they use this thing where you put this sensor on top of your bicep so it aint accurate i think. id say maybe 15% bf now.

but **** i lost around probably 40lbs LBM due to that bad diet and all out cardio regimen for year and a half. Ive been on, i think, a better diet just these past 2 to 3 months. Just taking in something pre and post is making things better for me i feel.. I dont feel too lethargic during the day and i can lift better.

lesson?? DONT do high intensity or even medium intensity cardio on an empty stomach especially if youre on a caloric deficit.

if youre really gonna do cardio after weight training i suggest real low intensity, walking or relaxed cycling for 20-30 minutes....this is because you dont wanna go over the threshold of whats aerobic and anaerobic, if you cross that line youll be using muscle and amino acids to make glucose for energy instead of fat. Dont get me wrong i thin you will still use some of those muscle because the body uses all energy sources but if its aerobic youll minimize it.

Of course thats just me after learning all these stuff from the great minds here and at bb.com if i am mistaken please correct me because i dont wanna giev out bad advice. I learn more and that makes me better.

thanks for listening!

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
A LOT!!
i was around 30% BF when i was 275lb via calipers

now im 8.5% at 190lb but they use this thing where you put this sensor on top of your bicep so it aint accurate i think. id say maybe 15% bf now.

but **** i lost around probably 40lbs LBM due to that bad diet and all out cardio regimen for year and a half. Ive been on, i think, a better diet just these past 2 to 3 months. Just taking in something pre and post is making things better for me i feel.. I dont feel too lethargic during the day and i can lift better.

lesson?? DONT do high intensity or even medium intensity cardio on an empty stomach especially if youre on a caloric deficit.

if youre really gonna do cardio after weight training i suggest real low intensity, walking or relaxed cycling for 20-30 minutes....this is because you dont wanna go over the threshold of whats aerobic and anaerobic, if you cross that line youll be using muscle and amino acids to make glucose for energy instead of fat. Dont get me wrong i thin you will still use some of those muscle because the body uses all energy sources but if its aerobic youll minimize it.

Of course thats just me after learning all these stuff from the great minds here and at bb.com if i am mistaken please correct me because i dont wanna giev out bad advice. I learn more and that makes me better.

thanks for listening!
Thanks bro, I think your correct on the Low intensity cardio after a workout. My real question is about the HIIT training on an empty stomach. And i think i agree w/you. Especially for how lean i am now. I just really like the endurance, and cardiovascular benefits of doing higher intensity cardio. So what would you/everyone recommend me eat before a HIIT training session. I was thinking 20 grams whey, and 20 grams of carbs from oats.

cbcortez

Awards
Thanks bro, I think your correct on the Low intensity cardio after a workout. My real question is about the HIIT training on an empty stomach. And i think i agree w/you. Especially for how lean i am now. I just really like the endurance, and cardiovascular benefits of doing higher intensity cardio. So what would you/everyone recommend me eat before a HIIT training session. I was thinking 20 grams whey, and 20 grams of carbs from oats.
if you take out my muscle milk half scoop i end up having the same thing.

1 scoop oats = 22g carbs
1 scoop ON = 22g protein
half scoop MM = 8g P and 3g C.....but like what BoBo said he doesnt like MM hehehe i might take this out as soon as i finish my tub.....

i think you need to listen to your body, im currently discussing this too at the BB.com site
If you seem to cant get enough power for that HIIT session i guess its a clear sign to up the carbs a bit, i dont think changing it to a high GI will benefit you here though. So add prolly another half scoop oats. If you can still finish the session with enough power i think youre taking in the right amount...you wanna know what, i just thought about this right now and this doesnt sound bad an advice at all and im gonna use it for myself...lately my HIIT session has been lagging in power. Either i eat more carbs the night before or more in my preworkout shake 45 mins before hitting the gym (AM cardio)

So thanks also man, discussing things like these actually make us think through better and end up learning from ourselves!!!