I hate the smith machine - AnabolicMinds.com

I hate the smith machine

1. New Member
    Answers

I hate the smith machine

but in my gym, theres never anybody to spot on the regular bench.
    my question is, should i use the regular bench, and just stop 2 or 3
    reps from failure, or should i use the smith machine and go to failure?
    One other question, if i wanted to work some powerlifting into my routine
    and im using a regular type 3 day split, Chest / tri's, back/biceps, and legs,
    how would i go about doing that? Could i do one or two sets of really
    heavy weight at the 2-4 rep range either before or after my regular workout?
    or do i need to do it on different days?

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Answers

I never use spotters,find a weight you can get 6-8 then do half reps.Most pople in the gym do not know how to spot anyway...ps I love the smith machine not sure what you do not like about it..Also Try Dumbell press you can always drop them if your stuck and they are 10 times more effective than a bar IMO.

3. New Member
    Answers

Thanks for the advice. the reason i guess i dont like the smith machine
    is because i only hear bad things about it. Mainly that it excludes the smaller
    stabilizing muscles, and you dont progess as much. In my school all i had was
    a smith machine, and i worked out using 2 45lb plates. Now that was pretty
    crappy to begin with, and when i got a gym membership, and tried a regular
    bench i could only use 2 25 lb plates. So i guess thats why i dont like the smith
    machine. What do you mean when you say half reps, do half that amount of reps,
    or do reps that are only about half of the motion?

•   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

One way to get better muscle recruitment out of the smith machine is use slow negatives and explosive positives.

I use DB presses almost exclusively since I have no spotter. Safer and quite a bit harder than standard flat bench.

5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    One way to get better muscle recruitment out of the smith machine is use slow negatives and explosive positives.

I use DB presses almost exclusively since I have no spotter. Safer and quite a bit harder than standard flat bench.
    I agree, I use DB's for chest

I have a smith machine at home for this purpose though (no spotter and only have up to 100lb DB's). I don't see a major problem with the smith as long as you know that your weight will not be equivalent on a free bar and you switch it up occasionally, if you really want to use it.

Another consideration for me however, is that since I'm doing HST, I don't need to go to failure

6. Senior Member
    Answers

yup if the lack of a spotter is your issue, hit the dumbells. the smith isnt that bad of a machine. many people knock them but thats because they compare it to free weights. working around/following an injury, i find the smith very helpful. The plane of motion you're given using the smith machine could be a good thing too if you're a beginner (getting correct form down), and/or coming off an injury. But if you dont fall into these two categories, i would perform more dumbell exercises and hit failure. Its too bad you wont be able to perform forced reps often on
    Sage

7. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Get yourself a pair of these...The best $50 I ever spent..They hang off your olympic bar and after a set do some half reps to balst your pecs,then all you got to do to hook em is turn your wrist...NICE

8. Superman
    Answers

I really like db presses over barbell. Hey Jweave, for HST do you do flat or incline db presses?

9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Answers

low incline, not very steep at all

10. Board Supporter
    Answers

Although IMO there is a BIG difference between using the smith machine for upper body presses vs. squats..Squating 325 on a Smith Machine is NOTHING AT ALL like REALLY squating 325..Just been my personal experience.

11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Squatting free vs smith is a totally different experience. For one on the Smith, I don't feel terrified that I'm going to break my spine in half if I **** up. lol

12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Answers

yeah I agree they feel completely different. My smith machine is very "heavy" feeling, it doesn't have the same assistance cables some do in gyms. That is good IMO because it gives me a better guage of what I would actually be lifting for free weights, but the motion is not nearly the same. I don't really mind either one, it just depends what I've been using at the time for how different it feels.

13. New Member
    Answers

I love the Smith machine. I have a home gym and it is my bread and buttah. Squatting on it is great because I can extend my feet way in front of the bar and make it a true quad exercise, instead of a hammy and butt builder.

I also DB press.

14. New Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MaDmaN
    Get yourself a pair of these...
    Those are pretty cool Madman, a very good replacement for plates.

cm5

15. Senior Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MaDmaN
    Get yourself a pair of these...The best $50 I ever spent..They hang off your olympic bar and after a set do some half reps to balst your pecs,then all you got to do to hook em is turn your wrist...NICE

Good ****! I have a pair of those to I think mine are called power hooks. I got them out of an add at the back of a muscle mag a few years back.

16. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Answers

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Manu20
    I really like db presses over barbell. Hey Jweave, for HST do you do flat or incline db presses?
    Ditto
    You're able to get a greater stretch with the db than with a bb.

I would only use the Smith machine for squats. I've seen guys at the gym doing standing raises with the Smith machine and all I can do is shake my head. What a waste of time!!
    TheChosen12012 A.P.F California State Champion& 2 Class Record Holder (Deadlifts)

17. SJA
    dead sexy wino
    Answers

One note that I'd like to add about the Smith Machine is that there are a couple of different kinds. There are some with vertical rails and some which have sloped rails. IMO, the vertical rail Smith's have a much better feel for squats and bench. But I like the sloped ones for shrugs (especially behind the back). I think that a lot of people who bitch about the Smith Machine hurting their backs during squats/lunges are using the sloped ones and standing facing the wrong direction.

18. New Member
    Answers

Maybe it's just me, but incline Smith presses really target my chest MUCH more than DBs. I'm extremely parcial to free weights, but with DB presses I feel it more in my biceps/triceps than with the Smith. Could be crappy form I suppose. As far as squats & etc. goes, nothing beats a barbell for me.

Just my 2 cents.

19. New Member
    Answers

I agree Doko. I have made some serious gains in my chest using incline smith. The only thing i dont like about it is that im so paranoid and i have to be sure the bench is right in the middle of the bar, as you cant adjust it after you lift it up like when you are doing free weights.

20. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Answers

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by coofoostu
    I agree Doko. I have made some serious gains in my chest using incline smith. The only thing i dont like about it is that im so paranoid and i have to be sure the bench is right in the middle of the bar, as you cant adjust it after you lift it up like when you are doing free weights.
    Same here, Coofoostu.

I have to set it in the middle and then practice without the plates to make sure that the bench is directly under the bar where I want it. Thank God for Hammer Strength & Flex benches.
    TheChosen12012 A.P.F California State Champion& 2 Class Record Holder (Deadlifts)

21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by notwerby
    but in my gym, theres never anybody to spot on the regular bench.
    my question is, should i use the regular bench, and just stop 2 or 3
    reps from failure, or should i use the smith machine and go to failure?
    One other question, if i wanted to work some powerlifting into my routine
    and im using a regular type 3 day split, Chest / tri's, back/biceps, and legs,
    how would i go about doing that? Could i do one or two sets of really
    heavy weight at the 2-4 rep range either before or after my regular workout?
    or do i need to do it on different days?
    Regular bench! leave the Smith for the girls. If you want to incorporate PLing, work the biggest muscle first, in other words on back day do your Deadlifts first, otherwise you will not be 100% and not get as much out of your workout. You can do some work before but not "to failure" stuff, save that for after.

Smith Machine, I think this makes a great towel rack, it also has other uses like one legged squats or ballistic bench presses. The biggest thing that I hear argued is that you can work around injury. This is ass-backwards, by using the smith you avoid reintigration of the injured muscle, if your body is not ready for the weight you shouldn't be doing it, if you fail on a smith you can not compensate! The bar is fixed and will not move when your shoulder finally gives way. Smith=increased opportunities for injury! The best thing the Smith is good for is keeping folks out of the power rack, I highly encourage it's use in our gym, since those folks will not be in my way. Cuse I sure as hell won't be using it!

22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by amac
    hahaha.. that is so true...

i don't like using the smith machine at all.. i started off doing front squats on it... and could really feel it in my quads.. but since ive worked on my free-weight form, ive found it to be much better and do not use the smith period anymore
    It's not bad for a little isolation work, but you'll definitely get a lot better results from "real" squats. Glad to hear you've left the dark side.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. squatting with the smith machine
    By JHENDRY412 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-26-2013, 12:57 PM
  2. using the Smith Machine to finish off a muscle?
    By suncloud in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 10:48 AM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 11:27 AM
  4. Reverse-Grip Bench Press on Smith Machine for Triceps
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-21-2008, 03:58 AM
  5. Don't hate the leather!
    By bigpetefox in forum Pics
    Replies: 42