Why doesn't anybody know how to spot??

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.13%

Angry Why doesn't anybody know how to spot??

I work out without a partner and so I end up sometimes having to ask for a spot from random people in the gym. I also keep a careful log of my lifts, both weights and rest intervals. Why is it so hard to find someone to spot you without touching the ****ing bar!!? I even tell them, "don't give me any help unless I am completely stuck", and they still grab the damn bar at the first sign of me struggling a bit, slowing reps, etc. It pisses me off because I feel like my whole set is wasted, I have no idea if I made progress that week. Anybody else have this problem? Do any of you have something better to say to make these people understand that I don't want them to touch the damn bar?

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.13%

Originally posted by mc1
    Do any of you have something better to say to make these people understand that I don't want them to touch the damn bar?
    Unless it's crushing my skull don't touch the F*CKING bar please.
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.82%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

"If you touch the bar before I say OK, I'll break my foot off in your *******. Now spot me, and do it right ya ****in whore-bitch."
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.92%

Some people are stupid and want you to help you do reps, like that actually does anything.
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I have a partner. I like when he grabs the bar and doesn't help, or has his hands near it. I end up doing more weight.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.13%

Originally posted by scotty2
    I have a partner. I like when he grabs the bar and doesn't help, or has his hands near it. I end up doing more weight.
    huh? grabs the bar and doesn't help?
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.61%

Originally posted by mc1

huh? grabs the bar and doesn't help?
    Yeah man, what I used to do for my brother was put two fingers under the bar so he knew I wasn't helping, but it gives some form of mental confidence I think. He would always lift more this way, even if I just had a couple fingers on the bar, it's a mental thing. 
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.13%

Originally posted by jweave23

Yeah man, what I used to do for my brother was put two fingers under the bar so he knew I wasn't helping, but it gives some form of mental confidence I think. He would always lift more this way, even if I just had a couple fingers on the bar, it's a mental thing. 
    to me this sounds like a light spot, i often spot with just 2 fingers. you shouldn't need more than that.
  9. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.23%

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jweave23

but it gives some form of mental confidence I think. He would always lift more this way, even if I just had a couple fingers on the bar, it's a mental thing. 
    [/QUOTE

thats exactly it. when you know you have someone there for support, the mentality you have going into a set is that much stronger. no doubt. I work and train at nyu's gym and i have several dudes who stiff-arm other co-workers approaching them to spot them to ask me for a spot (to hype myself up here...ha). A good spotter cant be overlooked. Sage
  10. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.39%

Two finger spots are exactly all you should do. Thats all I ever do, and all I ever want..jackasses doing upright rows while I am benching need to eat a damn plate..pisses me off
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.18%

Originally posted by wardog
    Two finger spots are exactly all you should do. Thats all I ever do, and all I ever want..jackasses doing upright rows while I am benching need to eat a damn plate..pisses me off
    ya...its all you need...it doesnt help if you have the bar yanked out of your hands. its not just barbell bench presses either...i was doin flatbench db presses with no spotter...didnt want or need one...and on my first set this guy decided i needed a spotter and came and pushed up from my elbows. for a sec there it threw off my whole rythm for that set. when i got up i told him i'd ask if i needed or wanted a spot. idiot.
  12. E-BOLLER
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.61%

Originally posted by msclbldrguy

ya...its all you need...it doesnt help if you have the bar yanked out of your hands. its not just barbell bench presses either...i was doin flatbench db presses with no spotter...didnt want or need one...and on my first set this guy decided i needed a spotter and came and pushed up from my elbows. for a sec there it threw off my whole rythm for that set. when i got up i told him i'd ask if i needed or wanted a spot. idiot.
    I had one guy do that to me and I decided to make it seem like I was going to drop it on him. I wish I could've seen the look on his face.
  13. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.21%

Seldom use a spotter for all those reasons. Only on benches when I go up in weight. And like WD and Jweave, I only want a 2 finger spot.
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.18%

Originally posted by Supa Freek 420

I had one guy do that to me and I decided to make it seem like I was going to drop it on him. I wish I could've seen the look on his face.
    I'm just ashamed I didnt think of this myself..but after I got thru with him I dont think he's gonna spot me anymore.
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.18%

Wink Best Method for Spotting

Actually the best method for spotting is Arnolds (I think he said it in Pumping Iron)...when your w/o partner starts his lift, just tell him to call you when he's finished, you'll be up front..heh
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.03%

Beggars canít be choosers.
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.32%

hey, how 'bout doin the negative spot from YJ's article on a random guy next time. *That'll* suprise somebody.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Anybody know how to beat a poloygraph test?
    By witt51 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 02:12 PM
  2. need help ? dont know how to ask.
    By triplez in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 12:09 PM
  3. How to spot a "Juicer" hahah
    By CEDeoudes59 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-06-2006, 11:01 PM
  4. Replies: 5